• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MP Vaughan versus Sehwag ?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Vaughan's career has been a tad disappointing for mine.

Admittedly injuries haven't helped but I really think that for his talent, he should have better numbers than what he has.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually looking forward to reading Richard's views on this one, seeing as they've both played in the same era, and one's average is significantly better than the others.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Actually looking forward to reading Richard's views on this one, seeing as they've both played in the same era, and one's average is significantly better than the others.
A lot of Sehwag's runs have come on the back of dropped catches though, particularly against Pakistan, and he's played very few Test innings of note when confronted with something other than a road of a pitch.

I actually think it's pretty close, and I place less importance on such factors than Richard does, so I'm fairly sure he'll say Vaughan.

Top_Cat

Vaughan's career has been a tad disappointing for mine.

Admittedly injuries haven't helped but I really think that for his talent, he should have better numbers than what he has.
I dunno but I reckon he just had a bit of a purple patch. His Test average is a few runs better than his FC average and I think, after some regression to the mean, he's now where he should be. Really dones make those on here who rated him as one of England's best ever look a bit ridiculous, though.

Burgey

A lot of Sehwag's runs have come on the back of dropped catches though, particularly against Pakistan, and he's played very few Test innings of note when confronted with something other than a road of a pitch.

I actually think it's pretty close, and I place less importance on such factors than Richard does, so I'm fairly sure he'll say Vaughan.
First-chance average?

Vaughan's benefitted from dropped chances though, as has every batsman.

Salamuddin

International Debutant

I see the dropped catches as an irrelevant argument - every player in history has benefited from dropped catches, its part and parcel of the game , you cant cherrypick the stats to say "oh if he had been caught....".

Good players make the most of their chances and you don't get to average 51 after 57 tests unless you are a reasonably good player. Sorry, luck by itself or in a major way does not get you numbers like those after that number of matches as well.

And Sehwag has played several quality innings on pitches I wouldn't classify as roads...calling it a "very few" is unreasonable.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag. He may not be as good as his stats so far suggest, but at the same time he is underrated too. He has a wonderful record against Australia and most of the other stronger sides of his era. When he gets going he will demolish a bowling attack by himself at an unbelievable strike rate.

Vaughan is also a very good batsman with a picturesque technique but I think he hasn't scored enough runs consistently to compare.

Simply put, Sehwag would open for Australia whilst Vaughan would be bringing in drinks.

Last edited: