Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 54

Thread: The Future of New Zealand cricket

  1. #1
    U19 Cricketer S.P. Fleming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney, New Zealand
    Posts
    473

    The Future of New Zealand cricket

    I am just interested in seeing your opinions on our future.

    I think it is looking pretty bright with a young side that will only get better.
    Daniel Vettori is an absolute legend!

  2. #2
    U19 Debutant cowboysfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    irving,texas
    Posts
    381
    I think they will be ok.The money in the IPL will help too-even if some people dont like to admit it.

  3. #3
    U19 Debutant Will Scarlet's Avatar
    Indiana Jones In Odd-World Champion! Jet Pac Stan Champion!
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, AUS
    Posts
    335

    Icon8 It depends ...

    I think NZC's fate remans dire while John Bracewell and the current administration are retained.

    Bracewell is the worst coach NZ has had in decades due to his inconsistent selections, favouritism of certain players and his personal dislike of others, his problems with the media, and obviously the performance of the team during his reign of shame.

    NZC and Bracewell have cost the BCs the following players in recent times: Lou Vincent, Andre Adams (the best FC bowler in NZ - by some distance - in the last two years), Stephen Fleming, and Shane Bond. NZC should have told the ICC to bugger off ; the ICC have no right to determine who plays for NZ. Playing for the IPL is not like aparthied! NZC does not have a talent pool deep enough to waste such players as these.

    I believe the BCs would have been the match of England this season if the team was: How, Cumming (who didn't deserve to get dropped for Redmond), Fulton (who is light years ahead of the Marshalls or Flynn), Fleming, Taylor, McCullum, Oram, Vettori, Franklin, Adams, Bond, Southee (12th man).

  4. #4
    State Vice-Captain slugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,053
    what would have happen if nzc told the icc they will play bond regardless of a ban on icl players.. i suspect the bcci would have had more say in it than the icc.. would nz of lost its test status and been stripped of icc endorsement if nzc had decided to play bond, styris or adams.. out of all the countrys eeffevcted by the ban of icl players playing for the country.. it has affected nz the worse.. maybe nzc/we should have made a stand...


  5. #5
    International Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    4,411
    Woud like to see cameron merchant in the kiwi side.
    Maybe we should encourage luke ronchi to come over to nz and leave brendon mccallum as a batsmen.
    Last edited by brockley; 08-06-2008 at 08:52 PM. Reason: error

  6. #6
    Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
    Posts
    19,499
    Can we get this merged with the 100 other threads about New Zealand's cricket future?
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

  7. #7
    International Coach duffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    So appalled...
    Posts
    11,520
    Quote Originally Posted by slugger View Post
    what would have happen if nzc told the icc they will play bond regardless of a ban on icl players.. i suspect the bcci would have had more say in it than the icc.. would nz of lost its test status and been stripped of icc endorsement if nzc had decided to play bond, styris or adams.. out of all the countrys eeffevcted by the ban of icl players playing for the country.. it has affected nz the worse.. maybe nzc/we should have made a stand...
    Well I'm assuming India would then do it's best to exclude NZ from any tournaments/tours they had them earmarked to participate in thereby losing quite a bit of revenue. Although, I can't remember the last time we played NZ in prolonged series so it might not be too much of a loss there.

  8. #8
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,422
    Cameron Merchant is no where near good enough atm. Our FC system may not be great but just because he's Australian doesn't mean he should jump the qeue ahead of players who've been scoring big runs for a long time.

    India hate playing us Duffer because A) we're not a glory team therefore generate less revenue (though if we started winning lots of games I'm sure they'd send an invite). and B) whenever they play in NZ they struggle because we prepare the pitch so green that subcontinental players generally struggle. Last time they were here Ganguly was scathing that we had the nerve to prepare a pitch to suit us.

    So if we picked ICL players we'd be in trouble big time however if things keep getting decided on money and teams like us and SL get the cold shoulder due to not being popular universally then we may as well rebel a bit and pick Bond.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  9. #9
    International Coach KiWiNiNjA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In the kitchen
    Posts
    10,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Cameron Merchant is no where near good enough atm. Our FC system may not be great but just because he's Australian doesn't mean he should jump the qeue ahead of players who've been scoring big runs for a long time.
    Queue

    I agree.

  10. #10
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,422
    Quote Originally Posted by KiWiNiNjA View Post
    Queue

    I agree.
    Gah, I hate you.

    I can never, ever get that damn word spelt right.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    953
    the problem with NZ is most of its players wouldnt get into other teams around the world.

    Southee? Not a chance anywhere else, Kyle Mills? ya, dont think so.

  12. #12
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,422
    Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post
    the problem with NZ is most of its players wouldnt get into other teams around the world.

    Southee? Not a chance anywhere else, Kyle Mills? ya, dont think so.
    I thought you were leaving?

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    953
    no, only if i have to be an england selector for the thingy.

    theyre still nominating, im only leaving if i actually am on the panel. I refuse to be insulted by selecting an English cricket team.

  14. #14
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,422
    Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post
    no, only if i have to be an england selector for the thingy.

    theyre still nominating, im only leaving if i actually am on the panel. I refuse to be insulted by selecting an English cricket team.
    I'm sure the English would feel the same way about you.

    Anyways, your argument sort of does and doesn't hold. Most teams wouldn't have every player in their side walk into everyone elses. England, for instance, have very few who would. Though as the average age of our side is about 8, its fairly logical they wouldn't walk into every other side.

    It also depends which team is being talked about. In the tour thread a England/NZ hybrid team was chosen and half the team was NZ.

    Mills would get into most one day teams btw. Test teams however, he would not.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    953
    Bracken keeps Clark out of the ODI team, I dont hold much value to the format.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Future of US Cricket
    By unccricket in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 13-07-2008, 04:39 PM
  2. At Least the Future is Bright for WI Cricket
    By Goughy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 20-10-2007, 01:53 PM
  3. State & Future of New Zealand Cricket
    By aussie in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 252
    Last Post: 26-01-2007, 04:04 PM
  4. Future of cricket?
    By silentstriker in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-07-2006, 05:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •