• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"why we have 3rd umpire now"

ret

International Debutant
First off, why on Earth has this come up when it happened around 16 years ago immediately before the 3rd umpire was implemented in matches? Seriously, are we that stuck for stuff to debate that we have to bring up something which happened involving a long-retired player for a situation which doesn't happen any more (i.e. decisions given without a, given imperfect, 3rd umpire)? I suspect that, consistent with recent behaviour, ret posted it just be Mr Antagonist. Really, if you're getting a rise out of balanced, mild characters like honestbarani as has happened in other threads, you might want to be less obnoxious.
whats wrong in posting something that happened some time ago? in that case, we shouldn't be discussing anythings thats old be it the all time X1 threads or whatever

if you implying that what happened in the past just coz someone like you doesn't like it shouldn't be discussed then you are wrong. I bet Hitler gets discussed, along with Israel-Palestine issue, even though some ppl may not like that

it's not my fault that Healy claimed that stumping and that it's posted on youtube ....i guess the guy who posted that on youtube is an Antagonist too for you :p .... and the above post of yours make you an Antagonist too for me as you are writing stuff against me just coz i brought a topic that gets you out of your comfort zone, which is not my problem but yours

lastly, less said abt that mild characters that you are talking about the better

lets get back to the topic

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
whats wrong in posting something that happened some time ago? in that case, we shouldn't be discussing anythings thats old be it the all time X1 threads or whatever

if you implying that what happened in the past just coz someone like you doesn't like it shouldn't be discussed then you are wrong. I bet Hitler gets discussed, along with Israel-Palestine issue, even though some ppl may not like that
Bloody hell. Godwin makes an appearance.

The difference is that those other issues are still open discussions. Even Hitler, as there's still debate about how he died, etc.

The issue which provoked this thread is a long dead one; the incident was before 3rd umpires came into effect and probably hastened it a bit. Now, it's done and has been so for ages. The effiicacy of the technology has been stretched on occasion, for sure, but the issue of whether a 3rd umpire is needed is a done deal.

it's not my fault that Healy claimed that stumping and that it's posted on youtube ....i guess the guy who posted that on youtube is an Antagonist too for you :p .... and the above post of yours make you an Antagonist too for me as you are writing stuff against me just coz i brought a topic that gets you out of your comfort zone, which is not my problem but yours
It was posted last year. It's not even current for him.

As for Healy, I'm no fan but according to many who were out there and Healy himself, he didn't claim the stumping; he claimed he didn't know what happened because he was unsighted and asked the umpire to make the decision. Wanna tell me what's wrong with that?

lastly, less said abt that mild characters that you are talking about the better
As I said, you're basically the only person I've seen have an even remotely mild problem with him. Ditto that for a few other people.

ret

International Debutant
Bloody hell. Godwin makes an appearance.

The difference is that those other issues are still open discussions. Even Hitler, as there's still debate about how he died, etc.

The issue which provoked this thread is a long dead one; the incident was before 3rd umpires came into effect and probably hastened it a bit. Now, it's done and has been so for ages. The effiicacy of the technology has been stretched on occasion, for sure, but the issue of whether a 3rd umpire is needed is a done deal.
for many, this subject can be open to discussion ..... it just that it's closed for you, which is not my problem

It was posted last year. It's not even current for him.
So? .... is it that it can only be discussed if its less than 15 years old but not if it's 16 8-) .... your point shows that it's you who is more like an Antagonist, who is making scenarios to provoke me .... dude, do you seriously think any one will buy that argument? i don't appreciate it if mild characters like you make me crawl down to a lower intelligence level and make me reply to such meaningless points

As for Healy, I'm no fan but according to many who were out there and Healy himself, he didn't claim the stumping; he claimed he didn't know what happened because he was unsighted and asked the umpire to make the decision. Wanna tell me what's wrong with that?
more on 3rd party stories .... well, can't someone argue that according to some Lara, the closest witness, didn't seem to think like what you posted above .... the video suggests that Healy moves his hands probably implying that the ball hit the stumps when Lara looks at him

As I said, you're basically the only person I've seen have an even remotely mild problem with him. Ditto that for a few other people.
So? what does what you have seen mean? .... like for you it's ok, if that Healy video was posted like year on youtube by someone as you implied in your post but not this year here as posted by me .... doesn't mean a thing

Last edited:

Top_Cat

for many, this subject can be open to discussion ..... it just that it's closed for you, which is not my problem
So...... whether we should introduce 3rd umpires, when they've already been introduced, is an open issue for you? How does that even make sense?

Time to open a debate about whether we should bomb Dresden..... oh wait.....

ret

International Debutant
So...... whether we should introduce 3rd umpires, when they've already been introduced, is an open issue for you? How does that even make sense?

Time to open a debate about whether we should bomb Dresden..... oh wait.....
why can't history be discussed? .... i guess if someone is talking abt the Wright brothers or whoever made men fly, you would be like whats the point in discussing that, flying is a done deal .... or if i come up with how Boeing started, would you be like thats a done deal now we have the dreamliner :p

Last edited:

Burgey

why can't history be discussed? .... i guess if someone is talking abt the Wright brothers or whoever made men fly, you would be like whats the point in discussing that, flying is a done deal .... or if i come up with how Boeing started, would you be like thats a done deal now we have the dreamliner :p
We have third umpires now in an attempt to get more decisions correct.

There. Does that help?

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
From youtube:
bond2121 (12 hours ago) Show Hide
0 Poor comment Good comment
Marked as spam
no offense, but you guys are ****ing morons.

Cheater? He appealed for a stumping and the umpire gave him out...thats perfectly legal, but of course someone has to explain this to you idiots.

Sour because we're the best team in the world, its very funny actually.

Youre probably pakis too, yea, getting a fortunate decision is better than tampering with the ****ing ball. That is cheating, this is not, this was perfectly legal.
Lolage.

Top_Cat

Nice edit.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

lets get back to the topic
This is just ridiculous. Similar video can be found about every Country. Top_Cat is so right about why now ? Here is a catch that Ponting didn't claim :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISotZ99GkHc&feature=related

And we never give him the credit for that.

And now the Spirit of India Video :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNCdD7KC9eI Check out the Ganguly catch - First the guy takes a bump catch and then asks the umpire if the batsman hit it. Ridiculous considering how much we love to point our fingers at Clarke.

Lets face it, none of us can really take a high moral ground here.

Here is the famous Kotla Test whre Kumble took 10 wickets :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jxSK-9HSlk

Check out Afridi Dismissal (@101/0) - Afridi's reaction says it all.

bond21

Banned
its not stupid when i speak what you all think.

People who think that was cheating, either dont know what cheating is or are sour supporters of some lower tier team and look for a way to convince themselves that theyre not as bad as they are.

"ugh squash ball, ur a cheaterz gilchrist"

"ugh brett lee is a chuckerzz lulz chucker"

"lulz australia is beating us senseless, but symonds looks like a monkey..."(I find this one ironic actually, Im sure all of you do too but wont admit it)

"omfg symonds ur a cheater for going by the umpire's decision"

"omfg bucknor is so old and hes useless because he didnt hear a nick over tens of thousands of fans in the stadium, sack him IMMEDIATELY"

"australians are convicts lulzulzulz"(im not btw so...yea, its got about the same effect as calling me a nazi....ie none)

sanga1337

U19 Captain
I can't see how people can call healy a cheater considering that by the looks of things he hadn't even started appealing when the umpire gave him out. Mind you if I were healy I would've said that the ball hadn't hit the stumps, but i don't blame him for what he did. Really its more of the umpires fault. Bit of a dodgey decision.

bond21

Banned
I can't see how people can call healy a cheater considering that by the looks of things he hadn't even started appealing when the umpire gave him out. Mind you if I were healy I would've said that the ball hadn't hit the stumps, but i don't blame him for what he did. Really its more of the umpires fault. Bit of a dodgey decision.
There we go, some common sense.

Apart from me, only took 4 pages.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
This is just ridiculous. Similar video can be found about every Country. Top_Cat is so right about why now ? Here is a catch that Ponting didn't claim :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISotZ99GkHc&feature=related

And we never give him the credit for that.

And now the Spirit of India Video :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNCdD7KC9eI Check out the Ganguly catch - First the guy takes a bump catch and then asks the umpire if the batsman hit it. Ridiculous considering how much we love to point our fingers at Clarke.

Lets face it, none of us can really take a high moral ground here.

Here is the famous Kotla Test whre Kumble took 10 wickets :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jxSK-9HSlk

Check out Afridi Dismissal (@101/0) - Afridi's reaction says it all.
Exactly. Pinning it on one country and not others is ridiculous. Dhoni has done it before, and Sreesanth has done far worse.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Not read the thread, my work PC has no sound and I didnt read the comments on the page.

Its pretty simple and its a good example of why 3rd umpire is so important.

Umpire will give that 9 times out of 10. He is unsghted but there is a set run of events that most likely would have happened.

Im not convinced the keeper didnt know the ball didnt hit the stumps. He will know that his hand did but not that the ball didnt.

Its obviously the wrong decision that a 3rd umpire would have sorted out but Ive no issue with the player or umpire.

Seemed a natural but the wrongdecision. Its unfortunate to be given out that way but Ive more issue with the stink the batsman makes in showing discent.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
OT question: why is showing dissent bad again? I mean, why is it worse than cheating? When Dhoni claimed that bump catch, or when Clarke did, you can bet your ass the batsmen has every right to be furious.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Cricket is one of few sports where they dress up blatant cheating as part of the game. If the fielding team knowingly dismisses a batsman they know isn't out, that's cheating. Similarly if a batsman is out but remains at the crease that's also cheating. The fact that the laws of cricket are interpreted to say that everything is left to the umpire so the players are just letting him decide doesn't make it any less so.
In this case the umpire fires Lara out before anyone has even appealed, something which an umpire is not entitled to do.