• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's going to be the next good spinner?

Who's going to be the next great spinner?

• Total voters

WasimAkram38

Cricket Spectator
:dry:
Hmmmmmmmmmm! I think Mendis is something special but other are just ordinary spinners.

But I think Danish Kaneria is far better from all the other around these days. So to me he will be the next big name in the spinning department.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
UIMM, doesn't Mendis basically bowl orthodox fingerspinning-Offbreaks, orthodox wristspinning-Legbreaks, Googlies, Flippers and Doosras?

If so, that's quite an unprecedented mixture.
Yeah he bowls a mix
a) googly
b) Off spinner
c) Doosra flicked off the middle finger

Ive not seen enough to say which of these guys will be the best, but Mendis is certainly an interesting and exciting talent.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty sure I saw him bowl a genuine inswinger at one stage as well.
Ill be honest. I dont know too much about any of these guys, but seperate to the variation I also like the angles and pace of Mendis. Who knows if it will translate to International success but he has originality for sure.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hmmmmmmmmmm! I think Mendis is something special but other are just ordinary spinners.

But I think Danish Kaneria is far better from all the other around these days. So to me he will be the next big name in the spinning department.

Welcome to the forums :)

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

Going by how relatively flat Kaneria has bowled over the past eighteen months I would take Afridi over him in for the test side. Kaneria is not even cleaning up in English cricket anymore which is 'disturbing' considering its division two and Essex ‘doc’ the pitch for him.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah he bowls a mix
a) googly
b) Off spinner
c) Doosra flicked off the middle finger

Ive not seen enough to say which of these guys will be the best, but Mendis is certainly an interesting and exciting talent.
Just Curious, How many 'c' deliveries he is going to bowl before his finger gives up. I dunno but for some reason I think that It ('c' delivery) may look fancy and all but it is going to be impossible to bowl it frequently and also, the batsmen are going to figure it out soon.

Chubb

International Regular
Iverson-esque?
I believe that Iverson's stock delivery (a big-turning offbreak) was bowled out of the back of the hand, but his variation was a leg spinner (which didn't tend to turn much) bowled like Mendis bowls his doosra.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, think Iverson's stock-ball was the standard fingerspinning-Offbreak, his variation the recently-Alex Loudon-purveyed ball that's come to be known as the Doosra. Same thing true of the other Jack, Gleeson of the 1960s.

Chubb

International Regular
Nah, think Iverson's stock-ball was the standard fingerspinning-Offbreak, his variation the recently-Alex Loudon-purveyed ball that's come to be known as the Doosra. Same thing true of the other Jack, Gleeson of the 1960s.
By "back of the hand" I mean he bowled it using his flick method, just out of the back of his hand. It was an offbreak, but he bowled it like the Mendis doosra reversed, if you see what I mean. Iverson always bowled using his middle finger to impart the spin by flicking it.

There was a young lad who tried to imitate Iverson when he was still playing cricket; he was given a Sheffield Shield match for his state. He bowled legbreaks as his stock delivery. Iverson was curious as to how he got the legbreak to turn, and it emerged that he bowled from the front of the hand rather than the back (at least if I remember Mystery Spinner rightly)

I have experimented with a tennis ball and if you "flick" the ball with your hand in the conventional position it turns from leg to off, whereas if you do it from the back of the hand it goes from off to leg

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Just Curious, How many 'c' deliveries he is going to bowl before his finger gives up. I dunno but for some reason I think that It ('c' delivery) may look fancy and all but it is going to be impossible to bowl it frequently and also, the batsmen are going to figure it out soon.
Yeah its a fair point. I think the answer is "we dont know". As a variant to his ball spinning into the right hander it will be very useful but it will be tough to bowl a lot of them as stock balls.

Id actually be concerned by the fact he doesnt appear to disguise the delivery in his run up.

The photo is clearly going to be the doosra. it couldnt be anything else given the position of the wrist and fingers and yet he is advertising the fact. Strange

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
With regard to that photo he actaully does that before every delivery, basically telling himself where he going to bowl the ball in his head. He changes his fingers and wrist positions after if he going to bowl a leg break or googly.

Also it is easier to bowl the doorsa from the middle finger long term, then the one out of the back of the hand that Saqlain and Murali bowl. It has less impact on your shoulder and therefore less wear and tear. There is a reason why Saqlain career was over quite early and he had so many injuries lately, as well and Murali recent increase in injuries.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
That's the very reason I have mentioned that he should improve his variations of the flight more, and make his off break more potent.

andmark

International Captain
Piyush Chawla has alot of potential. The last time I remember seeing him bowl was against England, last year. Also about the time that a fast bowler who doesn't to have a first name (Sreesanth) showed his great fast bowling abilities.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
I have seen Ajantha mendis only in highlights but he has a impressive variety-which is really going to trouble batsmwn out of the sub-continent who cant pick him very well.

I also like chawla but I would like to see him in some Test matchs but thats not gonna happen until kumble retires.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Sreesanth has a first name - S.

Wrong Dickinson :)

Sreesanth is infact his first name. Shantakumaran is his father's name.

Tamils and Malyalis have that naming structure so Subramaniam Badrinath's first name is Badrinath.