• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Poll: Last bowling option for World Cup Dream XI

Who will be the fifth bowler in your World Cup Dream XI?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bagapath

International Captain
With McGrath, Akram and Imran taking the new ball and Warne bowling leg spin (with Richards and Sachin to turn their arms as well), who will the fifth bowling option in the World Cup Dream XI?

Here are the runners up from earlier polls:

All rounders:

L Klusener (SA) 1999-2003 11 372 57 124.00 0 13 3/21 34.61 0 0 0
N Kapil Dev (India) 1979-1992 26 669 175* 37.16 1 28 5/43 31.85 1 12 0

Spinner:

M Muralitharan (SL) 1996-2007 23 23 216.1 8 875 36 4/31 24.30 4.04 36.0 1 0

Fast bowlers:

Sir RJ Hadlee (NZ) 1975-1983 12 12 134.1 32 411 22 5/25 18.68 3.06 36.5 0 1
CEL Ambrose (WI) 1992-1999 15 15 146.0 15 470 20 3/28 23.50 3.21 43.8 0 0
MA Holding (WI) 1979-1983 11 11 115.5 16 341 20 4/33 17.05 2.94 34.7 1 0

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
i was going to vote for hadlee. but changed my mind and went for kapil. longhop's argument for team balance sealed it for me. would love to have kapil come in at and blast a few sixers (with akram padded up next).

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Voted for Hadlee. Provides a very long tail and 5 bowlers who will take 10 overs a piece without a drop in quality. Sachin and Viv can concentrate on just batting.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Hadlee for sure. Would be silly if he missed out for mine, adds so much.

Spinksy

Banned
I'd say Holding purely because I believe that he is an excellent player, and is the best option on that list, hence the reason why I chose him.

bond21

Banned
because its fast bowlers - Holding.

Holding was a better bowler than Hadlee, seeing you dont care about batting, I went with the better bowler.

bond21

Banned
Also how can 3 bowlers take the new ball.....?

McGrath and Holding to take the new ball, Akram first change, Imran 2nd change.

ret

International Debutant
Klusener or Kapil considering that the team has Akram, McGrath, Imran & Warne

Klusener and Kapil have the ability to finish of close games, along with bowling well esp if their peaks are considered. and let's not forget their fielding

voted for Klusener

though this selection process has been a let down for me and would NOT agree with some of the selections based on votes

4 ODI bowlers for me would be Akram, McGrath, Garner & Warne

and since the team has such loaded bowling options, the 5th bowling spot would go to someone like Klusener or Kapil, who are not only good bowlers but also bat well

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
In the first two World Cups teams played only 3, 4 or 5 matches depending on how far they progressed. Even the most successful players who might have only played in those two tournaments would struggle to reach 20 wickets.

bagapath

International Captain
In the first two World Cups teams played only 3, 4 or 5 matches depending on how far they progressed. Even the most successful players who might have only played in those two tournaments would struggle to reach 20 wickets.
In the first three world cups (Garner didnt play in the 1975 version so you have to consider the 1979 and 1983 tournaments to build an argument for him) four bowlers took more than 20 wickets - roberts, hadlee, madan lal, and holding. garner took 13 wickets in 8 matches. roger binny 18 in same number of matches at a much better average. de mel took 17 in 6 also at a superior average than garner's.

while garner's status as one of the greatest one-day bowlers is unshakeable, and his 1979 final burst was outstanding, i dont think we have set wrong statistical limits that have denied him an entry into this team.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru...ckets;template=results;trophy=12;type=bowling

to include him, we would have been forced to bend the rules too much and had at least 25 other pacers in contention. brett lee, geoff allott, waqar and zaheer khan all have better records in world cup than joel garner.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
guys.. you cant leave it hanging at 9 votes each between kapil and hadlee...

come on.. lets take a call...

bagapath

International Captain
:) no.6. poll is open now. will wait for it to complete and see if that influences the remaining votes on this.

i hope it doesnt need a tie breaker..