• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in decline thread

Will Australia Fall into a Slump?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hope so.

I wouldn't discount India tomorrow, but then again I wouldn't discount England on the grounds that 'our' seam attack is weakened.

India's seam attack isn't great as yet, but I can remember on a tour over here many years ago they had to go to the Lancashire league for a seamer to open the bowling alongside Abid Ali (Madan Lal).
In those days, though, the seamer's job was just to get rid of the shine, then enter Chandra, Prasanna, Bedi, Venkat....

muralilal

Banned
Brits have an ageing squad.I mean Alec,Nasir,Gough(?),Butcher and Thorpe won't be there for long.

In contrast India have a young squad that will get better and better with time,Nath is alrady out and Khan,Nehra,Youhannan and Ajit are bound to improve

BengalCat

Cricket Spectator
I generally agree with Jaspal, in few yrs India will be at the top.Guys like Kaif,Khan,Yuvraj,Youhannan and Nehra have the potential to answer their critics :D

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
In the glory days of Indian spin that Eddie mentions with the likes of Bedi, Chandra, Venkat and Prasanna, India opened the bowling on occasions with Sunil Gavaskar. The shine was gone after a couple of overs no doubt ;).

Who knows who is going to be good in a few years. Talent doesn't necessarily mean that quality test cricketers will be produced. It's a hard game and more than a few young hopefuls have fallen by the wayside. You need to keep the balance right. Australia is heading into the too old category and will need to blood some youth in the not too distant future if they are to continue at the top.

BengalCat

Cricket Spectator
Who will spearhead Aussie attack after McGrath???

Who will?????????????
By that time, Flemming,Warne,McGill will all be gone.Jason is injury prone, while Lee has been more of a dissapointment.Will Aussies attack be weakened after McGrath??
Or will be able Lee/Jason form a good opening attack?

BengalCat

Cricket Spectator
Nah, Aus are getting older, they can't remain at top for long.

I think India have a balanced team, a fine blend of world class batsmen,spinners and pacers.All they need is a good opener and a good pacer to open the bowling with tiger Khan!

lordprasad

Cricket Spectator
Yeah man, it looks a bit scary already.But they have Bracken and an offspinner comming up, it won't be the same but the attack won't be crap either

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
LOL hehehe guys its abt time you started worrying abt ur own bowling attack.
Anyway, agree with u guyz that after mcgrath,warne there isn't much to compare. But i asure you that the aussies having their excellent systme will churn up some good bowlers

BengalCat

Cricket Spectator
"But i asure you that the aussies having their excellent systme will churn up some good bowlers "

That is based on ur assumptions, u didnt even name a single bowler!

"LOL hehehe guys its abt time you started worrying abt ur own bowling attack"

first India isn't on top, secondarily, the bowlers India are playing nowdayers are all young , they can only get better but not worse!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
As an Englishman

Australia have been producing great bowlers for 100 years, there's no reason why it should stop now...

Probably some kid still playing Grade Cricket somewhere, I'd guess..

And anyone, anyone, can get worse.

BengalCat

Cricket Spectator
There have been periods when their attack was thin, noone can remain on top all the time.

NOTE: I never said Ozoz wont be able to come up with good bowlers, but who exactly do u think will replace giant bowlers like McGrath/Jason/Warne.All this talk that "someone/Somewhere will do it" doesn't make any sense to me!

[Edited on 8/24/02 by BengalCat]

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
I think Lee along with gillespie have amazing potential, but I will have to disagree that nathan bracken is one of the competitors for being the spearhead of the attack in the time to come, Nathan Haurits looks good but he still has to improve alot and that will only be achieved through hard work and some luck to get picked on some tours at least to gain experience.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stuart Clark will come through and make a really good test bowler, he is in the mould of McGrath. He should be blooded soon to get some experience.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
"But i asure you that the aussies having their excellent systme will churn up some good bowlers "

That is based on ur assumptions, u didnt even name a single bowler!
True, i dont have many names to list, BUT i was just making the point that with the academies and all going on there, the odds of them finding a good/great (u ppl seem to confuse) bowler is far more then we may think.