• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Fielder After Rhodes????

Who is the best fielder after Jonty Rhodes???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
I'd add Dilshan and Michael Clarke to that list. Brad Hodge is a damn fine fielder too though not all that acrobatic.

Anyway it's deVilliers hands down.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Symonds genuinely has a claim for the best. Would give Rhodes a run for his money.

lachlan43

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Colin Bland was supposedly up there with Rhodes. I haven't seen much of his fielding, but from what I've heard he was an absolute cracker.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Symonds, Jonty and Ponting are all the best I've seen.

I'll argue though that Symonds can do close to what Jonty and Ponting did in the ring, but is a better outfielder.

Whether that makes him a better fielder is up for debate, but it definitely makes him more versatile.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Symonds, Jonty and Ponting are all the best I've seen.

I'll argue though that Symonds can do close to what Jonty and Ponting did in the ring, but is a better outfielder.

Whether that makes him a better fielder is up for debate, but it definitely makes him more versatile.
To counter that though, Ponting is a much better slipper than Symonds.

My post last time this topic was brought up:

myself said:
Yeah, I agree. Symonds is a great outfielder and a great cover fieldsman, but the true test of a fielder's worth in Tests IMO is his fielding in the slips. I don't recall ever seeing Symonds in there - possibly because he's valuable elsewhere, I suppose. But Ponting has all you'd want for a point or cover fieldsman as well as being a fine slip as well.
Symonds has since fielded in the slips and was quite poor, which just strengthens my opinion really.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Roshan Mahanama (catch 01, catch 02 ) Also needs a place there. Far better fielder than Chandana or Dilshan. Easily the finest ever Asia produced.

Easily better than Kaif, Yuvraj and Collingwood. I would put him just behind Ponting and Gibbs, but ahead of all others.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
It's pity that Asia does not produce a lot of good fieldsmen. SL is the only place in Asia where good fielders are bred day and day out. Mahanama, Dilshan, Chandana, Jayasuriya, Murali (in his youth), Dharmasena, De Silva, Jayawardane and Tllekaratne (short leg) were all electric in the field.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It's pity that Asia does not produce a lot of good fieldsmen. SL is the only place in Asia where good fielders are bred day and day out. Mahanama, Dilshan, Chandana, Jayasuriya, Murali (in his youth), Dharmasena, De Silva, Jayawardane and Tllekaratne (short leg) were all electric in the field.
Its very strange. All my experiences of cricket at even lover levels follow this trend. Probably the 5 most athletic Asian fielders I have played with are all Sri Lankan.

On a seperate and related note, Ramprakash was a fine fielder in his youth.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
To counter that though, Ponting is a much better slipper than Symonds.

My post last time this topic was brought up:

Symonds has since fielded in the slips and was quite poor, which just strengthens my opinion really.
Not denying that you're right, but when has he fielded in the slips and been poor, because my memory escapes me.