• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5 Nations Cricket

slugger

State Vice-Captain
This maybe the ODI saviour...

I like to put forward 5 Nations ODI Cricket.

Devide the 10 ODI teams into 2 pools of 5. these 2 pools play a tournment format like the 92 WC (each other once). the winners of each pool will meet and play a 3 match series. the team who has home advantage is the team that top their 5 nations pool with most points. the winner becomes world champion ODI team for that year..

this can be played yearly..The group of 5 should be rotated every year and every country gets an opportunity to host/co-host the tournament at least once in 5 years..

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm not sure if Zimbabwe should be included in this and they are the only team other than Bangladesh that aren't part of the Big 8 that can be competitive regularly. Most teams wouldn't play them. To counter this problem you'd make it a 4 Nations, but then Bangladesh would unfairly miss out.

Why not have a World Cup which every 4 years is played in a different place of the world to rotate the home advantage. And have several home and away series in the years in between.

Its crazy but it just may work IMO. Contact the ICC Moguls with our night hawks.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Scotland, Ireland, Holland, Denmark & Jersey anyone?

Could make it an annual thing, might help raise the profile of the game in those countries.

Athlai

Not Terrible

Could make it an annual thing, might help raise the profile of the game in those countries.
Gun, but what about sliding Canada in there, they don't get to play too much cricket either.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
wow.. 10 minutes in and the nar sayers are infront..

i was only trying to clear the calendar that is full of pointless 5-7 series odis try series .. a constant overload that adds up to nothing...

well if you like it all in a big mess with pointless gainless matches that mean well who knows.. nothing..

for the world cup yippee lets see whos the best now.. hey whers the crowd gone.. what pakinstan gone already.. hey hang on who turned the lights out..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Gun, but what about sliding Canada in there, they don't get to play too much cricket either.
In terms of quality of cricket they'd be above Denmark & Jersey at the very least, but are unfortunately across the other side of the Atlantic, which could raise travel problems for players. I'd guess at this level the majority are still amateur or semi-pro, so extra time off work might be more of an issue with cross-Atlantic flights.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator

They already play the European Championships every second year...

(well, Jersey would, but they lost to Norway when they didn't have home advantage and thus didn't qualify)

BoyBrumby

Englishman

(well, Jersey would, but they lost to Norway when they didn't have home advantage and thus didn't qualify)
Ah, fair enough. Do the games between ODI nations have ODI status?

Oh, and well done. :p

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year

What about Kenya? They might as well be in a parallel universe considering how hard it is to get International matches outside ICC events.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Zimbabwe South Africa and Namibia come to mind TBH.
Other than the World Cup Kenya haven't played SA since 2001, even when no one else wants to play them Zimbabwe are still refusing to recipprocate for when Kenya toured there in 2005, and whilst Namibia may be willing they spend most of their season touring SA so the time really isn't there.

In short the only major cricketing nations that have visited Kenya since 2001 are Bangladesh and Pakistan(if you include for T20 matches), whilst the only teams that have hosted Kenya outside ICC events are Zimbabwe and Bangladesh

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Doesnt sound a bad idea to me. Allows a format to crown a World Champ every year and gives a 'spotlight' game annually.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

I'm seriously struggling to believe Jersey are being defined as a separate entity to the UK. 8-)

LA ICE-E

State Captain
I like the world cup to be honest. only thing that needs to happen is restrict odi's to 3 per series or 5 at max and if you want them to have more meaning well have the champions trphy every year i guess but between the top 4 or something.