• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussies win matches but lose friends

Legglancer

State Regular
Something I was reading from the Guardian, I think
Its quite profound. Any comments?

AUSSIES WIN MATCHERS BUT LOSE FRIENDS

Waugh's team is under fire, even at home.

Chris Ryan reports in Sydney
Wednesday May 14, 2003
The Guardian

There will be no tickertape parades for Australia's cricketers
when they start drifting home from the Caribbean today, just as
there were none two months ago when they retained the game's
most glittering prize.

Steve Waugh's World Cup-winning team of 1999 was met with
street parades in three cities and a glitzy reception at the
national parliament. All Ricky Ponting's men got, four years
later, was a crummy lunchtime meet-and-greet in faraway Perth.

Partly this was a result of the jam-packed itinerary. Partly it was
to do with the suspicion that Australia's opponents, all a jumble,
had presented them with the World Cup on a platter. But mostly
it was because many Australians, much as they love their
national side, do not actually like them.

According to a recent survey 52% of Australians believe the
current team is the best in the nation's history. Far fewer would
call it the greatest. There is a subtle distinction.

To be the best means scoring more runs more quickly and more
regularly than anyone else. To be the greatest means doing all
that but doing it with a certain charm and grace too. It means
filling your boots with runs and your fans' hearts with pride.

It is the great paradox of Waugh's leadership: his team has
reinvented the game with its clean-hitting approach yet repulsed
many of its followers with its boorishness. Waugh has created a
monster.

"When I played, captains took a more dominant role in ensuring
the spirit of the game wasn't broken," says Brian Booth, an
Australian captain of the 1960s.

"This sledging - I just think it's a cancer of the game. It's
unnecessary. Our kids look up to our top players: they want to
be like their heroes. That concerns me more than anything. I
must confess I lose a bit of interest when they behave that way."

This week's final Test in Antigua, replete with much shouting
and finger-wagging, was a typical five days in the office for the
Australians. It caps a seven-month stretch of unprecedented
success: they won an Ashes series, a World Cup and 10 out of
12 Tests. More often than not, however, those feats were
upstaged by an equally unprecedented trail of smutty
misdemeanours.

The Ashes wipeout was soured when Brett Lee headhunted
England's tail-enders in the closing minutes at Perth. The World
Cup triumph was overshadowed by Shane Warne popping
banned pills to improve his appearance. Then there were the
distractions of Darren Lehmann, who bellowed "black ****s"
after an untimely dismissal against Sri Lanka.

Meanwhile the South African batsman Graeme Smith alleged
that Lee threatened to "****ing kill me" and Warne "calls you a
**** all day".

Still, it was the lack of contrition that bugged people most. "It's
part of the game," declared Glenn McGrath. "As soon as he
realises it, the better."

Lehmann's outburst was explained away as being "in the heat of
the moment", as if that made it OK. "He calls a spade a spade,"
said his team-mate Jimmy Maher, "which is not necessarily a
bad thing." This was the same Jimmy Maher who once called
Aboriginal people "coons" when interviewed during a post-victory
drinkathon in Brisbane eight years ago.

Put together, it all adds up to a team that is hard to like: a
macho, blokey institution, out of step with community attitudes.

"I think Australians are torn," says Hugh Mackay, a veteran
writer and social commentator. "There's enormous pride in a
team that keeps winning but a lot of Australians are
simultaneously uneasy. Waugh is a mystery to many cricket
lovers because he is such an enthusiast for the game's
traditions: the way he wears his ancient baggy green cap. He's
regarded as a really decent bloke yet he's captain of the great
sledging team."

The side's mostly white composition only adds to the
impression of an XI that is unrepresentative of the wider
population. Indians, Pakistanis and Sri Lankans have been
migrating down under for decades, yet none has cracked the
Test team since the Sri Lankan-born Dav Whatmore 25 years
ago.

Australia have fielded no Asian internationals, and only one
player - Jason Gillespie - with Aboriginal heritage. Aborigines
make up 8% of AFL footballers but only 0.46% of first-class
cricketers since 1998. Apart from alienating its existing
audience, Australian cricket risks doing too little to win over a
new one.

The team's poor image, says Gerard Henderson, director of the
Sydney Institute, a political think-tank, has as much to do with
the people as the players. Society has grown more conservative
and pitch microphones more intrusive. Mums and dads balk at
violence on TV. When Ian Chappell's Australians talked dirty in
the mid-70s it was tempting to dismiss them as larrikins. Now
players, with their high profiles and even higher wages, must be
role models too.

"You've got to behave in such a way," says Henderson, "that
parents will say: 'Shane Warne's a good bloke - you should be
like him.' But if Shane Warne's busy cursing and bullying people
it's hard to say that."

All fair points. But none of them answers a simple question.
Why, when you are thrashing everyone, do you need to point
and swear and carry on like boors?

"I know the guys," Tim May, head of the players' association,
said recently. "And they're good blokes. They are good, good
fellows."

He is probably right. But the reality does not match the
perception and Australians are unwilling to take his word for it.
Winning matches is one thing. Winning friends is altogether
trickier.

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
Think everyone knows that this Australian team is arrogant but I think that article hits the nail on the head......everyone who has something to do with cricket respects the Australian team because of how good they are but I doubt many people actually like them all that much because they are good but like telling everyone else how good they are.:(

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
who cares is these guys are arrogant, they love playing cricket, they get paid to play cricket and they do it damn well. They arent paid to be nice guys, what's the point in being the best if you cant tell everyone that you are???
I dont care for that crap going on between Sarwan and McGrath, its all part of the game.
A part of that article strucked me

"To be the best means scoring more runs more quickly and more
regularly than anyone else. To be the greatest means doing all
that but doing it with a certain charm and grace too. It means
filling your boots with runs and your fans' hearts with pride."

What bullsh!t, To be the best means beating all the teams put in front of you, and they have been doing that since 1995, with very minimul hiccups. If i hear this crap about Australia not being the best team cause they aint nice guys, im going to scream.

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
Legglancer said:
later, was a crummy lunchtime meet-and-greet in faraway Perth.
Perth is a great place, I didn't go to this "meet and greet" yet those who did thought it was great.

Legglancer said:
Australia have fielded no Asian internationals, and only one player - Jason Gillespie - with Aboriginal heritage. Aborigines make up 8% of AFL footballers but only 0.46% of first-class cricketers since 1998.
Come on, is our fault for having less Aboriginal or Asian test players? I have played cricket for 11 seasons and have seen a total of 2 Asian players, and about twenty Aboriginals.

Hmmm?

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Who really cares?? People will point anything and everything to try and cut this team back down.

They win on the field, and thats all that matters for mine. Things get a bit out of hand as they do in every sport. The McGrath/Sarwan incident is one of the only thing that I've found to be a bit over the top.

The other one being the Slater incident on the Indian tour a few years back when he absolutely went hell for leather on Dravid.

Not to many others which have bothered me all that much.

But people don't seem to bothered to get on the backs of other teams and if they do, they are quickly forgotten - the Arjuna I need a runnertunga incident when he walked his blokes off the field cause he didn't agree with the ump.

Or what about the intimidation the Windies would use as part of the armoury during their great hey day years of the 70's and 80's.

"Brett Lee soured the Ashes win with bouncers at the tailenders"

BOOOO FRIGGITY HOOOO what a load of crap.

Off the field they seem like pretty good guys and appear to be easy going, but on the field they go hard and teams just simply have to give it back, instead of whinging and complaining.

krkode

State Captain
broncoman said:
"To be the best means scoring more runs more quickly and more regularly than anyone else. To be the greatest means doing all that but doing it with a certain charm and grace too. It means
filling your boots with runs and your fans' hearts with pride."

What bullsh!t, To be the best means beating all the teams put in front of you, and they have been doing that since 1995, with very minimul hiccups. If i hear this crap about Australia not being the best team cause they aint nice guys
Who says they aren't the best? They surely are. But They're definitely not the greatest, is what this person is trying to get across.

That part also happened to be the part of the article that struck me the most, and I agree with it a great deal.

It means filling your boots with runs and your fans' hearts with pride
Apparently, the stats show that they really aren't doing that latter thing. Maybe they make you proud, but you're not the only fan that ever existed.

im going to scream.
Please proceed :saint:

Mr Mxyzptlk

It seems to me that the point of the article is being clarified and validated by the comments of certain people in this thread thus far...

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
broncoman said:

I dont care for that crap going on between Sarwan and McGrath, its all part of the game.
Which game are you talking about ? Cricket ? No siree, it ain't part of no cricket.... and if that's what it has come to, its time the ICC throws out the people like McGrath who have made it out to be like that.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I think that the reality is that it is part of the game, but it shouldn't be a part of the game. The ICC has certainly not gained any fans in recent times.

krkode

State Captain
Hourn, it seems that people expect a different set of ethics and behavior from the winners than they do from the, let's say, non-winners.

So do I.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
hourn said:
Off the field they seem like pretty good guys and appear to be easy going, but on the field they go hard and teams just simply have to give it back, instead of whinging and complaining.
WI of the 80s and early 90s also played it hard and beat the crap out of all teams, but it hardly ever came to such a pass where a bowler spits in the direction of a batsman or screams at the batsman in the middle of the pitch and then wags his fingers at the umpires.

This Aussie team is good and no one can deny that, but its also one of the most ill behaved team in the field that there is.And when teams give it back to them they get more ill behaved which just goes out of control, like the way it happened in the India-Aus series of 2001.

Last edited:

krkode

State Captain
hourn said:
Well, it also just looks like that. After what happened to Slater's career because of the incident in India, I don't think he can ever have a pleasant conversation with Dravid or anyone from that team.

Lehman too. Maybe I'm wrong, but if I had done what he did, I could never have the same relationship with my fellow cricketers from Sri Lanka.

Sure what Lehman and Slater did was extreme, but when teams "give it back," extreme stuff happens.

It ruins things.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
krkode said:
Hourn, it seems that people expect a different set of ethics and behavior from the winners than they do from the, let's say, non-winners.

So do I.
well of course it is, and it shouldn't be.

People have always been that nature since the day dot - can't win so we'll find a way to cut down the winners.

Happens every where - in the AFL (don't know if you know what that is - its a sporting code in Australia) Brisbane won the competition last year, but everyone claims they are cheats. "They get salary cap concessoins, and they use hyperbaric (sp?) chambers to cure injuries." Fact is, Brisbane are better on the field than anyone else.

Soccer - "Well Man United have the most money so they should win"

And it Cricket is the same - "well they're not good sportsmen"

Mr Mxyzptlk

hourn said:
People have always been that nature since the day dot - can't win so we'll find a way to cut down the winners.
1/ Australia are not unbeatable.
2/ Isn't the reporter responsible for the article an Aussie?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I find it quite amusing that it is only the Australians who are claiming that sledging is part of the game, no one else is. I'm all for a bit of friendly and competitive banter during a game, a bit of micky taking never did anyone any harm or a few humourus comments like "play a shot for once" but this current Australian team are doing is basically bullying. I have no respect for this side of their game and to be fair I don't feel it serves any purpose as several players, most notibly Craig White, Jaques Kallis, Robert Key and Domanic Cork have either claimed that sledging gees them up even more or they just ignore it. It has no place and it has no point, so get rid of it. Australia win because they are better players, no other reason.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
hourn said:
can't win so we'll find a way to cut down the winners.
No that's not the case. Every cricket fan gives credit to this Australian team for its cricketing abilities and if anybody doesn't , then that would be a moron.

But its a fact that this Australian team is extremely ill behaved in the field.If the Aussie fans cannot fathom that, its because they just don't want anybody to say anything negative about their team be it cricketing issues or anything else which is what makes such fans to be bordering on the delusional.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
aussie_beater said:
WI of the 80s and early 90s also played it hard and beat the crap out of all teams, but it hardly ever came to such a pass where a bowler spits in the direction of a batsman or screams at the batsman in the middle of the pitch and then wags his fingers at the umpires.
No, but in back 15 or more years ago, sledging itself was virtually a sin out on the cricket field.

In perspective, sleging 15 years ago would have been given a similar light into what the Australian's do now.

But on the 94-95 caribbean tour, the Waugh-Ambrose incident from memory (could be wrong) was started in similar vein as the Sarwan-McGrath incident.

Bowler gets stuck into that batsmen, batsmen gives it back, and the bowler gets even more fired up.