• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Statues around the World

archie mac

International Coach
2. Bradman at Bowral

Many years ago I visited the Bowral Museum but the Bradman statue hadn't come up then. Now it has. A bronze of the great man acknowledging the cheers of the crowds after another hundred or a double or maybe a triple... who knows :)
I was there today:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
One of the most recent statues of cricketers is also, I think, the finest one of a bowler ever.
It capture as faithfully as possible the rhythm, power and balance of Lillee's classical bowling action. This is one statue, you have to be very bad with a camera to be able to photograph badly. In that respect it rivals Bradman's great statue at Adelaide.

Dennis Lillee at Melbourne

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

The man himself with the man who probably saw that action more often and from closer than any one else.

Dissector

International Debutant
Great thread. I liked the Lillee statue the best. That high backlift photo of Vic Trumper would be a perfect candidate for a statute.

Are there any statues of Indian players? Gavaskar and Kapil Dev in particular would make for amazing statues.

Statues of keepers and fielders would also be nice. The Jonty Rhodes diving run-out is an obvious candidate.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
On the other hand, two years ago, the statue of another all time great Australian bowler was unveiled and this has to be, without doubt one if the ugliest statues anywhere in the world. I give to you..

Shane Warne in Piccadily Circus

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There is another photograph that I need to upload since the link doesnt work directly of this monstrosity put up by the British, ostensibly to showcase the upcoming Ashes series but I suspect to show their strong dislike for Warne :)

Attachments

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Great thread. I liked the Lillee statue the best. That high backlift photo of Vic Trumper would be a perfect candidate for a statute.

Are there any statues of Indian players? Gavaskar and Kapil Dev in particular would make for amazing statues.

Statues of keepers and fielders would also be nice. The Jonty Rhodes diving run-out is an obvious candidate.
Yes I am going to put up great legendary photographs which would make great statues.

I think there was a statue put up of Syed Mustaq Ali (or is under process) and one of Colonel Nayudu is in Indore i think.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yes I am going to put up great legendary photographs which would make great statues.

I think there was a statue put up of Syed Mustaq Ali (or is under process) and one of Colonel Nayudu is in Indore i think.
Go for it. Will be a great thread. Ive a few ideas for it myself

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ideas for great statues of great cricketers.

Hammonds and Oldfield
There is this fantastic photograph of Hammond driving to the off side - probably through covers. T

he ball was perhaps slightly over-pitched, hence Hammond's weight is not completely transferred to the left foot. Its a fabulous picture. But what's also great is the position of Oldfield behind the stumps.

The ball being pitched outside thew off stump, Oldfield has moved to the offside but since the ball has not risen from the ground, in classic copy book fashion, the great keeper has not risen from the ground. He has just got more weight on his right leg and you can see that had Hammond missed he was in the ideal position to take the ball on almost half volley, a very difficult take for a keeper but by staying low he gives himself a great chance to take it and by moving to the right without moving his left foot he is in great position to collect the ball and whip off the bails if needed

Attachments

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Alec Bedser

It is impossible to find an action photograph of Alec Bedser while bowling which is not beautiful. The following two pictures, one just before delivery and the other just after show what I mean.

Both would make for a great statue outside the Surrey cricket ground.

The quintessential fast medium bowler.

Attachments

Last edited:

slugger

State Vice-Captain

this would be awesome .. in NZ somewhere.. but because most our studaims a multi.. i dont see it happening

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Well I am afraid I am more conservative in these matters. If I had to choose a picture of Sir Richard for being the template for a statue I would go for one of these three or something similar.

I am sure I could find one even more dynamic.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The Ballet Dancers : laker and Bishen Bedi.

I find that the pre delivery position of these two great spinners is absolutely poetic.

One has seen Bedi in action of course. I have also played against him so his every movement from the start of that small run up with a child like hop as he turned and then the great movement into the final stride before the right hand moved up was fascinating.

These two pictures show how beautiful his action was, Its difficult to chose one out of these two.

Bishen Singh Bedi

Attachments

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Just look at the way the right hand thumb pushes against the ball held in his left hand before the left arm starts its final rotation. That complete picture, I am sure I can find it somewhere would look great in a statue too.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There has to be in the statue, something that reminds one of the player. Like Bedi's puching that thumb into the ball or Hadlee's left hand pointing sharply upwards as the right hand goes over his head and towards his back in the first of those three photographs.

Simlarly their was the ****ing of the left wrist with the palm facing upwards like an Indian dancer as he focussed at the spot where he would deliver the ball. It is typical of Laker and so beautiful.

Jim Laker

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Wes Hall

Sticking to fast bowlers, my next candidate for Barbados this time is my childhood hero. Almost every action picture of Hall is great to look at but I think his leap as he twisted in mid air to land his foot at parallel to the bowling crease while his stare at the batsman from behind that raised left arm was unblinking, is something special and like Lillee's great statue, will provide a sense of dynamic energy to the piece of art.

Wes Hall