• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Poll: No. 4 and 5 in the World Cup Dream XI

Who will be your No.4 and No.5 in your World Cup Dream XI?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ponting as the best ever ODI batsman not yet in the team is a cinch at 4. Went for Steve Waugh for 5 - his WC record is exemplary, he's a massively tough competitor, he can sledge Herschelle Gibbs, plus his bowling might come in handy as well.
Dean Jones IMO.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Not on the list. Jones might have changed ODI batting more than Ponting, but Ponting is as good if not better IMO.

bagapath

International Captain
Dean Jones IMO.

Dean Jones in World Cup

3rd position 1987-1992 12 12 1 419 58* 38.09 567 73.89 0 4 0 17 9
4th position 1992-1992 3 3 0 159 90 53.00 236 67.37 0 1 0 10 2
5th position 1992-1992 1 1 1 12 12* - 8 150.00 0 0 0 0 1

he made it to the no.3 poll but didnt get a single vote. could not be included in the subsequent polls. i am a big fan of his too. but .. (shrugging shoulders)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not on the list. Jones might have changed ODI batting more than Ponting, but Ponting is as good if not better IMO.
Yea, but IMO he is the best Australian ODI player, along with Bevan. Ponting is very good though, so don't particularly mind him winning.

Dean Jones in World Cup

3rd position 1987-1992 12 12 1 419 58* 38.09 567 73.89 0 4 0 17 9
4th position 1992-1992 3 3 0 159 90 53.00 236 67.37 0 1 0 10 2
5th position 1992-1992 1 1 1 12 12* - 8 150.00 0 0 0 0 1

he made it to the no.3 poll but didnt get a single vote. could not be included in the subsequent polls. i am a big fan of his too. but .. (shrugging shoulders)
Yea, I understand he isn't on for that reason.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
no sjs. we didnt have any such condition here.

as you rightly said, most of the great batsmen batted at no.3. so we had a separate poll for that important slot. ricky ponting was the runner up in that no.3 poll. no one else got a single vote. neither zaheer. nor lara. that is why it was not possible to add them, and other greats who didnt get even a single vote, to this poll.
Similarly, if Hammond is pitted against Bradman for a no. 3 spot in a dream test XI, he won't probably get a vote...So, you are not going to consider him for no. 4 and no. 5...I see...

bagapath

International Captain
Similarly, if Hammond is pitted against Bradman for a no. 3 spot in a dream test XI, he won't probably get a vote...So, you are not going to consider him for no. 4 and no. 5...I see...
i would if he meets the minimum requirements for no.4 or no.5. if he didnt cross the min cutoff for any slot other than 3, and if he got zero votes for 3, then i wont nominate him any further.

zaheer abbas (and lara) didnt score the required amount of runs for 4 or 5. if they had, then they would have automatically been in contention too.

i am sure you'll agree with this logic.

bagapath

International Captain
weldone! there is still one wildcard entry available to everyone... why didnt you use it if you strongly believed zaheer abbas deserved to be in?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
i would if he meets the minimum requirements for no.4 or no.5. if he didnt cross the min cutoff for any slot other than 3, and if he got zero votes for 3, then i wont nominate him any further.

zaheer abbas (and lara) didnt score the required amount of runs for 4 or 5. if they had, then they would have automatically been in contention too.

i am sure you'll agree with this logic.
Actually I dont, but its okay. Its all in good fun :)

bagapath

International Captain
there are probably 3 or 4 guys yet to vote. i hope we get a decision on so that i can start the poll for no.6

pasag

RTDAS
Would like to hear a case as to why Inzi > Steve Waugh etc at World Cups, remembering this isn't a poll for the best one-day players per se.

bagapath

International Captain
Would like to hear a case as to why Inzi > Steve Waugh etc at World Cups, remembering this isn't a poll for the best one-day players per se.
i would love to hear it too. in other related threads as well many members are keen to go by overall career records. for example, garner seems to be everyone's favorite to take the new ball and his not making the cut has invited quite a few comments. this is just a world cup XI. i feel steve should win over inzy. but dont see it happening as 30 odd votes are the maximum you get in such polls..

Fusion

Global Moderator
i would love to hear it too. in other related threads as well many members are keen to go by overall career records. for example, garner seems to be everyone's favorite to take the new ball and his not making the cut has invited quite a few comments. this is just a world cup XI. i feel steve should win over inzy. but dont see it happening as 30 odd votes are the maximum you get in such polls..
I'd plead guilty and state my reason for voting Inzi over Waugh is his mesmerizing performance in the '92 WC. All in all though, Waugh has a better record for sure.