• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussies win matches but lose friends

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
The term 'sledging' came from an Australian Test cricketer (people think Kerry O'Keefe I believe) but sledging as a behaviour is nothing new and no-one could possibly verify where it actually came from. How could you possibly believe that it started with Australia?? How would anyone ever really know WHO started it? And I don't think you'd get any Aussies claiming ownership of the concept either. No-one is that dumb.
Well, check back and you will see that a coupla Aussies in this forum(and in this thread) itself have agreed to that.....If you feel that sledging is an acceptable part of cricket, why is it so dumb to accept that? Needling the other team might have gone on in some form or the other for a long time(in fact, I am quite sure that it has{Pakistanis sledging Indians and vice versa has always been there, I believe}), but the attempt to develop it into an "art" form and legitimise it in cricket was done by Ian Chappell's Aussies and "refined" into the so-called "mental disintegration" policy by Steve Waugh.

Top_Cat said:
Every Test playing nation sledges; Argue otherwise and you run the risk of appearing an idiot. The Aussie cricketers are just too stupid to hide it, possibly because they think they can get away with it. If the ICC's performance in recent times is any indication, that's a fair call on their part.
I am not an idiot and I didn't argue like that. The first part of my reply should show you what I think about that, but that the Aussies are too stupid to hide it is a ridiculous argument. Sledging in any team can be exposed by members of their opposing team(after all, the abuse is being poured into their ears), and they will, if pushed too far. Do you doubt that? Yet, why are most of the sledging incidents that get blown up, by the Aussies? Their belief that they can get away with it, true....but also the simple fact that they use it(atleast they try) as a cricketing weapon on the field and off it, much more than other teams as also the fact that their verbal attacks are much more brutal and abusive.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Top_Cat said:
Every Test playing nation sledges; Argue otherwise and you run the risk of appearing an idiot.
Well label me an idiot but I doubt Bangladesh does. If they did, they'd be laughed out of the stadium for having the nerve to.