• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Future of New Zealand cricket

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
I am just interested in seeing your opinions on our future.

I think it is looking pretty bright with a young side that will only get better.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
I think they will be ok.The money in the IPL will help too-even if some people dont like to admit it.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
It depends ...

I think NZC's fate remans dire while John Bracewell and the current administration are retained.

Bracewell is the worst coach NZ has had in decades due to his inconsistent selections, favouritism of certain players and his personal dislike of others, his problems with the media, and obviously the performance of the team during his reign of shame.

NZC and Bracewell have cost the BCs the following players in recent times: Lou Vincent, Andre Adams (the best FC bowler in NZ - by some distance - in the last two years), Stephen Fleming, and Shane Bond. NZC should have told the ICC to bugger off ; the ICC have no right to determine who plays for NZ. Playing for the IPL is not like aparthied! NZC does not have a talent pool deep enough to waste such players as these.

I believe the BCs would have been the match of England this season if the team was: How, Cumming (who didn't deserve to get dropped for Redmond), Fulton (who is light years ahead of the Marshalls or Flynn), Fleming, Taylor, McCullum, Oram, Vettori, Franklin, Adams, Bond, Southee (12th man).

slugger

State Vice-Captain
what would have happen if nzc told the icc they will play bond regardless of a ban on icl players.. i suspect the bcci would have had more say in it than the icc.. would nz of lost its test status and been stripped of icc endorsement if nzc had decided to play bond, styris or adams.. out of all the countrys eeffevcted by the ban of icl players playing for the country.. it has affected nz the worse.. maybe nzc/we should have made a stand...

brockley

International Captain
Woud like to see cameron merchant in the kiwi side.
Maybe we should encourage luke ronchi to come over to nz and leave brendon mccallum as a batsmen.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Can we get this merged with the 100 other threads about New Zealand's cricket future?

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
what would have happen if nzc told the icc they will play bond regardless of a ban on icl players.. i suspect the bcci would have had more say in it than the icc.. would nz of lost its test status and been stripped of icc endorsement if nzc had decided to play bond, styris or adams.. out of all the countrys eeffevcted by the ban of icl players playing for the country.. it has affected nz the worse.. maybe nzc/we should have made a stand...
Well I'm assuming India would then do it's best to exclude NZ from any tournaments/tours they had them earmarked to participate in thereby losing quite a bit of revenue. Although, I can't remember the last time we played NZ in prolonged series so it might not be too much of a loss there.

Flem274*

123/5
Cameron Merchant is no where near good enough atm. Our FC system may not be great but just because he's Australian doesn't mean he should jump the qeue ahead of players who've been scoring big runs for a long time.

India hate playing us Duffer because A) we're not a glory team therefore generate less revenue (though if we started winning lots of games I'm sure they'd send an invite). and B) whenever they play in NZ they struggle because we prepare the pitch so green that subcontinental players generally struggle. Last time they were here Ganguly was scathing that we had the nerve to prepare a pitch to suit us. :p

So if we picked ICL players we'd be in trouble big time however if things keep getting decided on money and teams like us and SL get the cold shoulder due to not being popular universally then we may as well rebel a bit and pick Bond.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Cameron Merchant is no where near good enough atm. Our FC system may not be great but just because he's Australian doesn't mean he should jump the qeue ahead of players who've been scoring big runs for a long time.
Queue :p

I agree.

bond21

Banned
the problem with NZ is most of its players wouldnt get into other teams around the world.

Southee? Not a chance anywhere else, Kyle Mills? ya, dont think so.

bond21

Banned
no, only if i have to be an england selector for the thingy.

theyre still nominating, im only leaving if i actually am on the panel. I refuse to be insulted by selecting an English cricket team.

Flem274*

123/5
no, only if i have to be an england selector for the thingy.

theyre still nominating, im only leaving if i actually am on the panel. I refuse to be insulted by selecting an English cricket team.
I'm sure the English would feel the same way about you.

Anyways, your argument sort of does and doesn't hold. Most teams wouldn't have every player in their side walk into everyone elses. England, for instance, have very few who would. Though as the average age of our side is about 8, its fairly logical they wouldn't walk into every other side.

It also depends which team is being talked about. In the tour thread a England/NZ hybrid team was chosen and half the team was NZ.

Mills would get into most one day teams btw. Test teams however, he would not.

Craig

World Traveller

India hate playing us Duffer because A) we're not a glory team therefore generate less revenue (though if we started winning lots of games I'm sure they'd send an invite). and B) whenever they play in NZ they struggle because we prepare the pitch so green that subcontinental players generally struggle. Last time they were here Ganguly was scathing that we had the nerve to prepare a pitch to suit us. :p

So if we picked ICL players we'd be in trouble big time however if things keep getting decided on money and teams like us and SL get the cold shoulder due to not being popular universally then we may as well rebel a bit and pick Bond.
Well if Zimbabwe won't get banned for much worse then why would they do anything to New Zealand for picking ICL players? Anyway IIRC Scott Styris is playing in the IPL.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
the problem with NZ is most of its players wouldnt get into other teams around the world..
Well, durrrrrr. Have a look at our population - that might give you a few clues as to why we produce fewer world class players. And a few clues is what you need...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I dont think there is much for NZ to worry about.

There has just been a massive escape of talent to retirement and other cricket.

This talent and experience has to take time to replace.

Also the number of very good NZ cricketers in history can be counted on one hand. It isnt as if NZ are like the WI. ie massive decline after producing waves of World class talent.

NZ cricket will keep chugging away producing a lots of limited but skilled cricketers with the occasional good player.

NZ being ordinary isnt anything to be shocked by and it is the natural order that will continue as it has done for most of its non-Hadlee history.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I dont think there is much for NZ to worry about.

There has just been a massive escape of talent to retirement and other cricket.

This talent and experience has to take time to replace.

Also the number of very good NZ cricketers in history can be counted on one hand. It isnt as if NZ are like the WI. ie massive decline after producing waves of World class talent.

NZ cricket will keep chugging away producing a lots of limited but skilled cricketers with the occasional good player.

NZ being ordinary isnt anything to be shocked by and it is the natural order that will continue as it has done for most of its non-Hadlee history.
Yep, the history of New Zealand Cricket is our side repeatedly slamming its head on the glass ceiling imposed by a small playing base, weak infrastructure and poor conditions. The fact that we're able to compete with sides like England at all is impressive. We're going through a bit of a bad patch at the moment, but we'll come through it. We're two good top order batsman and one top class strike bowler away from more or less getting back to where we were 3 or 4 years ago, and there's plenty of decent talent emerging.

howardj

International Coach
They need to play more Tests and domestic FC fixtures. You can't have, as NZ did the other night, batsmen playing Test cricket who average in the 20s and 30s for their State/Province. NZ, over the last couple of years especially, have seemed more concerned with the shorter forms of the game - at the expense perhaps of good techniques, which one is more likely to develop when playing the longer forms.