• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5 Nations Cricket

jammay123

State 12th Man
how bout a two division odi format. would make it a bit more intresting in a two up two down format?

slugger

State Vice-Captain
that would be ^^^ interesting.. you would have 1 pool of 6 another of 5 unless you add another associate to replace Zim. losing ODI status. but i feel the 2 bttom teams of the top and the top teams of the bottom are going to be in a constant rotation .. yearly.. probably best to make the 1 team rather than 2. futhermore i cant concieve many countrys wanting to host the lower pool which consist of a majority of minor nations..

i still prefer the 5 nations contest as both pools only have 1 noted minor.

Group A
South Africa
New Zealand
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
Bangladesh

Group B
Australia
India
England
West Indies
Ireland or Kenya

LA ICE-E

State Captain
that would be ^^^ interesting.. you would have 1 pool of 6 another of 5 unless you add another associate to replace Zim. losing ODI status. but i feel the 2 bttom teams of the top and the top teams of the bottom are going to be in a constant rotation .. yearly.. probably best to make the 1 team rather than 2. futhermore i cant concieve many countrys wanting to host the lower pool which consist of a majority of minor nations..

i still prefer the 5 nations contest as both pools only have 1 noted minor.

Group A
South Africa
New Zealand
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
Bangladesh

Group B
Australia
India
England
West Indies
Ireland or Kenya
so the way to save odi's is to have 1 odi tournament per year?

slugger

State Vice-Captain
no thats not what im implying.. its the tournement to determine the champion team on a yearly basis.. not a rolling icc ranking.. and its not to replace the wc.. but rather 2 small tournemnt yearly that at least give the minors some meaningful yearly comp.. maybe replace it over the icc knock out comp.. which is a little savage..

LA ICE-E

State Captain
no thats not what im implying.. its the tournement to determine the champion team on a yearly basis.. not a rolling icc ranking.. and its not to replace the wc.. but rather 2 small tournemnt yearly that at least give the minors some meaningful yearly comp.. maybe replace it over the icc knock out comp.. which is a little savage..
even more tournaments in the already cramped international schedule then? the associates have a good/ok system in the world cricket league and a little policy like makeing i manditory for full members to play their regional associates plus x amount associates per year along the ftp would do . plus there's 20/20s now so having a odi tournament along with odi's in tours is just too many odi's we just need to cut it down to 3 per series.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
its easier to include them (minors) into a tournment that has some meaning for the top 8 to be part of.. esp when it carries the champion odi team status.. gee kenya is on sth africa back door and they have made not one effort to host them in a series or for them to go over there..kenya get alot of verbal comitment but nothing yet.. and this format yearly isnt difficult for the host nation .. compared to a wc and furthermore it will aid and assist the minors for the up in coming wc.. where there may come a time because of the 5 nation idea where it wont suprise us iff a minor does get a win over the top 8.

irfan

State Captain
I say banish ODI's altogether. With the advent of T20, the place of ODI's is neither here nor there. It's not pure entertainment nor is it an ultimate test of cricket skills, T20 performs the function of a ODI in terms of generating revenue and capturing a wider audience, even if it majorly hampers the balance between bat and ball.

May as well just have all the major 9 cricketing nations having a solid 8-9 months of Test cricket (that's right NZ) per year including tour games and the rest of they year can be spent on various T20 leagues, T20 WC, T20 Champions League etc. which can generate income for each home country, so that it can compensate for lack of ODI gate receipts.

I know the TV guys want ODI's because they can place 100 ad breaks instead of 40, but meh, screw them. The game of cricket should override their financial desires.

Some sort of redistribuitive marginal tax rate (can't remember what it's really called - its been years since I done econs) income system should also be looked at, where the more wealthier boards (read India and England) are taxed at a higher rate to the ICC, who redistributes that excess money to the countries with a minnow financial status (NZ, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, BD.) Hopefully the major boards have enough money to support the players, and Test cricket remains the pinnacle.

NB: This will probably never happen. But I think it should...

LA ICE-E

State Captain
its easier to include them (minors) into a tournment that has some meaning for the top 8 to be part of.. esp when it carries the champion odi team status.. gee kenya is on sth africa back door and they have made not one effort to host them in a series or for them to go over there..kenya get alot of verbal comitment but nothing yet.. and this format yearly isnt difficult for the host nation .. compared to a wc and furthermore it will aid and assist the minors for the up in coming wc.. where there may come a time because of the 5 nation idea where it wont suprise us iff a minor does get a win over the top 8.
dude, people already complain and cut down associates from the WORLD cup and they didn't even bangladesh/zimbabwe in the champions trophy . Plus your way doesn't really help associates that much. Only gives 1 associate a chance plus bangladesh isn't a minor. The top 6 associates alreadyy have ODI status and doing what I said would help them way more than giving 1 associate a chance to play a tournament once a year.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Separation of Full membership in the ICC from Test status so if a cricket board is well enough organised it immediately gets full membership in the ICC, enabling the ICC to decide whether or not a cricket team should be allowed test status entirely on the grounds of their on field performances.
That would also help the ICC take more affirmitive disciplinary action on wayward boards (in a style similar to FIFA) and give genuinelytalented players a chance to express themselves at the highest level.

Last edited: