• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Survey: Tennis aces cricket as Australia's most popular sport

Efaz

U19 12th Man
AFP

Cricket has lost its status as Australia's most popular sport to tennis, according to a survey released Thursday.

The survey from research consultants Sweeney Sports showed interest in cricket had waned following Australia's 5-0 Ashes whitewash over England in 2006/07, while tennis was enjoying a surge in popularity.

It found 57 percent of Australians either attended tennis events, watched the sport on television or read about it in newspapers over the past year, placing it at the top of the popularity ranking for the first time in 17 years.

Swimming was the next most popular sport on 55 percent while cricket languished in third place on 53 after interest dropped six percentage points over the past year.

Sweeney general manager Todd Deacon said the Australian cricket team's home series against India, which wrapped up early this year, had not generated the same excitement as the Ashes.

"Interest certainly tapered off after the Ashes," Deacon told AFP.

He said tennis had become more popular despite the lack of any Australians in the top 10 largely due to savvy marketing by local administrators and because spectators often followed the fortunes of a favourite player regardless of nationality.

"They attract the world's top players to the lead-up events to the Australian Open -- the likes of the Sydney International and the Kooyong Classic -- and people want to see them," he said.

Deacon said tennis was also popular with women -- 60 percent were interested in the sport compared to 40 percent for cricket.

He said golf was struggling to capture the public's imagination, coming in last of the 10 sports rated, with a popularity rating of 23 percent, eight points down on last year and its lowest score in the survey's 19-year history.

"Golf is on a decline even though we've never had such a depth of talent in this country," Deacon said. "There are two Aussies in the top five and 12 in the top 100 but the top golfers don't play in Australia.

"It may also have something to do with lifestyle changes and how long it takes to play the game."

sanga1337

U19 Captain
lol languishing in 3rd? From when I read that article in the newspaper 3rd was actually quite a high spot considering it was beating AFL and rugby league and Union.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Heaps of people watch tennis here because, I suspect, the Aussie Open coincides with summer hols for everyone, and it's on tv non-stop for that fortnight.
Hence, if asked whether you've watched the sport over the previous 12 months, it's very likely you will have.

Simon

Swimming popular? only time anyone in Australia gives a crap about swimming is at the commonwealth games and olympics. tbf its not even a real sport anyway.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hmm, I love tennis, but I reckon if you asked most Australians who won the Wimbledon women's singles last year, many wouldn't have a clue.

I think Burgey hit the nail on the head. We've got the Aus Open, and that's just something you watch whether you love the sport, or whether you're one of the most casual fans there are.

Bit different to cricket.

Simon

Hmm, I love tennis, but I reckon if you asked most Australians who won the Wimbledon women's singles last year, many wouldn't have a clue.

I think Burgey hit the nail on the head. We've got the Aus Open, and that's just something you watch whether you love the sport, or whether you're one of the most casual fans there are.

Bit different to cricket.
Dunno i think most would just guess "Federer" anyway. Harder question would actually be "Who won this years Australian Open?" Reckon less would have an idea about that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Federer winning the women's singles? Probably has a better chance of doing that then winning the Men's French :ph34r:

Simon

Federer winning the women's singles? Probably has a better chance of doing that then winning the Men's French :ph34r:
ohh sorry, just read it as "won wimledon" and presumed Men's cause the results of womens tennis matches hardly matter anyway.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't believe swimming is rated higher than cricket!! And although Australia host the Open in Melbourne in early January, I'm surprised that tennis is ahead of cricket too. Even more surprising given the drama caused by the India vs Australia series.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
There's no way that survey sounds right to me. I always gathered tennis had been on a slow downfall since there were no great australian stars left.

Simon

There's no way that survey sounds right to me. I always gathered tennis had been on a slow downfall since there were no great australian stars left.
Ratings and patrons going through the gate at the Australian Open grow every single year. Tennis is such a good spectator sport and you'll find a lot of Australians (like me) actually support players from other countries too.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Ratings and patrons going through the gate at the Australian Open grow every single year. Tennis is such a good spectator sport and you'll find a lot of Australians (like me) actually support players from other countries too.
I was just saying that as a big generalisation - Im a big tennis fan as well. Im also suprised about swimming. No one seems to give a toss unless its the olympics.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If that survey is correct then I dont think Ill ever move to Aus for fear of my kids becoming tennis playing swimmers. *shudders*

:)

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Na that seems about right to me. It's more about the wide demographics that sports appeal to. Obviously you'd get more fanatical cricket supporters across the country but just look at the gender ratio on this forum.

Likewise, the various codes of football (the real type) have geographical segmentation. State of Origin is watched by everyone in Queensland and New South Wales while all of Victoria will watch the AFL Grand Final.

Isn't it true that netball and football (the soccer type) have the highest numbers of participants in Australia?

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Thats what I thought as well. Glad to be proved wrong though. Tennis is a good sport