• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baseball & Aussie Rules

archie mac

International Coach
I posted on a Baseball site, as I was hoping they could help me with an article I wanted to write. No luck with the information I need as yet, but they did send me to this thread http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=68125 I thought us cricket fans might find this of interest, and maybe help educate these Baseball supporters:)

Nothing against them, they love their sport just as we love ours, just interesting how they see cricket, and even more annoying how they find Aussie Rules, although that might be shared with the non-Aussies on here, and even those from QLD and NSW:laugh:

PS I hope this is not spam???

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, I love some of their questions.

"I've read somewhere that they have multiple batsman running, how does that work?"

One thing though, its proof of Americanization where the average person in Australia (for eg.) would know a hell of a lot more about gridiron and baseball than the average American knows about cricket or Aussie Rules.

Obviously its also an attitude thing, and exposure plays a large part (which is my point), but I find it interesting.

I could sit through a game of baseball or NFL and get most things, and understand the gist.

Maybe cricket and Aussie Rules are just more complicated sports? I do think that its more difficult to explain cricket or Aussie Rules to someone who has never watched it, then to explain basketball, baseball or gridiron.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
nice.. i see you popped up at the end there.. and laid down some facts.. really 12000s books:blink:

i was going to mention the first int. was between canada and usa. it would be awesome if usa could make the world cup.. that may help them out a lot..

archie mac

International Coach
nice.. i see you popped up at the end there.. and laid down some facts.. really 12000s books:blink:

i was going to mention the first int. was between canada and usa. it would be awesome if usa could make the world cup.. that may help them out a lot..
You would think they may like 20/20, with the big hitting:unsure:

Yes I thought I would give them some things of interest, but no one has replied back:-O

Mistake, 1,200 books

Last edited:

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
I like baseball too-I can say I have been to more baseball games(10 or 11) on account of the Texas rangers ball park being down the road during my college days and also I got free admission than cricket games(5 or 6)-all of them in bangalore.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
Archie-I read some of the remarks on the baseball site-somebody mentioned calvinball-to most americans cricket will probably be like calvinball.I have given up explaining it to them.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Maybe cricket and Aussie Rules are just more complicated sports? I do think that its more difficult to explain cricket or Aussie Rules to someone who has never watched it, then to explain basketball, baseball or gridiron.
Can't speak for Americans, obviously, but Aussie Rules' big issue for worldwide exposure is its lack of an offside rule IMHO, rather than its complexity. Most football codes (American football included) are quite structured because they have offsides & (to greater and lesser extents) the action is largely focussed around the ball. Rugby union (for instance) has some pretty arcane rules and practices, but I'd imagine the average American football fan would find it easier to follow because it has clear offside lines. Even if the casual viewer might not appreciate the nuances, the progression of teams in terms of territory gained is fairly easy to see.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
Can't speak for Americans, obviously, but Aussie Rules' big issue for worldwide exposure is its lack of an offside rule IMHO, rather than its complexity. Most football codes (American football included) are quite structured because they have offsides & (to greater and lesser extents) the action is largely focussed around the ball. Rugby union (for instance) has some pretty arcane rules and practices, but I'd imagine the average American football fan would find it easier to follow because it has clear offside lines. Even if the casual viewer might not appreciate the nuances, the progression of teams in terms of territory gained is fairly easy to see.
I love american football and rugby(mostly the internationals)but aussies rules is sort of all over the place.I didnt know about the lack of off side rules though

Laurrz

International Debutant
i do wonder if americans know of cricket in general.. i mean, i know its not popular at all.. but do they atleast know OF it? generally speaking

just wanted to add i can't watch a game of baseball, dont find it interesting at all really

AFL and Cricket ftw ;)

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
i do wonder if americans know of cricket in general.. i mean, i know its not popular at all.. but do they atleast know OF it? generally speaking

just wanted to add i can't watch a game of baseball, dont find it interesting at all really

AFL and Cricket ftw ;)
Most americans know about it but they are derisive about it-I guess the 5 day thing and no result puts them off.

bond21

Banned
yea theyre also derisive about the most popular sport in the world, soccer/football so they really dont have a clue about popularity.

Ive watched baseball, and I can say cricket is a lot more action packed. I mean baseball is just boring. The batter has a very slim chance of hitting the ball without getting caught, and they all get out too easily, hell its good when theyre scoring lots of home runs but otherwise its boring as hell.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
yea theyre also derisive about the most popular sport in the world, soccer/football so they really dont have a clue about popularity.

Ive watched baseball, and I can say cricket is a lot more action packed. I mean baseball is just boring. The batter has a very slim chance of hitting the ball without getting caught, and they all get out too easily, hell its good when theyre scoring lots of home runs but otherwise its boring as hell.
cricket is definitely more popular than baseball.I think cricket is watched by 2 billion people worldwide.

LA ICE-E

State Captain

AFL and Cricket ftw ;)
yeah we know of it. kinda.

and people saying we don't know what popular is, well guess what dip**** why do you have to attack us like that... we do what we like, we don't have to like what the rest of the world likes.:@

archie mac

International Coach
Could you say that you had the largest private collection in Australia?
That was a typo, it should read 1,200:ph34r:

I would love to have 12,000:cool:

I corrected it in this thread, but left it alone in the Baseball forum:happy:

They have posted some more stuff in that thread if anyone wants to have a look:)

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
LMAO @ this:
Originally Posted by DownUnderDodger
And in layman's terms:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in goes out, and when he is out he comes in and the next man goes in until he is out. When one side are all out, the side that's been out comes in and the side that has been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man goes out and goes in.
There are two men called umpires who are all out all the time, and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice, after the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.