• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian reserve teams to Australia and Israel

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I truly don't think that Yo Mahesh deserved to be dropped from the India A team and think he should have gone to Australia. He is a very real fast bowling prospect.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
I truly don't think that Yo Mahesh deserved to be dropped from the India A team and think he should have gone to Australia. He is a very real fast bowling prospect.
I agree, the guy is only 20.It could have made a world of difference to him.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't believe that India should try to nurture military medium bowlers such as Dhawal Kulkarni who do not possess a domestic record.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree, the guy is only 20.It could have made a world of difference to him.
Yes. He has the pace and natural attributes, but merely needs practice against high level opposition. Although I am usually against disregarding domestic records, he is a perfect bowler for Australian conditions - with a good bouncer and prodigious swing.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
yes..but his wrist position is wrong at times though,tends it to push it down the leg-side.But you are right about his pace and i believe he can add 5kph further.Should be good if handled properly.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
Also what is your opinion of Gony?particularly his action?He has a high arm action and bowls a "heavy ball" and thats good but don't you think he is losing some pace because of this?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
yes..but his wrist position is wrong at times though,tends it to push it down the leg-side.But you are right about his pace and i believe he can add 5kph further.Should be good if handled properly.
If you push it down the leg side, it is not an issue, because it is a wasted ball. The issue comes when you have to push the ball with the wrist to get it straight, like Steve Harmison at his worst.

Also what is your opinion of Gony?particularly his action?He has a high arm action and bowls a "heavy ball" and thats good but don't you think he is losing some pace because of this?
Gony has a good action and I really believe that he is not bowling at full pace. I have read that he was told to slow down and concentrate on line and length in the IPL and it did work to bring him some success. His action is actually technically correct. He ticks the boxes: he has a long, balanced run up which accelerates; he rocks back on the backfoot and gets the front leg high whilst keeping an 'L' shape with the front arm and aiming where he intends to bowl (something neglected at all levels) and he completes the action well, with the non bowling arm pointing to the sky after release.

What do you mean by him losing pace by bowling a heavy ball. All 'heavy ball' means is that the ball hits the bat harder than the batsman would expect. Although there is no definiative cause, it is usually due to a bowler being particularly strong and so powering the ball into the ground from a height.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
I don't mean he loses pace because of bowling a 'heavy ball'.What i meant to say was that he seems to concentrate on that rocking back and delivering from that height that i feel his accleration during the delivery stride is not what it can be?you getting me?Particularly that rocking back seems too exaggerrated and i think he loses some of his momemtum gained during his run-up..its possible i may be imagining things.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I do and it is a valid point. However, I believe that the rocking back is necessary for him to get the front leg high, which does give him a lot of pace. Perhaps he does lean back a tad too much, but I would suggest that it is a marginal, rather than large issue. Delivering the ball from a great height would not compromise his effectiveness greatly; as Glenn Mcgrath showed, compromising pace for bounce is worth about the 5-10kph which it loses.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
yeah i agree with your points..isn't it possible to have a bit of both?For e.g Ishant Sharma doesn't seem to rockback that much..but still i guess each bowler has his own methods.Anyway thanks for the analysis!!

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah i agree with your points..isn't it possible to have a bit of both?For e.g Ishant Sharma doesn't seem to rockback that much..but still i guess each bowler has his own methods.
Indeed. Ishant Sharma doesn't rock back too much but his much thinner build demands a different style to Gony. Ishant sprints in through the crease and gets through the action quickly, whereas Gony has a methodical and yet quick approach to the wicket, gathering his strength rather than his momentum.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pathiv Patel is the definition of an emerging player, the others (except Badri) are talented youngsters but over the last year Patel has really stepped up his game (not sure how is keeping's going), his batting is a lot better than it was when he last played for India. I think he'd hit more runs than Dhoni in test cricket but Dhoni isn't losing his place anytime soon. I think he's definitely better than Dinesh Karthik.
as a keeper, no way in hell mate. :)

He still has butter fingers.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
as a keeper, no way in hell mate. :)

He still has butter fingers.
Lambu and Manee, great work analyzing the fast bowlers. Never been good in that particular area, as I have never bowled fast and I really don't understand what a fast bowler goes through..

Great to see that now we have two more analysts of fast bowling. Goughy must be pleased. :)

Lambu

U19 Debutant
naah..i couldn't pretend to know anything about fast bowling even if my life depended on it.Just some guess work.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
The links saggers provided says the game has been arranged to mark the 60th anniversary of the foundation of Israel. The "Israel XI" is made up of one or two actual Israelis, a lot of Jewish players (Bacher the biggest name) from elsewhere & Rhodes and Lefebrve who're described as "supporters of cricket in Israel", whatever that means.
Zionists or members of Mossad.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Mumbai Mirror can't stop complaining. They now complain that the BCCI said that it's India vs Israel, and not 'Invitational XI' teams facing each other. We knew this from the start anyway. That said, these are just friendlies and won't even be classified as List-A matches.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Reports from the first match- The Indian reserve reserves won by nine wickets. The stand-out performer was Rajat Bhatia, a batsman, who had bowling figures of 4/1 in five overs with four maidens. The Israeli invitational team were all out for 53 in 23 overs, then the Indians rolled it over in less than six overs.