Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Indian reserve teams to Australia and Israel

Indian reserve teams to Australia and Israel

Squad for Israel: Jaydev Shah (capt), Swapnil Asnodkar, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ravi Teja, M Vijay, Wriddhiman Saha, Rajat Bhatia, Yogesh Takawale (wk), Rakesh Dhruv, Mohnish Parmar, Vishal Bhatia, Basant Mohanty, Pradeep Sangwan, Ashok Dinda, R Vinay Kumar

Squad for Australia: Parthiv Patel (capt), S Badrinath (vice-capt), Ajinkya Rahane, Shikhar Dhawan, Manoj Tiwary, Abhishek Nayar, Virat Kohli, Amit Mishra, Pankaj Singh, Manpreet Gony, Siddharth Trivedi, Dhawal Kulkarni, Iqbal Abdulla, Ravinder Jadeja, Pinal Shah.
    Decent squads, but the presence of a few has-beens and a star-son leading a team is a bit disappointing. Moreover, there's a shortage of all-rounders here. Takawale deserves this chance he's getting, though there's Saha to compete- in fact, four (so-called) wicketkeeper-batsmen are in these teams. Hopefully we'll see a much-improved Pinal Shah and Pankaj Singh. Uthappa, playing in the frontline team, could benefit a lot more from such a tour.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Who are they playing on these tours?

I hope Dhawan does well, thought he handled himself well in the IPL.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Over 0.2: Putland to Nevill, OUT, no run, full ball swings in late to crash into his pads. Nevill is almost falling over trying to get bat on it but can't. Huge shout for LBW and Umpire Martell eventually raises the finger! P.Nevill - lbw b:Putland 0 (1 ball, 1 minute).

The Australia squad is a lot stronger, but who are they playing in Israel? Are there enough Indians or cricket fans there to get people to games, cricket facilities?

what is the composition of the Aussie squad for this series?? I hope both Gony and Pankaj come back better bowlers from this experience.

Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    The Australia squad is a lot stronger, but who are they playing in Israel? Are there enough Indians or cricket fans there to get people to games, cricket facilities?
    Was speaking to a mate who trained with them not long ago. Low Aussie club level at best. The fans/players there are all Aussie, SA and English expats. Not really many Indians but perhaps a very few Indian Jewish expats as well.

I think this is the special tournament Israel started arranging a couple months back and got Jonty Rhodes to play for them. They also tried to get a couple of Jewish FC cricketers from Australia and around the world including Klinger and Moss but they both refused, 'cbf' iirc.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Was speaking to a mate who trained with them not long ago. Low Aussie club level at best. The fans/players there are all Aussie, SA and English expats. Not really many Indians but perhaps a very few Indian Jewish expats as well.

I think this is the special tournament Israel started arranging a couple months back and got Jonty Rhodes to play for them. They also tried to get a couple of Jewish FC cricketers from Australia and around the world including Klinger and Moss but they both refused, 'cbf' iirc.
    Ah, so what is effectively India's third team should be enough to take that competition or whatever is going on out. Extensive googling and I still can't find any details about the squad or tournament. No idea where Arjun got this info.

State Vice-Captain
    Well the Israel game looks like a bit of joke frankly, I mean Jonty Rhodes is the best player by a country mile and he's been retired for a while.

The Australia tour is much more important. A bit dissapointed (and suprised) that Pujara didn't make the Australia squad. Also dissapointed at a number of military medium pacers chosen, they're never going to do anything at the international level, Praveen Kumar is the exception, why haven't Munaf Patel or VRV Singh been picked? Also would have liked to see KP Appanna go ahead of Iqbal Abdulla, he definitely merits a place ahead of him (Mumbai favouritism if you ask me). Also suprised at the inclusion of Ravindra Jadeja, what's he done to win a place? I agree that Uthappa would have benefited hugely from this, he needs to improve his game and develop into a more complete batsmen, he's starting to look very one dimensional, though I think he'll be opening in the tri-series instead. The selectors shouldn't obsess over the U-19 side and should give places to the guys who are proving themselves in the Ranji trophy. The side is full of talent but only Badrinath and maybe Parthiv Patel look test ready, the others all need to improve their technique and temperament if they are to make it internationally. Manoj Tiwary looks awesome but he needs to learn to play on the back foot. This could be a very important tour for the future of Indian cricket. Maybe Ojha should have gone on this tour?

I hope Badri is given the next spot in the Indian middle order, he could have a Hussey-esque impact. He should have gotten a chance ahead of Kaif when Tendulkar was injured against SA but the old Chennai prejudice was playing up. Rohit Sharma looks good but he still has some way to go. Gambhir should play ahead of Jaffer, he would combine well with Sehwag, he's the right age and Jaffer who was chosen for his technique was exposed in Australia.

I really like the look of that squad they've sent to Australia. Hope they're reasonably successful
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    Ah, so what is effectively India's third team should be enough to take that competition or whatever is going on out. Extensive googling and I still can't find any details about the squad or tournament. No idea where Arjun got this info.
    Will be a thrashing but it's more of an exhibition match than anything.

These are the cricinfo links - here and here.

These are the links from the Aussie Jewish News - here and there were a few others I read recently but their search function isn't working atm.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Will be a thrashing but it's more of an exhibition match than anything.

These are the cricinfo links - here and here.

These are the links from the Aussie Jewish News - here and there were a few others I read recently but their search function isn't working atm.
    Cool. Also not surprised they found a Jewish-Indian FC player, quite a few large synagogues in and around Mumbai from what I recall.

Icon3

It's good to see teams touring to countries like Israel.....
    Specially India....
    "I have seen God. He bats at number 4 for India" - Mathew Hayden

Greatest Fan of Master Blaster Sir Sachin Tendulkar

Addicted to International Cricket Captain.

Ajit Agarkar Rocks.

**Proud** fan of Chris Martin's Batting.
    Yousuf Pathan : The Time Is Now.

Terrorism Sucks

You will be missed:-
    Sourav Ganguly , Anil Kumble , Jonty Rhodes , Chris Cairns , Adam Gilchrist , Heath Streak , Micheal Bevan , Robin Singh

Oh my, oh my. One of the players in that Israeli team is a retired Holland player!

Niranjan Shah Jr, it seems, is on a paid holiday.

Breakout Champion!
    Israel?

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
    Decent squads, but the presence of a few has-beens and a star-son leading a team is a bit disappointing. Moreover, there's a shortage of all-rounders here. Takawale deserves this chance he's getting, though there's Saha to compete- in fact, four (so-called) wicketkeeper-batsmen are in these teams. Hopefully we'll see a much-improved Pinal Shah and Pankaj Singh. Uthappa, playing in the frontline team, could benefit a lot more from such a tour.
    I see no has-beens? Unless you're terming Parthiv one, which is a little tough IMO.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by steds View Post
    Israel?
    The links saggers provided says the game has been arranged to mark the 60th anniversary of the foundation of Israel. The "Israel XI" is made up of one or two actual Israelis, a lot of Jewish players (Bacher the biggest name) from elsewhere & Rhodes and Lefebrve who're described as "supporters of cricket in Israel", whatever that means.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information