• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in decline thread

Will Australia Fall into a Slump?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
You look back through my 21 months of posting here and you will find plenty of typos/(freudian) slips/mistakes. This is because I am actually human and do make errors. The difference being the moment I have it pointed out to me I accept the fact that I - usually unintentionally - screwed up.

You, however, continue to cling to your ideas and maintain that team spirit has no effect on how good a side is...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, I don't think I ever said that, if it seems so it is a customary poor piece of phraseology, which I have made it quite clear is a perennial evil I am besieged with.:duh:
I maintain that team spirit has no effect on how good 11 players are; a good 11 players will always beat a less good 11 players if they play to their potential. However team-spirit will undoubtedly help good players win matches more regularly.
Team spirit has no effect on how good a team could be, it has effect on how good it's performances are. I hope I have made myself clear.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
Team spirit has no effect on how good a team could be, it has effect on how good it's performances are. I hope I have made myself clear.
Yep - but it's a trite point. It's all very well talking about potential, but there is much about the game that is not so easy..

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Australia, no longer spring chickens

after all of Australia's success' i think it would very fair to say that Austrailia are definately not the youngest team in the world. the few youngsters that are coming through arent creating the same threat as some their seniors, e.g. Nathan Bracken, Brad Williams and Shane Watson, will Austalia still be the best in 10 years time?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
In ten years Brad Williams will be 39 :lol: There is still a lot of young talent so even if Aus doesn't remain no. 1 they will still be somewhere near the top. The major concern IMO is trying to avoid a situation where many senior players retire within a short period of time.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Adamc said:
In ten years Brad Williams will be 39 :lol: There is still a lot of young talent so even if Aus doesn't remain no. 1 they will still be somewhere near the top. The major concern IMO is trying to avoid a situation where many senior players retire within a short period of time.
I agree. With Warne, McGrath and Gillespie getting older by the season and retirement on their minds, Cricket Australia must get some other bowlers international experience. Bracken and Williams have been goog but not good enough and Brett Lee is out of favour. Australia doesn't want another situation where 3 great cricketers retire in the same season (ie Greg Chappell, Dennis Lillee and Rod Marsh in the 83/84 season) and then australian cricket is in a decline, as it was 10 years ago!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I really wish people would stop taking for granted that Williams is young!
I also wish people would stop talking 10 years' time - it's totally impossible to predict anywhere near that far ahead.
If Australia are still considered as good as they were in 2001 in 2005 I'll be surprised but I've said that before.:rolleyes:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I agree with Adil here. The only real talent coming through is Michael Clark, and possibly Alan Tait.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Its damn tough to find another trio of Gillespie, McGrath and Warne together for Australia. The batsmen are not in question at all as the point of concern all over had been the declining bowling standards. Australia has a very good domestic base and structure and so wont totally fall off by the side. It will be tough though for them to produce as great a trio though. No other team has so many bowlers of talent except maybe New Zealand and Pakistan but the kiwis have thier talented bowlers getting injured and retiring too (like a O'Conner or Allott). It would be unfair to expect gr8 bowlers to come through when other teams arent managing that too. The team which will dominate in the next 10 years will definitely have to have the most potent bowling line up. I dont see a huge problem in the batting ranks of most teams. Even Pakistan, who have had a track record of inconsistent batsmen seem to get young batters like Umar coming through.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The New Zealand bowlers like Tuffey, Oram & Mills are currently working on reverse swing so that they can be alot more dangerous.

They're using various methods like each taking a ball back to their hotel room & rubbing them continuously.
Or even using sandpaper at practice to figure out how rough the ball needs to be before it reverses.

It may sound weird or stupid, but these guys get paid alot to play cricket so there's no reason why they shouldn't do some homework outside of game-time either.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Australia problem is the talent in the 25-29 year old range isn't all that high.

Under 25 years old there is an absolute wealth of talent. Some playing FC cricket now and others just starting to break through, and more who have yet to break through.

I do think in about 2 years from now, we'll have a few retirements and the team will suffer for about 1-2 years (albeit not overly badly), but than that under 25 talent will kick in and we'll be back.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tim said:
The New Zealand bowlers like Tuffey, Oram & Mills are currently working on reverse swing so that they can be alot more dangerous.

They're using various methods like each taking a ball back to their hotel room & rubbing them continuously.
Or even using sandpaper at practice to figure out how rough the ball needs to be before it reverses.

It may sound weird or stupid, but these guys get paid alot to play cricket so there's no reason why they shouldn't do some homework outside of game-time either.
Or sand in their pockets during a game.