• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Season 2008/09

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
If they're only taking 14 players to SA, honestly can't see them picking 2 spinners.
Yeah probably. With McGain taking a 5-fer it makes thing pretty interesting. Hauritz is probably bowling as well as he ever has at present. McGain is still better bowler overall. I guess it might depend on whether the main focus is just winning the SA, or looking long term.

Though if they take one spinner it is a lot of pressure if they are basically going to be picked for all three tests to add variety regardless of performances. It might depend on how likely they are to play four seamers.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
They should do a "Match of the Round" thing. Put the best match on each round (ie. two highest placed sides or whatever, this week would've been VIC vs. SA). I'm not sure why they don't show it though, surely it's going to rate a thousand times better than replayed golf or the World Darts Championship.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Buger Redbacks lost. Great game though. Ferguson ton and to make his ODI debut :). Klinger also made good scores.

Manou got a century in the first innings and took 7 dismisalls. He must be up with the top wicket keepers.

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
Yeah probably. With McGain taking a 5-fer it makes thing pretty interesting. Hauritz is probably bowling as well as he ever has at present. McGain is still better bowler overall. I guess it might depend on whether the main focus is just winning the SA, or looking long term.

Though if they take one spinner it is a lot of pressure if they are basically going to be picked for all three tests to add variety regardless of performances. It might depend on how likely they are to play four seamers.
I'd agree that Hauritz is as good as ever atm - but (as you noted) McGain got 5-fer, which is something Hauritz has never done at the domestic level (in fact, Hauritz' 4-fer in the first dig was his best ever domestic bowling).

I think McGain has wicket taking ability, and, frankly, if we're looking to the future, the 28 year old Hauritz isn't it. He's as good as he's ever going to be, and - nice guy that he is - he's not a test standard player by a long shot (over the years it's been shown that he's barely a first class standard player).

Take McGain to South Africa, Englad, play him at home here next summer, and hopefully during those 18 months another spinner will arrive!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Take McGain to South Africa, Englad, play him at home here next summer, and hopefully during those 18 months another spinner will arrive!
I would be surprised if one does as people were saying the same thing 18 months ago when Warne retired. 18 months of MacGill and then another will arrive.

You never know Cam Boyce is meant to be pretty good from Queensland. Though they been saying that about most U19 spinners for the last 10 years,

Hoggy31

International Captain
Cue indifferent performances with some promise in his first few seasons with a move to NSW to follow.

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
I would be surprised if one does as people were saying the same thing 18 months ago when Warne retired. 18 months of MacGill and then another will arrive.

You never know Cam Boyce is meant to be pretty good from Queensland. Though they been saying that about most U19 spinners for the last 10 years,
Bryce McGain 'arrived' - only problem is that he's almost ready to retire when he's just beginning!

Cam Boyce and Stephen Smith are the 2 guys to watch. They don't have to be 'Warney good' - just Trevor Hohns good would probably be enough!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
GOD-DAMMIT-SON-OF-A-BITCH-****-****-****-****-****-DISHWASHER.

Hating Victoria right now, tbh.