• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in decline thread

Will Australia Fall into a Slump?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pasag

RTDAS
Lol, just a few points because this thread comes up every time Australia doesn't clean sweep a series and even a few times when they do.

First, Australia's ODI side is looking as good as ever. The batting seems to make 300 scores at will and has just come off a clean sweep WC win which was one of the most flawless exercises in sport I've seen (bar a little bit of Smith and AB and KP). Granted Australia have lost McGrath but there were even calls for McGrath not to be playing in the WC before it and some in the media were saying Australia had better options.

After the SA 434 debacle there were serious questions being asked over Australia's bowling, but now with the emergence of Johnson and Tait together with Bracken and Lee, two of the best in the world in the format, they have the potential to field an all time great ODI attack.

And granted 4-2 isn't a thrashing, but it is in India in tough conditions and even the games Australia lost, they were always in it and always had the chance of winning them, it's not like they were thrashed or even soundly beaten.

Wrt to Tests, the last Test series Australia played had a scoreline of 5-0. Come back to me when they're not in the middle of a 12 match winning streak. Granted Australia have lost their two best players and that's always going to be a massive blow, but after watching alot of cricket over the past year, I can safely say that nearly every other side has seemed to drop off as well and the supposed second best side, England, have spectacularly self-destructed. I'd be worried if any other sides were making leaps and bounds and rapidly improving at the same time as Australia were losing two champions but they're not and things are only going to get worse with the retirements of Murali, Vaas, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Dravid, Kumble, Pollock and others in the next few years.

Wrt to Twenty20s, Australia have never been dominant in the format and it is really no proof here or there. It also seems like they haven't figured out some of the tactics involved and I'd expect them to improve as times go on. As a side point, Cam White should be in every Twenty20 Australia side, although obviously not for one off matches overseas. His lower order big hitting ability is exactly what Australia need and have been lacking in that format. I wont lose sleep over it though.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Australia are dire, this will be proven by NZ retaining the CH for the next twenty years. At which time the world will end.

archie mac

International Coach
I thought Aust. looked pretty good in the ODI series against India, Symonds I think is just about ready to stand up to Test cricket, and MJ also looks ready for Test cricket

Although a weaker Aust can only be better for cricket, or rather stronger opposition would be the ideal thing

The longest break for Aust re-Test cricket that I can remember in my life time tbh. Not a bad thing I am really looking forward to the up coming Test series, although i would prefer a 5 Test series:)

pasag

RTDAS
Although a weaker Aust can only be better for cricket, or rather stronger opposition would be the ideal thing
Yeah for me a weaker Australia isn't good for cricket at all but for other teams to get stronger it'd be brilliant. I'd rather see one side show off their great prowess even if it means killing the contest as opposed to two medicore sides going at it head to head with nothing much between them.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Lol, just a few points because this thread comes up every time Australia doesn't clean sweep a series and even a few times when they do.

First, Australia's ODI side is looking as good as ever. The batting seems to make 300 scores at will and has just come off a clean sweep WC win which was one of the most flawless exercises in sport I've seen (bar a little bit of Smith and AB and KP). Granted Australia have lost McGrath but there were even calls for McGrath not to be playing in the WC before it and some in the media were saying Australia had better options.

After the SA 434 debacle there were serious questions being asked over Australia's bowling, but now with the emergence of Johnson and Tait together with Bracken and Lee, two of the best in the world in the format, they have the potential to field an all time great ODI attack.

And granted 4-2 isn't a thrashing, but it is in India in tough conditions and even the games Australia lost, they were always in it and always had the chance of winning them, it's not like they were thrashed or even soundly beaten.

Wrt to Tests, the last Test series Australia played had a scoreline of 5-0. Come back to me when they're not in the middle of a 12 match winning streak. Granted Australia have lost their two best players and that's always going to be a massive blow, but after watching alot of cricket over the past year, I can safely say that nearly every other side has seemed to drop off as well and the supposed second best side, England, have spectacularly self-destructed. I'd be worried if any other sides were making leaps and bounds and rapidly improving at the same time as Australia were losing two champions but they're not and things are only going to get worse with the retirements of Murali, Vaas, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Dravid, Kumble, Pollock and others in the next few years.

Wrt to Twenty20s, Australia have never been dominant in the format and it is really no proof here or there. It also seems like they haven't figured out some of the tactics involved and I'd expect them to improve as times go on. As a side point, Cam White should be in every Twenty20 Australia side, although obviously not for one off matches overseas. His lower order big hitting ability is exactly what Australia need and have been lacking in that format. I wont lose sleep over it though.
Absolute gun post.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone

What?

biased indian

International Coach
if asutarlia loose a test in the 6 they are going to play this season..another thread might come up.....

but if both the series are not equal or better than 1-0 & 2-0..i would say australia will be missing warne and mcgrath..they still have very good batsmen who are capabale of doing anything..but u need bowlers who will take 20 wickets to win test matches..and that is wht will be tested in the 6 test matches ..they have clarke and lee but with either one of them having a off match will the 3 and 4 bowlers be able to back up... thats wht to be seen...and whom will they pick as the spinner...will they go with a a four man pace attack ???

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yes Australia are dominant and will remain until others catch up. That will be the case whether Australia remain as good better or worse than they were.

When I said Australia are not the team they were it had nothing to do with there recent results. The very fact that they have lost Warne and McGrath makes their atttack not as good as it was. If any one thinks that isnt the case and that this Australian bowling side is as good as the one they had for last five years, I am afraid I must shut up and take to some other sport.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pretty much sums it up for me, as sp713's wallbashes do. This gets so, so boring.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Pretty much sums it up for me, as sp713's wallbashes do. This gets so, so boring.
Think your dismissing some relevance to the claim that they aren't as dominant. The team isn't as good as it was before, and therefore it's not as dominant and more likely to lose. Doesn't mean they still aren't the best team in the world, it just means second place isn't daylight anymore.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There've been countless hundreds of times when the team wasn't as good as before, though - every time in the last 18 years when it's happened it's eventually become stronger again.

Me, I'm waiting for some real authentic evidence - ie, not a 4-2 ODI series victory - before I take the claim remotely seriously.

Athlai

Not Terrible
There've been countless hundreds of times when the team wasn't as good as before, though - every time in the last 18 years when it's happened it's eventually become stronger again.

Me, I'm waiting for some real authentic evidence - ie, not a 4-2 ODI series victory - before I take the claim remotely seriously.
Well we can only really tell in looking back at how they have performed compared to past years. I expect Aussie to lose their dominance in test cricket particularly due to the drop in the bowling talent. Will this expected slump happen though?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
if asutarlia loose a test in the 6 they are going to play this season..another thread might come up.....

but if both the series are not equal or better than 1-0 & 2-0..i would say australia will be missing warne and mcgrath..they still have very good batsmen who are capabale of doing anything..but u need bowlers who will take 20 wickets to win test matches..and that is wht will be tested in the 6 test matches ..they have clarke and lee but with either one of them having a off match will the 3 and 4 bowlers be able to back up... thats wht to be seen...and whom will they pick as the spinner...will they go with a a four man pace attack ???
It's not such a big deal if Michael Clarke or Brett Lee has an off match with the ball.

Stu Clark, Mitch Johnson and whoever else gets picked should be able to 'back up'.

I know who you meant but surely it's not hard to know how to spell S Clark and M Clarke.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well we can only really tell in looking back at how they have performed compared to past years. I expect Aussie to lose their dominance in test cricket particularly due to the drop in the bowling talent. Will this expected slump happen though?
I've long since packed-in expecting slumps. If one happens, great; if it doesn't it'll be no surprise.

biased indian

International Coach
It's not such a big deal if Michael Clarke or Brett Lee has an off match with the ball.

Stu Clark, Mitch Johnson and whoever else gets picked should be able to 'back up'.

I know who you meant but surely it's not hard to know how to spell S Clark and M Clarke.
we are not used to these different types of clark's......
i only know one thats clerk :cool:

and as said many a times its only ment to convey a message if it does that... thats all what i care......:sleep:

biased indian

International Coach

how about drawing both the series aganist India and SL :cool:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
we are not used to these different types of clark's......
i only know one thats clerk :cool:

and as said many a times its only ment to convey a message if it does that... thats all what i care......:sleep:
OK. that's fine as long as I can call Harbhajan, RP and Yuvraj Sing..

pasag

RTDAS
Well this is an international forum and especially when English isn't the persons first language you'd think you could go easier on them.