• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohammad Asif held in Dubai

biased indian

International Coach
Mohammad Asif, the Pakistan fast bowler, has been held in Dubai on suspicion of possessing drugs. :-O:-O

The fast bowler, who tested positive for the banned steroid nandrolone, nearly two years ago, was held back by local authorities the day before yesterday though it is believed that they have not yet registered a case against him.

Link

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was just going to post this. Oh dear, not a good look especially after he's been in the dock for it before.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistani cricket: Where amazing happens.
Whats amazing is not this news but that cricket enthusiasts should find this news "amazing".

Why are you surprised ?

Just because the Paksitani authorities, the Pakistani fans and supporters, Pakistani media and public in general, continue to force their heads deeper still into the sand emerging only to scream, that "the needles found on Shoaib were for insulin" or that the legendary heroes (let them remain un-named for to restart another controversy is not my intention) have never had anything "proven" against them and hence match-fixing and other allegations are figments of fertile imagination etc., the facts don't change. It doesn't change the fact that things have been getting from murky and murkier to dirty and dirtier in the sub-continent in general and Pakistan in particular.

If we think that bringing the culprits to book is somehow connected to national pride and brings collective shame then their is no hope for us.

But surprised? No Sir - I am not surprised at all. Yes, I would have been a bit more surprised if he was caught by a Pakistani airport authority and then convicted.

Last edited:

social

If true (not the detention but the posession), then Asif must rank as one of the most stupid and arrogant guys on the face of the planet

I live in Dubai and, as a hub for airlines and a place visited by millions every year, it's extremely well known that there is zero tolerance for drugs here - guy was recently detained for having poppy seeds (input to certain drugs) from a roll on his jacket

pasag

RTDAS
If true (not the detention but the posession), then Asif must rank as one of the most stupid and arrogant guys on the face of the planet

I live in Dubai and, as a hub for airlines and a place visited by millions every year, it's extremely well known that there is zero tolerance for drugs here - guy was recently detained for having poppy seeds (input to certain drugs) from a roll on his jacket
What's the average punishment if found guilty for stuff like opium and hashish over there?

Lambu

U19 Debutant
Whatever his talents on the cricketing field, I think its reasonable to assume that he will always have a start stop career like Shoaib.Hence will miss more matches than he plays.

social

What's the average punishment if found guilty for stuff like opium and hashish over there?
Like anywhere, it depends on the individual case (trafficking vs personal use, etc)

However, to the best of my knowledge, the authorities can hold you for a substantial period of time whilst investigating the case - can be several months

Whatever the outcome, he wont be in a happy place right now and may not be for some time

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/02/20/dj.grooverider/index.html

Craig

World Traveller
Yikes! Four years.
Harsh indeed. Over here it would be a fine at best.

Anyway if correct that he had drugs on him, he would be pretty stupid and would deserve what he gets. Places like Singapore, Thailand and the UAE are the last places you would be stupid enough to bring drugs into. Or try to at least.

duffer

i have just heard the news on a news channel ,,,,,couple of mins. before

he may get jailed for 3 years!!!!!!!!
From experience I know Indian news channels like to get the worst case scenario and present it as the likely scenario. Really depends what he is caught with and the amount, at least it isn't in Pakistan where they can sweep it under the rug (ala Shoaib and his needles).

masterblaster

International Captain
If it's true then he's an absolute idiot. In my mind anyway, now it's more clear than ever that Sohail Tanvir is the future leader of the Pakistani fast bowling attack.