Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Survey: Tennis aces cricket as Australia's most popular sport

U19 12th Man

Survey: Tennis aces cricket as Australia's most popular sport

AFP

Cricket has lost its status as Australia's most popular sport to tennis, according to a survey released Thursday.

The survey from research consultants Sweeney Sports showed interest in cricket had waned following Australia's 5-0 Ashes whitewash over England in 2006/07, while tennis was enjoying a surge in popularity.

It found 57 percent of Australians either attended tennis events, watched the sport on television or read about it in newspapers over the past year, placing it at the top of the popularity ranking for the first time in 17 years.

Swimming was the next most popular sport on 55 percent while cricket languished in third place on 53 after interest dropped six percentage points over the past year.

Sweeney general manager Todd Deacon said the Australian cricket team's home series against India, which wrapped up early this year, had not generated the same excitement as the Ashes.

"Interest certainly tapered off after the Ashes," Deacon told AFP.

He said tennis had become more popular despite the lack of any Australians in the top 10 largely due to savvy marketing by local administrators and because spectators often followed the fortunes of a favourite player regardless of nationality.

"They attract the world's top players to the lead-up events to the Australian Open -- the likes of the Sydney International and the Kooyong Classic -- and people want to see them," he said.

Deacon said tennis was also popular with women -- 60 percent were interested in the sport compared to 40 percent for cricket.

He said golf was struggling to capture the public's imagination, coming in last of the 10 sports rated, with a popularity rating of 23 percent, eight points down on last year and its lowest score in the survey's 19-year history.

"Golf is on a decline even though we've never had such a depth of talent in this country," Deacon said. "There are two Aussies in the top five and 12 in the top 100 but the top golfers don't play in Australia.

"It may also have something to do with lifestyle changes and how long it takes to play the game."

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    So - what were the scores on the doors in 1988/89?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    You know it makes sense.

KickUps Champion!
    lol languishing in 3rd? From when I read that article in the newspaper 3rd was actually quite a high spot considering it was beating AFL and rugby league and Union.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    What did I do to deserve that?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Heaps of people watch tennis here because, I suspect, the Aussie Open coincides with summer hols for everyone, and it's on tv non-stop for that fortnight.
    Hence, if asked whether you've watched the sport over the previous 12 months, it's very likely you will have.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    What did I do to deserve that?
    It was at the article

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Swimming popular? only time anyone in Australia gives a crap about swimming is at the commonwealth games and olympics. tbf its not even a real sport anyway.

Hmm, I love tennis, but I reckon if you asked most Australians who won the Wimbledon women's singles last year, many wouldn't have a clue.

I think Burgey hit the nail on the head. We've got the Aus Open, and that's just something you watch whether you love the sport, or whether you're one of the most casual fans there are.

Bit different to cricket.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Hmm, I love tennis, but I reckon if you asked most Australians who won the Wimbledon women's singles last year, many wouldn't have a clue.

I think Burgey hit the nail on the head. We've got the Aus Open, and that's just something you watch whether you love the sport, or whether you're one of the most casual fans there are.

Bit different to cricket.
    Dunno i think most would just guess "Federer" anyway. Harder question would actually be "Who won this years Australian Open?" Reckon less would have an idea about that.

Federer winning the women's singles? Probably has a better chance of doing that then winning the Men's French

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Federer winning the women's singles? Probably has a better chance of doing that then winning the Men's French
    ohh sorry, just read it as "won wimledon" and presumed Men's cause the results of womens tennis matches hardly matter anyway.

International Regular
    That's gay. Cricket is much better.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Can't believe swimming is rated higher than cricket!! And although Australia host the Open in Melbourne in early January, I'm surprised that tennis is ahead of cricket too. Even more surprising given the drama caused by the India vs Australia series.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    There's no way that survey sounds right to me. I always gathered tennis had been on a slow downfall since there were no great australian stars left.
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information