• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Future of New Zealand cricket

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Bcci = Icc

what would have happen if nzc told the icc they will play bond regardless of a ban on icl players.. i suspect the bcci would have had more say in it than the icc.. would nz of lost its test status and been stripped of icc endorsement if nzc had decided to play bond, styris or adams.. out of all the countrys eeffevcted by the ban of icl players playing for the country.. it has affected nz the worse.. maybe nzc/we should have made a stand...
India not touring NZ in retaliation? They did that a couple of years ago because they didn't want to tour just before the WC, and the ICC let them; so no great loss there.

As someone else alluded to, the ICC would have to be more crocked than a Zimbabwean president to stop NZ playing test cricket if NZC selected Bond and Adams. And I think AUS, ENG, SL, and the WI would all stand up for NZ.

Flem274*

123/5
Really don't buy the population thing. It certainly isn't the whole story. If it was all based on population India, Pakistan etc would be ahead by a looong way.

Out of interest, does anyone have player numbers for each of the top eight countries? Our big advantage is the country is sporting mad. Theoretically, if we were able to steal a bigger chunk of the talent that goes to rugby we'd improve quite a way.

And population certainly doesn't explain why we can actualy compete on the international scene. We should have no chance.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
Really don't buy the population thing. It certainly isn't the whole story. If it was all based on population India, Pakistan etc would be ahead by a looong way.

Out of interest, does anyone have player numbers for each of the top eight countries? Our big advantage is the country is sporting mad. Theoretically, if we were able to steal a bigger chunk of the talent that goes to rugby we'd improve quite a way.

And population certainly doesn't explain why we can actualy compete on the international scene. We should have no chance.
I wanted to ask you-does rugby pay more than the IPL is at the moment?.The IPL might be good to encourage players in smaller countries as it ensures their future

Flem274*

123/5
Yep, the history of New Zealand Cricket is our side repeatedly slamming its head on the glass ceiling imposed by a small playing base, weak infrastructure and poor conditions. The fact that we're able to compete with sides like England at all is impressive. We're going through a bit of a bad patch at the moment, but we'll come through it. We're two good top order batsman and one top class strike bowler away from more or less getting back to where we were 3 or 4 years ago, and there's plenty of decent talent emerging.
The current talent has more raw potential (batting wise) than the 1999-2004 side imo. Fleming and Cairns were the only really high quality batsman and we had a hard gritty bastard named Mark Richardson. I spose McMillan and Astle had talent but one suffered from slogging addiction and the other preffered a very basic technique.

We'd kill for the likes of Bond, Cairns, the wicket taking Vettori, Nash, Allott (ODIs), O'Connor etc in the bowling though.

At least now we have batsman who at young ages are showing good signs (Taylor, Ryder, Flynn, McCullum, Fulton) who just need a bit of polishing and some previously thought average players like How who have improved themselves. In the domestic scene we actualy have back up too with Hay, Broom and Nicol.

Potential is one thing however, achieving it is another. I do think that this sides batting could be better than the previous one though.

The bowling however, may take a little longer.

Flem274*

123/5
I wanted to ask you-does rugby pay more than the IPL is at the moment?.The IPL might be good to encourage players in smaller countries as it ensures their future
IPL would definitely pay more. The NZRU are having major problems with player poaching from rich overseas clubs and all players who play for overseas clubs are banned from the All Blacks. A bit like the current ICL situation.

Athlai

Not Terrible
We have a very young side, with almost as much talent as they have inexperience. Our team could become extremely competitive (at least in the batting department) or it could make a lot of McMillan esque players. It really depends on the captaincy and the management more than anything.

We have so many under 30 year old players that the skies the limit on where we'll be in 8 years.

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
As an outsider the following come to mind...(probably already been talked about but my 2 cents worth.)

1) Team in Australian domestic competitions.

2) Ensuring you got some dividend from the 1/2 million Kiwi's who live in Australia. (Actually a NZ v xxx international game would probably get a fair crowd on the Gold Coast given the number of Kiwi's there.)

3) Invest heavily in Islander cricket (especially Fiji I million people and a large Indian population)?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
They still lack an effective, tight top order batsmen. The most talented and effective of the emerging batsmen we've seen (McCullum, Taylor and Ryder) score in spite of their technique, not because of it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
They still lack an effective, tight top order batsmen. The most talented and effective of the emerging batsmen we've seen (McCullum, Taylor and Ryder) score in spite of their technique, not because of it.
Ryder at FC and Tests > Ryder at ODI's LIst A

Will be interesting to see how he goes there.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Decent IPL contracts (the likes of Fleming and McCullum) are in front of all but probably 2 or 3 of our top rugby players. That said, it's the second level where rugby as a career is much more sustainable - probably 150 rugby players in NZ could make more than a comfortable living out of rugby, whereas you could probably limit that to 20 or 30 in NZ cricket.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Decent IPL contracts (the likes of Fleming and McCullum) are in front of all but probably 2 or 3 of our top rugby players. That said, it's the second level where rugby as a career is much more sustainable - probably 150 rugby players in NZ could make more than a comfortable living out of rugby, whereas you could probably limit that to 20 or 30 in NZ cricket.
30 would be pushing it.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
They need a better top order. Redmond, how and marshall isn't exactly a great top 3. They should bring in Fulton and Ryder if he can sought out his problems. Their bowling attack isn't spectacular but its solid. I also think it could help if like someone said, they compete in the Australian domestic competition kind of like the warriors in rugby league.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
I think New Zealand's future of cricket is what's happening 'now'.

How often do we keep re-visiting this phase where we think just because a few young guns show glimpses and we lose badly because of 'inexperience'?

If you're good enough, experience is just a bonus you add to your already established talent / temperament to play the game. I don't think we lack the talent, we have always lacked the application.

Mark Richardson didn't worry about his limited talent with the bat, but because he had tons of application and patience at the crease, he succeeds to an extent.

We need some whip to whip these current crop into shape and pull their heads in. DO NOT SELL YOUR WICKET CHEAPLY would be a nice motto to associate the Black Caps with.

We can pump up New Zealand's future all we want, but until we understand why we fail, we'll always repeat the same capitulation in batting, regardless of how experienced you are.

Flem274*

123/5
I'd say experience is far more than a bonus.

But I've pretty much replied to the same sentiments in the tour thread so you'll find what I think there. I'm not going to bother with the tedious chore of typing. :p

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
20 are on central contracts, and those ensure a comfortable living. Plus, any player coming in from outside the 20 receives match payments along with rewards for the likes of an NZ A tour.
I suppose. That makes sense.
Maybe my version of "comfortable" is out of whack.

Craig

World Traveller
They need a better top order. Redmond, how and marshall isn't exactly a great top 3. They should bring in Fulton and Ryder if he can sought out his problems. Their bowling attack isn't spectacular but its solid. I also think it could help if like someone said, they compete in the Australian domestic competition kind of like the warriors in rugby league.
Whilst it would be great, that is at thousands already to happen.