• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian reserve teams to Australia and Israel

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Squad for Israel: Jaydev Shah (capt), Swapnil Asnodkar, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ravi Teja, M Vijay, Wriddhiman Saha, Rajat Bhatia, Yogesh Takawale (wk), Rakesh Dhruv, Mohnish Parmar, Vishal Bhatia, Basant Mohanty, Pradeep Sangwan, Ashok Dinda, R Vinay Kumar

Squad for Australia: Parthiv Patel (capt), S Badrinath (vice-capt), Ajinkya Rahane, Shikhar Dhawan, Manoj Tiwary, Abhishek Nayar, Virat Kohli, Amit Mishra, Pankaj Singh, Manpreet Gony, Siddharth Trivedi, Dhawal Kulkarni, Iqbal Abdulla, Ravinder Jadeja, Pinal Shah.
Decent squads, but the presence of a few has-beens and a star-son leading a team is a bit disappointing. Moreover, there's a shortage of all-rounders here. Takawale deserves this chance he's getting, though there's Saha to compete- in fact, four (so-called) wicketkeeper-batsmen are in these teams. Hopefully we'll see a much-improved Pinal Shah and Pankaj Singh. Uthappa, playing in the frontline team, could benefit a lot more from such a tour.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Who are they playing on these tours?

I hope Dhawan does well, thought he handled himself well in the IPL.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Australia squad is a lot stronger, but who are they playing in Israel? Are there enough Indians or cricket fans there to get people to games, cricket facilities?

Lambu

U19 Debutant
what is the composition of the Aussie squad for this series?? I hope both Gony and Pankaj come back better bowlers from this experience.

pasag

RTDAS
The Australia squad is a lot stronger, but who are they playing in Israel? Are there enough Indians or cricket fans there to get people to games, cricket facilities?
Was speaking to a mate who trained with them not long ago. Low Aussie club level at best. The fans/players there are all Aussie, SA and English expats. Not really many Indians but perhaps a very few Indian Jewish expats as well.

I think this is the special tournament Israel started arranging a couple months back and got Jonty Rhodes to play for them. They also tried to get a couple of Jewish FC cricketers from Australia and around the world including Klinger and Moss but they both refused, 'cbf' iirc.

duffer

Was speaking to a mate who trained with them not long ago. Low Aussie club level at best. The fans/players there are all Aussie, SA and English expats. Not really many Indians but perhaps a very few Indian Jewish expats as well.

I think this is the special tournament Israel started arranging a couple months back and got Jonty Rhodes to play for them. They also tried to get a couple of Jewish FC cricketers from Australia and around the world including Klinger and Moss but they both refused, 'cbf' iirc.
Ah, so what is effectively India's third team should be enough to take that competition or whatever is going on out. Extensive googling and I still can't find any details about the squad or tournament. No idea where Arjun got this info.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Well the Israel game looks like a bit of joke frankly, I mean Jonty Rhodes is the best player by a country mile and he's been retired for a while.

The Australia tour is much more important. A bit dissapointed (and suprised) that Pujara didn't make the Australia squad. Also dissapointed at a number of military medium pacers chosen, they're never going to do anything at the international level, Praveen Kumar is the exception, why haven't Munaf Patel or VRV Singh been picked? Also would have liked to see KP Appanna go ahead of Iqbal Abdulla, he definitely merits a place ahead of him (Mumbai favouritism if you ask me). Also suprised at the inclusion of Ravindra Jadeja, what's he done to win a place? I agree that Uthappa would have benefited hugely from this, he needs to improve his game and develop into a more complete batsmen, he's starting to look very one dimensional, though I think he'll be opening in the tri-series instead. The selectors shouldn't obsess over the U-19 side and should give places to the guys who are proving themselves in the Ranji trophy. The side is full of talent but only Badrinath and maybe Parthiv Patel look test ready, the others all need to improve their technique and temperament if they are to make it internationally. Manoj Tiwary looks awesome but he needs to learn to play on the back foot. This could be a very important tour for the future of Indian cricket. Maybe Ojha should have gone on this tour?

I hope Badri is given the next spot in the Indian middle order, he could have a Hussey-esque impact. He should have gotten a chance ahead of Kaif when Tendulkar was injured against SA but the old Chennai prejudice was playing up. Rohit Sharma looks good but he still has some way to go. Gambhir should play ahead of Jaffer, he would combine well with Sehwag, he's the right age and Jaffer who was chosen for his technique was exposed in Australia.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I really like the look of that squad they've sent to Australia. Hope they're reasonably successful :)

pasag

RTDAS
Ah, so what is effectively India's third team should be enough to take that competition or whatever is going on out. Extensive googling and I still can't find any details about the squad or tournament. No idea where Arjun got this info.
Will be a thrashing but it's more of an exhibition match than anything.

These are the cricinfo links - here and here.

These are the links from the Aussie Jewish News - here and there were a few others I read recently but their search function isn't working atm.

duffer

Will be a thrashing but it's more of an exhibition match than anything.

These are the cricinfo links - here and here.

These are the links from the Aussie Jewish News - here and there were a few others I read recently but their search function isn't working atm.
Cool. Also not surprised they found a Jewish-Indian FC player, quite a few large synagogues in and around Mumbai from what I recall.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh my, oh my. One of the players in that Israeli team is a retired Holland player!

Niranjan Shah Jr, it seems, is on a paid holiday.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Decent squads, but the presence of a few has-beens and a star-son leading a team is a bit disappointing. Moreover, there's a shortage of all-rounders here. Takawale deserves this chance he's getting, though there's Saha to compete- in fact, four (so-called) wicketkeeper-batsmen are in these teams. Hopefully we'll see a much-improved Pinal Shah and Pankaj Singh. Uthappa, playing in the frontline team, could benefit a lot more from such a tour.
I see no has-beens? Unless you're terming Parthiv one, which is a little tough IMO.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The links saggers provided says the game has been arranged to mark the 60th anniversary of the foundation of Israel. The "Israel XI" is made up of one or two actual Israelis, a lot of Jewish players (Bacher the biggest name) from elsewhere & Rhodes and Lefebrve who're described as "supporters of cricket in Israel", whatever that means.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I see no has-beens? Unless you're terming Parthiv one, which is a little tough IMO.
This team has Parthiv Patel and Siddharth Trivedi, and neither are 'emerging' players. In comparison, promising young players like Pradeep Sangwan, Cheteshwar Pujara and Yogesh Takawale are going with Jaydev to Israel.

adharcric

International Coach
Pujara should be going to Australia. Kulkarni and Abdulla have no place in such a squad - several superior options exist. Otherwise, good selection.

duffer

Don't understand the fascination with Takawale. Looks an average keeper and nothing special with the bat. Israel squad is about right for him, Parthiv and Pinal deserve their spots ahead of him for sure.

Very interested to seeing Rahane and how he does. Has had a great start to his FC and List A careers but didn't get a fair crack in the IPL.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Pathiv Patel is the definition of an emerging player, the others (except Badri) are talented youngsters but over the last year Patel has really stepped up his game (not sure how is keeping's going), his batting is a lot better than it was when he last played for India. I think he'd hit more runs than Dhoni in test cricket but Dhoni isn't losing his place anytime soon. I think he's definitely better than Dinesh Karthik.