• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's going to be the next good spinner?

Who's going to be the next great spinner?

• Total voters

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Warne had retired, Murali will be in couple of years, and so is Kumble. Saqlain is gone for good, and MacGill and Hogg both retired.

Obviously Monty is going to be there, so he's excluded.

The candidates are

Amit Mishra - Indian leggie with very good control and rasping turn of the wicket. Possesses a good wron'un as well

Piyush Chawla - another Indian leggie, bit flatter, and less turn, but more control, and variety than Mishra. Looked very good in ODIs

Beau Casson - Chinaman bowler, who's going to fill that void of Warne. As always Aussie wrist spinners do have that X factor with them

Ajantha Mendis - Regarded as an offie, but only he knows what he actually bowls. Has plenty of variety, but needs to work on flight and beating batsmen in air.

Who do you think will become the best out of these?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Chawla's gone OK so far but no more than that - Mendis has been seriously impressive to date.

I don't imagine there'll be a hell of a lot of particularly good spinners in the immediate future, but Mendis might manage it. If he does, I expect him to be a very, very standout figure.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Have not seen mendis. Chawla looks impressive and has ton of confidence. Should serve India for quite sometime if handled well by the administrators.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The interesting thing about Chawla, he could become absolutely brilliant if handled well, or could just go to the pits if too much pressure is put on him.

He's handled the pressure so far so good (being brought in solely for the CB Series finals vs. Aus was a very brave move from Dhoni), and as long as he isn't drowned in limited overs cricket, he has a bright future IMO.

Mendis looks so awesome though, so he's my pick.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
For some reason, I think that bowlers like Chawla do better against domestic batsman while I would say guys like Mishra would do better at a higher level. I'm not sure I could quantify the reason, but I just sometimes get the feeling. I think the domestic guys are more used to the Mishra style of bowling, rather than the flatter faster Chawla, whereas at the international level, it helps more to possess that big turn.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Totally depends on the surface. On quicker, bouncier surfaces, you want maximum spin to cash-in on it. On slower, lower surfaces, the extra speed and flat trajectory is a big advantage.

Chawla is fairly Kumble-esque in his speed and trajectory (or at least, has been when I've seen him) but crucially, he lacks Kumble's height. This could hold a bowler of his style back a little.

Of course, all that second paragraph might very well have been said before by many.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not too sure any of them will even make their teams regularly. Chawla is somehow way ahead of Mishra, while Mendis and Casson play in teams that have only four bowlers, and they're not in the top four- so the bench.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm not too sure any of them will even make their teams regularly. Chawla is somehow way ahead of Mishra, while Mendis and Casson play in teams that have only four bowlers, and they're not in the top four- so the bench.
This isn't tomorrow, this is within the next 2-3 years I imagine.

Chubb

International Regular
Ajantha Mendis is an incredibly exciting prospect- everyone except his opposition loves a real mystery spinner. One interesting thing is that he bowls the doosra like Jack Iverson and John Gleeson used to bowl, judging from the videos posted by Sanz. It's a bit early to be saying he will become the next top spinner in world cricket, but he seems the best of the bunch- though Chawla has certainly started well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
UIMM, doesn't Mendis basically bowl orthodox fingerspinning-Offbreaks, orthodox wristspinning-Legbreaks, Googlies, Flippers and Doosras?

If so, that's quite an unprecedented mixture.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Chawla has great potential, as does Casson. I have not seen any of the others. I have voted Casson, purely because Chawla doesn't spin the ball much.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Mendis. He doesn't produce a huge amount of spin but hes got enough to confuse the batsman with his variety.