Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baseball & Aussie Rules

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar

Baseball & Aussie Rules

I posted on a Baseball site, as I was hoping they could help me with an article I wanted to write. No luck with the information I need as yet, but they did send me to this thread http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=68125 I thought us cricket fans might find this of interest, and maybe help educate these Baseball supporters

Nothing against them, they love their sport just as we love ours, just interesting how they see cricket, and even more annoying how they find Aussie Rules, although that might be shared with the non-Aussies on here, and even those from QLD and NSW

PS I hope this is not spam???
    You know it makes sense.

Lol, I love some of their questions.

"I've read somewhere that they have multiple batsman running, how does that work?"

One thing though, its proof of Americanization where the average person in Australia (for eg.) would know a hell of a lot more about gridiron and baseball than the average American knows about cricket or Aussie Rules.

Obviously its also an attitude thing, and exposure plays a large part (which is my point), but I find it interesting.

I could sit through a game of baseball or NFL and get most things, and understand the gist.

Maybe cricket and Aussie Rules are just more complicated sports? I do think that its more difficult to explain cricket or Aussie Rules to someone who has never watched it, then to explain basketball, baseball or gridiron.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

nice.. i see you popped up at the end there.. and laid down some facts.. really 12000s books

i was going to mention the first int. was between canada and usa. it would be awesome if usa could make the world cup.. that may help them out a lot..

Quote Originally Posted by slugger View Post
    nice.. i see you popped up at the end there.. and laid down some facts.. really 12000s books

i was going to mention the first int. was between canada and usa. it would be awesome if usa could make the world cup.. that may help them out a lot..
    You would think they may like 20/20, with the big hitting

Yes I thought I would give them some things of interest, but no one has replied back

Mistake, 1,200 books
    Last edited by archie mac; 10-06-2008 at 02:44 AM.

I like baseball too-I can say I have been to more baseball games(10 or 11) on account of the Texas rangers ball park being down the road during my college days and also I got free admission than cricket games(5 or 6)-all of them in bangalore.

Archie-I read some of the remarks on the baseball site-somebody mentioned calvinball-to most americans cricket will probably be like calvinball.I have given up explaining it to them.

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Maybe cricket and Aussie Rules are just more complicated sports? I do think that its more difficult to explain cricket or Aussie Rules to someone who has never watched it, then to explain basketball, baseball or gridiron.
    Can't speak for Americans, obviously, but Aussie Rules' big issue for worldwide exposure is its lack of an offside rule IMHO, rather than its complexity. Most football codes (American football included) are quite structured because they have offsides & (to greater and lesser extents) the action is largely focussed around the ball. Rugby union (for instance) has some pretty arcane rules and practices, but I'd imagine the average American football fan would find it easier to follow because it has clear offside lines. Even if the casual viewer might not appreciate the nuances, the progression of teams in terms of territory gained is fairly easy to see.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Can't speak for Americans, obviously, but Aussie Rules' big issue for worldwide exposure is its lack of an offside rule IMHO, rather than its complexity. Most football codes (American football included) are quite structured because they have offsides & (to greater and lesser extents) the action is largely focussed around the ball. Rugby union (for instance) has some pretty arcane rules and practices, but I'd imagine the average American football fan would find it easier to follow because it has clear offside lines. Even if the casual viewer might not appreciate the nuances, the progression of teams in terms of territory gained is fairly easy to see.
    I love american football and rugby(mostly the internationals)but aussies rules is sort of all over the place.I didnt know about the lack of off side rules though

International Vice-Captain
    Can actually own up to being a member of that forum.

International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    Baseball is just rounders for fat men :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    All these Broad fans are no doubt Kohli fans too. Fans of tosspot wankers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baconator View Post
    Can actually own up to being a member of that forum.
    Same user name?

International Debutant
    i do wonder if americans know of cricket in general.. i mean, i know its not popular at all.. but do they atleast know OF it? generally speaking

just wanted to add i can't watch a game of baseball, dont find it interesting at all really

AFL and Cricket ftw

Quote Originally Posted by Laurrz View Post
    i do wonder if americans know of cricket in general.. i mean, i know its not popular at all.. but do they atleast know OF it? generally speaking

just wanted to add i can't watch a game of baseball, dont find it interesting at all really

AFL and Cricket ftw
    Most americans know about it but they are derisive about it-I guess the 5 day thing and no result puts them off.

Banned
    yea theyre also derisive about the most popular sport in the world, soccer/football so they really dont have a clue about popularity.

Ive watched baseball, and I can say cricket is a lot more action packed. I mean baseball is just boring. The batter has a very slim chance of hitting the ball without getting caught, and they all get out too easily, hell its good when theyre scoring lots of home runs but otherwise its boring as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post
    yea theyre also derisive about the most popular sport in the world, soccer/football so they really dont have a clue about popularity.

Ive watched baseball, and I can say cricket is a lot more action packed. I mean baseball is just boring. The batter has a very slim chance of hitting the ball without getting caught, and they all get out too easily, hell its good when theyre scoring lots of home runs but otherwise its boring as hell.
    cricket is definitely more popular than baseball.I think cricket is watched by 2 billion people worldwide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information