• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England v Zimbabwe

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Didn't see the cricket, but Rik said Anderson was getting wacked by Ebrahim. Then again, he did also say that Nasser had ultra-attacking fields.
Just the first over. Ebrahim clobbered three fours - one over cover, two to fine leg. We had a 7-2 field and Anderson was very nervous. Apart from that one over when he strayed on to Ebrahim's pads too often and overstepped a couple of times, he did fine (took the wicket with the last ball of his third over).

Hoggard was especially accurate, and Harmison got up to 93 mph I believe.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Did Hoggard swing the ball today? I watched 2-3 balls of Hoggard in the highlights and they didn't swing. When India was in Eng , he almost swung every ball . I don't think he will be the same bowler without that swing.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Anderson's been a revelation..9 overs 1/49, he's been clobbered by Ebrahim who generally has been a poor starter in test cricket.

Hoggard has bowled well, he's a bit like Tuffey and will really enjoy good seam bowling conditions.

Rich2001

International Captain
vishnureddy said:
Did Hoggard swing the ball today? I watched 2-3 balls of Hoggard in the highlights and they didn't swing. When India was in Eng , he almost swung every ball . I don't think he will be the same bowler without that swing.
Yeah Hoggard was getting swing consistantly

PY

International Coach
Hoggard is getting a lot more swing now and Butcher been surprise as well. Don't know how many times the England bowlers have gone past the outside edge!! Amazing amount.....:O Zimbabwe are looking completely on the rocks now at 108 for 5 or.........5 for 108 for our Southern Hemisphere friends :)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Hoggard's almost unplayable but also too short...now if only he would pitch it up...3 balls pitched up 2 wickets gained and yet he's still bowling shortish...

PY

International Coach
Anderson on a hat-trick but skirts past the outside edge, 3 for 68 he's bowling jaffas almost every ball now.:) without making too much out of it as it is only one match and against Zimbabwe but England aren't looking too bad at the moment. Quite young attack as well with the addition of Flintoff who isn't old either it could be a platform to build on along with the top 3 having a few years left so just need to sort 4-7 slots especially 5 and the wicketkeeper.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well when he stopped bowling short wide rubbish he really looked good. Blignaut done by one that shoots in from outside leg gets the edge as he flicks at it and cause brilliantly in the slips...on for a 5 4for as Hondo's next.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Gets the 5 for getting Hondo 2nd ball bowled. Pour Douggie didn't have a clue. Anderson 5-73...shares best figures with Blignaut haha

Seriously 5-73 in his 1st Test...in his 1st innings as well! He looked amazing when he pitched it up, I can't wait till the 2nd innings cause I think he's worked out not to bowl that short wide rubbish now :)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a shame Hoggard's performance will be forgotten, he ripped the heart out of the Zimbabwean batting and made wickets for the other bowlers with his consistancy.

Hmmmmm England's new young all-rounder McGrath didn't get a bowl, relegated behind Butcher would you believe it?

PY

International Coach
Tim said:
Well Anderson's been a revelation..9 overs 1/49, he's been clobbered by Ebrahim who generally has been a poor starter in test cricket.
:lol:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Hmmmmm England's new young all-rounder McGrath didn't get a bowl, relegated behind Butcher would you believe it?
For once in your life, will you give it a rest. Just because you don't like a selection does not mean it wasn't a good choice.

I mean Giles never got a bowl, so should you be moaning about his selection as well?

Nasser looked at the conditions and decided to give Butcher a short go (which was all that was needed since the main 3 bowled well). That worked, and then the front line seamers finished it off.

McGrath was never selected as an all rounder, but as a batsman who can fill in a few overs if required.

He scored 69 and in the first innings his bowling wasn't required, yet you still see fit to have a moan.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
For once in your life, will you give it a rest. Just because you don't like a selection does not mean it wasn't a good choice.

I mean Giles never got a bowl, so should you be moaning about his selection as well?

Nasser looked at the conditions and decided to give Butcher a short go (which was all that was needed since the main 3 bowled well). That worked, and then the front line seamers finished it off.

McGrath was never selected as an all rounder, but as a batsman who can fill in a few overs if required.

He scored 69 and in the first innings his bowling wasn't required, yet you still see fit to have a moan.
In fact Marc, unless you have managed to miss every single piece of news about his selection, he was picked as an all-rounder. Therefor his selection was questionable to say the least. He scored 69 and I was quite impressed with the way he played, but do you really think he was a good selection today? If you wanted a batsman then why not pick someone with a future like Troughton or Shah? He's scored runs yes but have they affected this result? Nope, that's why I still don't think his selection was or has been warrented.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rik said:
In fact Marc, unless you have managed to miss every single piece of news about his selection, he was picked as an all-rounder. Therefor his selection was questionable to say the least. He scored 69 and I was quite impressed with the way he played, but do you really think he was a good selection today? If you wanted a batsman then why not pick someone with a future like Troughton or Shah? He's scored runs yes but have they affected this result? Nope, that's why I still don't think his selection was or has been warrented.
He was picked as a replacement for Flintoff.

That doesn't mean he was picked as an all-rounder, mainly because there are no other all-rounders in England...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
He was picked as a replacement for Flintoff.

That doesn't mean he was picked as an all-rounder, mainly because there are no other all-rounders in England...
The only person to say he wasn't an all-rounder was McGrath himself.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So at 27, he's not got a future? Whatever.

The talk is he's being blooded to get into Test Cricket, then when Nasser goes, he slots into number 4 then.

I really cannot see the problem in that.

Oh, and according to Cricinfo (who I think probably have more knowledge than you) he was picked as a batsman that bowls a bit.

Also:

David Graveney, England's chairman of selectors, explained: "Our chief medical officer will continue to monitor the situation with Andrew Flintoff and we are hopeful that he will recover in time for the Test match. We discussed at length the type of player that we would need as cover for Andrew and we have gone for Anthony McGrath as a batsman who can share the role of fifth bowler with Mark Butcher."

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Some posts from last Monday:

Chris Hinton
Bad news........... This test match will be a Washout

Thursday: Sunny Spells/Showers
Friday : Heavy Rain
Saturday: Light Showers
Sunday: Cloudy
Manoday: Heavy Rain

Neil Pickup
Rubbish. It will be like the last couple of weeks have been for the most part - sunny spells and scattered showers meaning you'll get interrupted play.

We can beat Zimbabwe inside three days - I can't see there being 2 full days' worth lost.

DD predicts......
lovely weather for ducks and an England win

Discuss.