• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in decline thread

Will Australia Fall into a Slump?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
marc71178 said:
Yes, but then Pakistan were in turn beaten by India who were beaten by NZ.

NZ beat India in NZ and Pakistan beat NZ in Pakistan as well as in NZ..... And NZ only beat India on designer grass courts that they called as pitches.....You probably couldn't have differentiated the outfield from the pitch that season.....Sure, we didn't beat them in India but remember their negative tactics and the fact that we didn't design the wickets and they played true to their nature and remained batting beauties for all 5 days......Tuffey bowled a brilliant spell but he met his match in Laxman and Chopra, who handled him well and earned us a draw.....

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
anzac said:
and very nearly stole the series in India as they nearly did in AUS???????

:D

Sorry about the double post but they didn't NEARLY beat us....We dominated them in the first test and they dominated us in the second test and that means, we were as likely to have stolen that series as they were.....Even Fleming, who makes it look as though he is God's gift to cricket and that he knows everything about the game, admitted that it was an equal series, no one dominated the other team......

tooextracool

International Coach
honestbharani said:
Sorry about the double post but they didn't NEARLY beat us....We dominated them in the first test and they dominated us in the second test and that means, we were as likely to have stolen that series as they were.....Even Fleming, who makes it look as though he is God's gift to cricket and that he knows everything about the game, admitted that it was an equal series, no one dominated the other team......
actually he said they nearly stole it from india which is quite true. the NZ away philosophy seems to be: survive for the first few test matches and keep the series alive, then wait for you're chance and strike hard. no doubt that india were the better team in that series but in that last test NZ nearly managed to pull off a famous victory,very similar to what they did in australia

anzac

International Debutant
IMO in retrospect that was a fairly pivotal series........

I don't think anyone expected NZL NOT to get beaten, least of all IND.......
considering NZL were without Bond, and then Astle broke down in the 1st Test - NZ did well to hang on for the draw.........

then in the 2nd Test they turned the tables on IND and IND hung on for the draw as the NZL attack ran out of steam - lack of firepower while Vettori bowled as well as any of the locals...........

IMO NZL gained the 'moral' victory, but I also feel that it was exactly the sort of result that Wright & IND needed b4 their tour to AUS to enable them to get focused & become more professional..............

IND certainly seemed to learn their lesson & have been able to go on with the job in both AUS and PAK - however NZL still seem to fail to grasp their opportunities & fall on their own sword as evidenced in the recent Home series v PAK & RSA...........

as I have said b4 they have yet to learn the art of winning cricket.......

:cool:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Most likely to dethrone Australia? In the short-term probably India if their bowlers can click consistently for a series. Their batting isn't likely to fall apart. :)

In the long-term, England would be the more likely I reckon. They'll need to start treating their bowlers a little better with regards to workloads but they have the talent pool to beat anyone if they play as a team.

In my mind's eye I can see a cricket field in the future where either Steve Harmison or the leg-spin talent they've unearthed at the time takes the last wicket in a 3-2 series win to regain the Ashes. :) I'll be crying but it'll be some damn entertaining cricket!

Craig

World Traveller
I'm willing to wait and see before going about singing Harmison's praises and whether or not he can back this up.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
I'm willing to wait and see before going about singing Harmison's praises and whether or not he can back this up.
You mean you're leaving it all to Chris Hinton and his leg spin?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I get your point, Anzac, but you yourself admitted that India were the better team in that series........Then how can anyone rate NZ ahead of India or even South Africa, IMHO..I mean that these teams are doing much better than them but somehow everyone seems to think for some magical reason, that NZ are the next big thing in cricket........

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think Australia's decline will happen a lot sooner than most predict.

It'l happen due mainly to Warne and Mcgrath ageing -- I think both are past their best.
Yes I know the Aussies will bring up Sri Lanka -- Warne bowled well there but I still think wear and tear takes a toll -- he is not as good as he was before the 'drug' break.

Eclipse

International Debutant
EnglishRose said:
I think Australia's decline will happen a lot sooner than most predict.

It'l happen due mainly to Warne and Mcgrath ageing -- I think both are past their best.
Yes I know the Aussies will bring up Sri Lanka -- Warne bowled well there but I still think wear and tear takes a toll -- he is not as good as he was before the 'drug' break.
The decline might come but unfortunatly while we wont be as good as before we will still probably have the strongest team because we have the best backups.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That is unproven.

Anyone who has not yet played cannot be rated against each other.

They may look like they're good, but not everybody takes to International Cricket.

And of course the India series suggests that the bowling back-ups are not the best...

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
I agree that the Aussie decline will come soon. Why? Well we always talk of our brilliant back up. Yes, we have great batting back up, but where to look for our bowling? Tait, Cleary and the like will in the future become good bowlers, but they are unproven and erratic, hardly ready for international cricket. With out present stocks in McGrath, Warne and Kasprowicz aging, and Gillespie not far behind, I can't see Australia having a good attack for years to come.:( (except perhaps the next two years;) )

Jayzamann

International Regular
Mr. Ponting said:
I agree that the Aussie decline will come soon. Why? Well we always talk of our brilliant back up. Yes, we have great batting back up, but where to look for our bowling? Tait, Cleary and the like will in the future become good bowlers, but they are unproven and erratic, hardly ready for international cricket. With out present stocks in McGrath, Warne and Kasprowicz aging, and Gillespie not far behind, I can't see Australia having a good attack for years to come.:( (except perhaps the next two years;) )
Remember Dizzy is only 27. So is Brett Lee. If they both play their cards right with their physical health. (although that doesn't seem to probable) they would have a good 7 years still in them. Plenty of time to give the young South Aussies some experience.

tooextracool

International Coach
Jayzamann said:
Remember Dizzy is only 27. So is Brett Lee. If they both play their cards right with their physical health. (although that doesn't seem to probable) they would have a good 7 years still in them. Plenty of time to give the young South Aussies some experience.
yeah and brett lee does look like he can take over the mantle from mcgrath and become a potent strike bowler in the years to come!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Jayzamann said:
I hope that Lee spearheads the Aussie attack for the next seven years.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Brett Lee is pathetic.

No offence to his fans but he has all the talent one man could ever ask for he has a near perfect action and he can move the ball around very well though the air both ways and when he trys hard he even has good cotrol.

Just has no idea about a good line and length though.

tooextracool

International Coach
Eclipse said:
No offence to his fans but he has all the talent one man could ever ask for he has a near perfect action and he can move the ball around very well though the air both ways and when he trys hard he even has good cotrol.
cant you even insult bad aussie players properly???

Jayzamann

International Regular
Eclipse said:
Brett Lee is pathetic.

Just has no idea about a good line and length though.
Um... yeah. Are you putting down Brett Lee or pointing out his talents? Because you sort of jump around a bit.

Deja moo

International Captain
I guess he's saying that Brett Lee has all the talent in the world , but not the brains to put them to use consistently.

Reminds me of one of the great players of our times.........AA :p