• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in decline thread

Will Australia Fall into a Slump?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
As Ive mentioned before, I dont generally like to talk about specific individuals when answering questions of this nature.
While you're obviously right about the Australian domestic setup, I think when you're talking in the short term (which is what I assume is meant by a slump), specific individuals are relevant. Obviously Australia aren't going to spend a long period at the bottom of world cricket. The closest that they've ever come to that in the last 50 years or so was for about 5 years in the mid to late 1980s, and they still won a world cup during that time. The strong Australian domestic setup simply wouldn't allow for it. The real question is about whether or not Australia will be something other than the clear #1 in the next half-decade or so, and since a crop of the current players are retiring and need to be replaced I think specific names are relevant to the discussion.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, as i've said in other threads of this exact nature, they'll be less dominant, but still no.1. The quality of the back-up we have will see to that :)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Because people are automatically assuming that the replacements will be successes.
Not really. The assumption is that some of the potential replacements will be successful, which is a fairly reasonable assumption given their first class records in Australia and England and the fact that a number of the players in question have already appeared in internationals and A teams and so on.

Certainly if the likes of Jaques, Rogers, Watson, Johnson, Hilfenhaus, Tait, Haddin and all the spin options turn out to be failures at test level Australia will probably fall a lot quicker than they would otherwise. I think you can make an objective judgement that such an event is pretty unlikely though, without making any kind of outrageous assumptions.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
I don't think they'll be anything approaching a slump & (sorry to say, JL) I think he'll be the least missed of the recent retirees. That's no slight on him as he has been a great player for Australia, rather a recognition of how special Warne & McGrath have been.
Damien Who indeed (a mates name for Martyn). Langer will be missed more than him.

In saying that, if Bell and Collingwood can average 45 + at test level Australia shouldn't have too much trouble finding replacements to do the same!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
And some of the players mentioned as replacements aren't exactly Test class yet. The only thing we can go buy is this word 'potential'. Chris Rogers for one (IMO) is one of the biggest flat track bullies in this country.
Well maybe because i don't get to see the Pura Cup matches over here, but i don't get the impression of him based on his performances over the past few season over here & in Australia.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
The selectors have been planing for this occasion for a while. Cullen, Watson, Jaques, Tait and Johnson have all been on tours and around the Australian team setup for a while now, getting them ready to step up. They are not being picked straight from state cricket without experiance as was done in the 80's. You will also see the replacements given a number of tests to settle in (@10) and perform before they will get dropped. Macgill will be given next season at least as spinner to allow the young spinners to develop more and allow the new paceman to also settle in. Jacques will have both Hayden and Ponting to bat with to learn from their experiance.

It will the least experianced Australian sides for a while. You don't replace about 400 tests, 40 centuries and 1250 wickets in a hurry. It will take a while but Australians can take heart from the immediate successes of Hussey and Clark that we shouldn't slip from No.1

andmark

International Captain
Australia can be beaten.

After watching the England Australia game teams have been almost untouchable by the Aussies.Is this the time when the Australians have a world cup downfall?.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Your thread title states the bleeding obvious and your first sentence makes no sense. Not a promising start.

Will keep an eye on this thread.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Will keep an eye on this thread.
<waves at Liam> Cooee! :D

Anyway, obviously they can be beaten, but I don't think anyone will be able to do it consitently enough to stop them winning the WC.

Team selection not quite right either, for me. Hardly an an original point, but Watson isn't a seven in ODIs (or any form probably), two bolters at the top of the innings isn't always the best idea (Hayden clearly has been trying to restrict his stroke play, but isn't always successful) & the tail looks a tad long too.

pasag

RTDAS
Could be when Australia are most threatening tbh, when other teams think they are slightly vulnerable. Or not.

Matt79

Global Moderator
If Symonds doesn't come up - yes, they're vulnerable. Comparatively. Still easily the favourites at this point I'd have said.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If Symonds doesn't come up - yes, they're vulnerable. Comparatively. Still easily the favourites at this point I'd have said.
Obviously & clearly. Latest odds courtesy of oddschecker:

Oz 7/4
SA 7/1
WI, SL, India 8/1
Pakistan, England 10/1
NZ 12/1
Bangladesh 250/1
Kenya, Zimbas 750/1
Holland 1000/1
Scotland, Ireland, Canada 2000/1
Bermuda 3000/1

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
I originally wanted a contest, but wtf!

I did not want the poms to win!

who does that? comes back after a massive whitewash in the tests and wins the one day series, the brit papers will be loving it. Probably still won't make the back page ahead of the epl.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Obviously & clearly. Latest odds courtesy of oddschecker:

Oz 7/4
SA 7/1
WI, SL, India 8/1
Pakistan, England 10/1
NZ 12/1
Bangladesh 250/1
Kenya, Zimbas 750/1
Holland 1000/1
Scotland, Ireland, Canada 2000/1
Bermuda 3000/1
Are Bemuda really 1000 pounds worse than Scotland/Ireland/Canada?