• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's going to be the next good spinner?

Who's going to be the next great spinner?

• Total voters

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Piyush Chawla has alot of potential. The last time I remember seeing him bowl was against England, last year. Also about the time that a fast bowler who doesn't to have a first name (Sreesanth) showed his great fast bowling abilities.
Sreesanth is the first name. Shanthakumaran is the family name. Same with Murali. Muralidaran is the first name. Muttah is the family name. Unlike other famil names tamils inherit their father's first name as family name. Ex. Sreesanth's children will be names Sreesanth X, Murali's Muralidaran X.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wrong Dickinson :)

Sreesanth is infact his first name. Shantakumaran is his father's name.

Tamils and Malyalis have that naming structure so Subramaniam Badrinath's first name is Badrinath.
Aye, I know this, but I think having the first name S (which both Sreesanth and Badrinath do in English terms - given Tamil and Malayi do not translate directly in some cases) is kinda cool, so I like to take the line that they both do.

Woodster

International Captain
Mendis certainly has a variety of deliveries, but does not need to bowl them all the time. Sometimes the very knowledge that he can use all these variations leaves the batsmen wary of using their feet and forever looking out for one that does something unusual.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well I hope for our sake it's Casson, but I don't think it will be. Chawla FTW, though I'd like to see him bowl with some more flight.
Having said that, I've really only seen him in shorter formats so he may well give it more air in FC and Tests.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mendis certainly has a variety of deliveries, but does not need to bowl them all the time. Sometimes the very knowledge that he can use all these variations leaves the batsmen wary of using their feet and forever looking out for one that does something unusual.
Exactly. To have such a wide amount of variation is something never before experienced in a bowler and will naturally have its considerable advantages in unfamiliarity terms.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
After seeing him bowl yesterday at Mirpur, I voted unhesitatingly for Chawla. He is several notches above the others named.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
IMO Ashley Giles was one of the greatest spinners of all time.. second to the great Ian Salisbury

Just take a look at this legendary delivery.. nothing comes close... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2mESB4zb3Wg
Love the irony of some of those recent comments by Australians suggesting he would never have even played First Class cricket here, given the state of Australia's spin options at present. If Australia had Giles at his peak right now, he'd be in the Test team; it saddens me to realise they think Casson is going to be awesome.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Love the irony of some of those recent comments by Australians suggesting he would never have even played First Class cricket here, given the state of Australia's spin options at present. If Australia had Giles at his peak right now, he'd be in the Test team; it saddens me to realise they think Casson is going to be awesome.
Comparing him at his peak when every other spin option in Australia (especially Casson) are pretty far from theirs is a bit unfair on them.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Comparing him at his peak when every other spin option in Australia (especially Casson) are pretty far from theirs is a bit unfair on them.
That's not the point though. To suggest Giles would never have played First Class cricket in Australia is horribly wrong - so wrong in fact that he was better than every spinner we have available to us currently. Australians are certainly in no position ATM to be going through the ol' "ZOMG English spinners are crap" routine.

How good they will be/could be/might be isn't the issue here - the irony of the fact that Beau Casson is just about to make his Test debut and there are people on YouTube saying Giles would never have played First Class cricket in Australia is.

Top_Cat

That's not the point though. To suggest Giles would never have played First Class cricket in Australia is horribly wrong - so wrong in fact that he was better than every spinner we have available to us currently. Australians are certainly in no position ATM to be going through the ol' "ZOMG English spinners are crap" routine.

How good they will be/could be/might be isn't the issue here - the irony of the fact that Beau Casson is just about to make his Test debut and there are people on YouTube saying Giles would never have played First Class cricket in Australia is.
Dude, your'e arguing with people on PooTube. Almost no-one on this site has said that. I could go to any number of forums which say that 9/11 was an inside job and Bush was the mastermind but it doesn't make it any less a waste of my time to talk to them.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dude, your'e arguing with people on PooTube. Almost no-one on this site has said that. I could go to any number of forums which say that 9/11 was an inside job and Bush was the mastermind but it doesn't make it any less a waste of my time to talk to them.
I just made a post about the irony of the comments there though; I wasn't attacking anyone here.

biased indian

International Coach
Aye, I know this, but I think having the first name S (which both Sreesanth and Badrinath do in English terms - given Tamil and Malayi do not translate directly in some cases) is kinda cool, so I like to take the line that they both do.
Mine is R in that case..i took a Credit card recently (Barclay's) and in the payment slip my name comes as R :huh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Giles' entire career (2006/07 post-hip-injury aside) pretty much was one long peak, though. He changed very little between his Test debut in 1998 (and very probably before) and his last fit appearance in 2005/06. Which, considering he only became a spinner aged 17-18, is no mean feat.

BTW, we might add that Giles is considerably better than almost all spinners who have played international cricket for Australia in the last 45-50 years. Post-Benaud\Johnson, only Warne is streets ahead, while Mallett is clearly superior, MacGill superior under certain circumstances and inferior under others, and the rest definitively lag behind.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Giles' entire career (2006/07 post-hip-injury aside) pretty much was one long peak, though. He changed very little between his Test debut in 1998 (and very probably before) and his last fit appearance in 2005/06. Which, considering he only became a spinner aged 17-18, is no mean feat.

BTW, we might add that Giles is considerably better than almost all spinners who have played international cricket for Australia in the last 45-50 years. Post-Benaud\Johnson, only Warne is streets ahead, while Mallett is clearly superior, MacGill superior under certain circumstances and inferior under others, and the rest definitively lag behind.
Agreed to an extent; think Tim May was a better spinner when he was on song. The dude could turn it on ice.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tim May was a fingerspinner, same as Giles. May being a slightly better bowler is possible to argue, and there's no doubt as fingerspinners go he was pretty good (though not as good as his predecessor Mallett). But he couldn't turn it on ice, no fingerspinner has ever been able to do that.