• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 Champions League confirmed

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
WIll take place in september and october and winner takes $5million. I'm not sure how they'll settle who plays for who though - does Graeme Smith play for his SA team or his IPL team if they both make it?

pasag

RTDAS
Victoria FTW. Remember hearing that we have the best record of any domestic Twenty20 team going around, but that was before the IPL, so don't know if it's true anymore. Would LOL at Warne vs Victoria.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
HEALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. Will take the 20/20 world by storm. Will then play Tests and be mocked accordingly.

But seriously, Heal vs World is going to be epic.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not as excited about this as I should be though. Really think all the cricket associations around the world need to learn how work before running with regards to T20 leagues.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
WIll take place in september and october and winner takes $5million. I'm not sure how they'll settle who plays for who though - does Graeme Smith play for his SA team or his IPL team if they both make it?
Smith’s South African team (Cape Cobras) didn’t qualify. South Africa’s representatives are the Titans (AB, Steyn, Nel and the Mørkel brothers) and the Dolphins (Pollock, Ackerman and the Amla brothers). Question is whether Albie Mørkel represents Chennai or the Titans and I believe currently it will be the latter.

Biggest problematic this Champions League faces is that for example if Northants win the forthcoming English domestic 20/20 competition and Hampshire are the defeated finalists will the likes of Bond, Pothas, Klusener, Hall, Boje, van der Wath, Hayward, O’Brien et cetera be allowed to participate for they are also ICL players and Lalit Modi has previously said that they will be forbidden from playing?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Smith’s South African team (Cape Cobras) didn’t qualify. South Africa’s representatives are the Titans (AB, Steyn, Nel and the Mørkel brothers) and the Dolphins (Pollock, Ackerman and the Amla brothers). Question is whether Albie Mørkel represents Chennai or the Titans and I believe currently it will be the latter.

Biggest problematic this Champions League faces is that for example if Northants win the forthcoming English domestic 20/20 competition and Hampshire are the defeated finalists will the likes of Bond, Pothas, Klusener, Hall, Boje, van der Wath, Hayward, O’Brien et cetera be allowed to participate for they are also ICL players and Lalit Modi has previously said that they will be forbidden from playing?
They were suggesting on TMS that any county who dared select an ICL player in the Twenty20 domestic competition would be banned completely from the Champions League, which goes even beyond what you're saying..

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
8-) - if you qualify for this competition, you must drop the players that helped get you here, yeah good one (N)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't really see anything objectionable about the ban on ICL players TBH, you can't be endorsing something which has been specifically set-up to cause difficulty for you.

I'm not remotely enthused, obviously, by the thought of the games, but the idea of $5,000,000 for the winners remains staggering figures.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You don't think it's wrong that players who helped their team qualify for a tournament then be banned from the tournament due to having played in a different tournament previously? It's a ridiculous notion; noone is suggesting that ICL teams be allowed in (humorous though that would be) but players of qualifiers shouldn't be banned just because they have played in the ICL. SHouldn't be banned from internationals either, but hell, might have impacted on our impending series victory :p

Flem274*

123/5
Champions league wil probably be a joke. The IPL teams will probably claim all their internationals for themselves.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You don't think it's wrong that players who helped their team qualify for a tournament then be banned from the tournament due to having played in a different tournament previously? It's a ridiculous notion; noone is suggesting that ICL teams be allowed in (humorous though that would be) but players of qualifiers shouldn't be banned just because they have played in the ICL. SHouldn't be banned from internationals either, but hell, might have impacted on our impending series victory :p
If players have played in the ICL, they're not allowed to play in anything organised by the BCCI. Simple as. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

If teams then pick them in a competition which qualifies them for this competition, it's their prerogative for picking ICL-playing players ITFP.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This isn't a BCCI competition though is it? Thought it was ICC, maybe I'm wrong

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If players have played in the ICL, they're not allowed to play in anything organised by the BCCI. Simple as. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

If teams then pick them in a competition which qualifies them for this competition, it's their prerogative for picking ICL-playing players ITFP.
If this is BCCI-organised, then not allowing ICL players stinks even more actually, as it makes an IPL side winning the thing more likely, as they are the only ones guaranteed not to have any ICL players in (on an overall basis, not sure on the status of the Aussie/Saffie teams)

As an aside, why not include sides from other major nations?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If this is BCCI-organised, then not allowing ICL players stinks even more actually, as it makes an IPL side winning the thing more likely, as they are the only ones guaranteed not to have any ICL players in (on an overall basis, not sure on the status of the Aussie/Saffie teams)
If the BCCI allow ICL-playing players in their competition, they're basically saying to an extent "the ICL's OK", which obviously is something they can't be doing.
As an aside, why not include sides from other major nations?
Think when this was first announced in April or whenever it was basically said that they'd only take teams from seriously strong nations, ie not Sri Lanka and New Zealand.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If the BCCI allow ICL-playing players in their competition, they're basically saying to an extent "the ICL's OK", which obviously is something they can't be doing.

Think when this was first announced in April or whenever it was basically said that they'd only take teams from seriously strong nations, ie not Sri Lanka and New Zealand.
If they turn round to, say, Hampshire, and say "you can't play Bond because he played in the ICL" it's unethical because it gives English sides a lesser chance of victory. If you want a Champions League then all players from that side should play, or be allowed to play, otherwise the whole thing is pointless.

Obviously it's different when it comes to players who play for a couple of sides, and the approach being taken there is fair enough

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I say - ICL is anti-BCCI. The BCCI must wipe any trace of it from their competitions.

I'm not even sure it's not even more draconian than has so far been suggested this thread - not sure it's not a case of once Hampshire pick Bond or Yorkshire pick Rana, they're barred from entering this Champions League.

Again, can't say I have a problem with that. The BCCI cannot go allowing players who have basically stated they're siding with the ICL to have anything whatsoever to do with them.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well I think it's ridiculous, doesn't seem much point going round in circles, though. My stance is basically that if BCCI wants to stop ICL players from playing in IPL, for India etc than fine, but I don't see why anything else should be affected, and they are tainting what could be a fine competition with a stupid approach ITBT

If ICL players help an English team qualify and then aren't allowed I probably won't watch, might do if they play it fair though

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I say - this is no less the BCCI's competition than the IPL is. For all intents and purposes, this is a part of the IPL. Had the IPL not happened, nor would this be.

Anything which applies to the IPL also applies here.