• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gibbs considers Retirement!!!!!!!

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
today only i read in a local newspaper that Gibbs is thinking of retiring from
international cricket safter being dropped from the test squad......:-O

he said that he is sure that he would not get a place in the odi squad too......

Is South Africa going to loose another great cricketer??????????????:mellow:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surprised that this hasn't been mentioned already. It's old news. Perhaps it's been mentioned and my laziness is preventing me from looking for it.

Gibbs is not a great cricketer though. A good cricketer, who at times was very good. A great fielder, but not a great batsman. In fact, he's been a downright poor Test batsman for some time now and inconsistent in ODIs. He deserved to be dropped from the Test team, though I suppose he does have some merit in ODIs still.

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
may not be in the tests.....

but he is definitely a gr8 batsman of odi's................

i don't know why u people consider old county batsmen with 450 List A matches and
batting average of 35 to be gr8 cricketers..........

sanga1337

U19 Captain
may not be in the tests.....

but he is definitely a gr8 batsman of odi's................

i don't know why u people consider old county batsmen with 450 List A matches and
batting average of 35 to be gr8 cricketers..........
who are you referring too? Gilly?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Fair cop, I'd have probably had him in the ODI's, but he isn't the future of SA cricket.. Good luck to him if he does retire..

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds like he wants to clear the decks to become a Kolpak, and who can blame him at this stage of his career?

Seriously talented batsman, but unfortunately he'll be remembered by a lot of people primarily for that dropped catch.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Never really rated Gibbs terribly highly as either Test or ODI batsman TBH and he's been pretty woeful for a fair while now. Retirement would be best for everyone now really.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Surprised that this hasn't been mentioned already. It's old news. Perhaps it's been mentioned and my laziness is preventing me from looking for it.

Gibbs is not a great cricketer though. A good cricketer, who at times was very good. A great fielder, but not a great batsman. In fact, he's been a downright poor Test batsman for some time now and inconsistent in ODIs. He deserved to be dropped from the Test team, though I suppose he does have some merit in ODIs still.
Old? It was only reported yesterday.

Anyhow, its about time Gibbs retired from the international game, been a great batsman for South Africa over the years and arguably the country’s most 'talented' batsman since readmission but its quite sad watching nowadays and seeing him get out in precisely the same manner over and over again.
I think Boycott summed up Gibbs pretty well last year when he said if he had Herschelle's talent to go with his temperament he would have averaged over 60, for he is that good.

Craig

World Traveller
Maybe it is me but in my opinion he never lived up to his ability. I often got the impression of 'what could of been' with Gibbs.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Never really rated Gibbs terribly highly as either Test or ODI batsman TBH and he's been pretty woeful for a fair while now. Retirement would be best for everyone now really.
20 ODI hundreds (the 5th best of all time), strike rate over 80 with an average over 35, that is superb.

Craig

World Traveller
Sounds like he wants to clear the decks to become a Kolpak, and who can blame him at this stage of his career?

Seriously talented batsman, but unfortunately he'll be remembered by a lot of people primarily for that dropped catch.
And being implicated as a patsy in the Hansie Cronje match fixing scandal, and then getting done for enjoying the 'good stuff' while on tour of the West Indies not long after his 6 month ban (at the time I thought it was going to be the end), and his racial outburst a few years back against Pakistan (or was against India I can't quite remember).

It is ironic that he was/is a great fielder but the first thing people will think of is dropping Steve Waugh in 1999. If only he waited 5 more seconds.

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant

yeah.......definitely:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

and for the magical innings of 175 too.(vs Australia):)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
And being implicated as a patsy in the Hansie Cronje match fixing scandal, and then getting done for enjoying the 'good stuff' while on tour of the West Indies not long after his 6 month ban (at the time I thought it was going to be the end), and his racial outburst a few years back against Pakistan (or was against India I can't quite remember).
It was against Pakistan

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I put him in the Darren Gough category.

Energetic, fun, capable special things, does silly things, good cricketer and has a lasting legacy and most in common the fact they are both dumber than rocks.