• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in decline thread

Will Australia Fall into a Slump?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dont think thats right, T_C.

Off the top of my head they won in 1948, in 1963 (61?), and drew in 1972.

But you are right about the perspective part. As Australia come back to the pack, tis to be expected.
Got my historical soundbites mixed up (that's what I get for not checking) - 1934 was the last time Aus regained the Ashes in England.

Point remains (if somewhat weakened); Aus have just come back to the pack rather than being annoyingly dominant.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it's pretty clear we're in decline. It was bound to happen after dominating for so long. I doubt we'll see us struggle to beat Zimbabwe or Bangladesh on a consistent basis, but against the higher quality teams we will struggle a fair bit.

Can see us going through the summer 6-0 however.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nah, they are and will continue to remain the top three. I think in fact this is close to the bottom as they'll get, which is pretty scary for the rest of the world really. Their domestic system is too good.

morgieb

Nah, they are and will continue to remain the top three. I think in fact this is close to the bottom as they'll get, which is pretty scary for the rest of the world really. Their domestic system is too good.
Techincally, we're already out of the top 3. :ph34r:

morgieb

When was the last time we lost 2 Ashes series in a row? Not since the 1980's, when we were useless.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
When was the last time we lost 2 Ashes series in a row? Not since the 1980's, when we were useless.
OK, several things:
1, the 1980s is only a couple of decades ago;
2, Australia haven't lost 2 Ashes in a row, they've lost 2 out of 3;
3, The Ashes isn't the be-all-and-end-all;
4, only once previously in Australian cricket history did they win in England as often as they did 1989-2001, and that was in the Bradman era. Aside from that, there was only ever the odd victory here and there.