• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohammad Asif held in Dubai

bagapath

International Captain
Exactly - what does Pakistan have that UAE wants so badly that they'll compromise their stance on the transit of drugs through their country, given the powerful people in Dubai already have more money than they could feasibly ever use?
pakistan is an important country in the middle-eastern political dictionary since that is the last big islamic nation before secular india and communist china define a different world order if you take an eastward journey from the gulf. with pakistan also playing a role in the war against terror, and paying a heavy price within its boundaries every day for siding with the west, it is an important ally for strong muslim regimes - both for their religious rooting and for a foothold in the minds of western policy makers. it has also been traditionally a strong base for any country that wants to keep an eye on india.

all this politics and religion cant have anything to do with an idiotic sportsman carrying drugs on an international flight, though. was just trying to say dubai will certainly be careful about its diplomatic relations with pakistan; despite UAE being much richer than the bigger nation.

i remember a some indian guys were caught in dubai with drugs a few years ago. one of them was a minister's son. after much chaos, they were let go. similarly i expect asif to be back in pakistan in a few days.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i remember a some indian guys were caught in dubai with drugs a few years ago. one of them was a minister's son. after much chaos, they were let go. similarly i expect asif to be back in pakistan in a few days.
Times change

social

No they dont. Theres no way they will risk international relations over something as small as this. I'll eat my proverbial hat otherwise :sleep: :)
And just who do you think has the upper hand in those relations (Asif or no Asif)?

biased indian

International Coach
If you read where I posted an example (one guy had something stuck to his shoe and it was so small it couldn't be used for anything, or even been seen) where he got nailed. If it was a large enough sample for him to know he had it, then it's a different story.
ya saw a link it was saying .02 gram i think :)

biased indian

International Coach
No they dont. Theres no way they will risk international relations over something as small as this. I'll eat my proverbial hat otherwise :sleep: :)
only think that can save asif now is him being DD player india say that they will pull out all the indians from UAE....then they sure will accept anyhting :ph34r::cool:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Anyone know how much Asif had? I'd like to know if it was different to the guy getting a spec stuck on the bottom of his shoe?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Hey, fantastic

It's hard work trying to keep him entertained when it's too hot to take him outside

Cheers
Its great having a small child. Enjoy it fully while it lasts. There is no great pleasure in the world. Dont let any career/other ambitions deprive you of this greatest of joys.

Give him my love. :)

social

Its great having a small child. Enjoy it fully while it lasts. There is no great pleasure in the world. Dont let any career/other ambitions deprive you of this greatest of joys.

Give him my love. :)
Thanks so much :)

He has changed my life so much for the better

Being a bona fide expert of 2 years standing, you can never appreciate life fully until you have kids

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Thank God Shoaib was not there with him this time else PCB would have blamedShoaib for this one as well.

PCB on the issue :- "For us, Asif innocent till proved otherwise"

They are clearly doing the same thing to Asif that they did to Shoaib when he was younger. I have always said that Asif is not as innocent as he has claimed and just Glad that the Drug Cheat gets at least a 5 year ban.

jeevan

International 12th Man
With social on this one. Pakistan does not have limitless influence with UAE. And the goodwill they have, will be and has been used for bigger fish like politicians and mafiosi. Cricket is simply not that important in the grand scheme of things for Asif to be bailed.

Makes me think that Harbhajan and Sreesanth are not the most harebrained of cricketers around.

ret

International Debutant
Asif, who was understandably "shattered" by the events, but maintained that he did not know what the substance was and had been carrying it in his wallet for several months.
Why would you carry something in your wallet for several month, if you don't know what it is .... that logic beats me