Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quiz for the MASTER CRICKET BOOK BUFF

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!

Quiz for the MASTER CRICKET BOOK BUFF

Okay here is a Quiz with a difference (more than one really) Here is what I have in mind as for details.

1. The Quiz and the Objective
    • The question will be in the form of a quote from a cricket book.
    • The quote should be of minimum 200 words and must be a CONTINUOUS passage from the book. No words can be omitted from the passage as it appears in the book.
    • The objective is to guess the

a) Title,
    b) Author and
    c) Subject of a book
    To start with it will be only about cricket books.

2. The Format
    • The format will be similar to the "SJS-trivia' quiz except that there will only a dozen questions allowed.
    • There will be a compulsory hint after the 6th, 8th, 10th and the 12th (and the final) question.
    • The compulsory hints must also be in the form excerpts from the same book, again in continuous passage of 125 words (minimum) and must contain a hint towards the answer.
    • After the final hint only a complete answer with all three components of the question has to be offered.
    • Only one such complete answer can be offered by each person attempting the quiz.
    • The result will be declared only 24 hours after the final hint. No suggestion will be made in those 24 hours as to the correctness (partially or fully) of any of the answers affered so as not to influence others still to offer an answer.

Points/Marking
    • Correct answers will be awarded points as under
      - Title : 20 points
      - Author : 20 points
      - Subject matter* : 10 points.
      *The subject matter can not be somthing vague like "a cricket tour" but it could be "the Ashes series of 2005". It cant be something like "a biography of a cricketer" but it could be something like " a biography of Boycott"
    • Each person asking the question will have one negative point scored against them.
    • The negative marks for a particular part of the question will not be counted for the person who is the first to answer that part correctly.
    • There will be a Master-Book-Buff declared after every 25 quizzes.

To start with only I will post a quiz since the format may be modified as we go along. We will change this once the format is settled.

Any comments, suggestions, queries before I post the first quiz ??
    Last edited by SJS; 02-06-2008 at 12:21 AM. Reason: modifications in terms

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Okay here we are.

Here is a 200 word+ excerpt from a cricket book. You have to ask 12 questions (which can be answered in yes or no) to arrive at
    a) the title of the book
    b) the name of the author
    c) the subject matter of the book.

It just appears difficult but if you get one of the above three the others become pretty easy really.

Throughout the summer most of my time was spent thinking about the afternoon nets or the game to be played against another prep school and worrying in case it rained. I can remember various masters throwing things at me to try and bring my attention back from down some cricketing lane. Another irksome thing which was like a ball and chain around my enthusiasm was the compulsory lying down for half an hour after lunch every day. I would appreciate it now, but then it was like tipping itching powder over me and not allowing me to wash off. When the bell sounded at the end of this session I would be off down to the nets like some caged greyhound suddenly released to chase the hare.

With other boys of a like mind this often led to chaos in the race to be first - and much scheming. If caught by a master in the rush the penalty was being to sent the back of the queue. The art was to make a calculated last-minute effort from just behind the leaders who would spring any possible traps by the masters.

There was a tremendous enthusiasm for practice and the goal of getting into the Prep side was, for me, an added stimulant. It meant something "socially" to be in the team, and this with my basic deep seated desire for cricket and my competitive instinct encouraged me further on my success.

Did the cricketer play for a country from the Southern Hemisphere?
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Over 0.2: Putland to Nevill, OUT, no run, full ball swings in late to crash into his pads. Nevill is almost falling over trying to get bat on it but can't. Huge shout for LBW and Umpire Martell eventually raises the finger! P.Nevill - lbw b:Putland 0 (1 ball, 1 minute).

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Q1. Did the cricketer play for a country from the Southern Hemisphere?....No
    Last edited by SJS; 02-06-2008 at 12:56 AM.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Okay, clearly negative marking is not such a great idea. Instead we will give bonus points for answer given before all questions or hints are used up. That will make it an incentive to answer and not a disincentive as with negative answers.

We live to learn

Did he play all his International Cricket before 1980?

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Q2. Did he play all his International Cricket before 1980?.... Yes

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Did he go on to captain England?
    You know it makes sense.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Q3. Did he go on to captain England?....NO

Hint No. 1 :

The happiness of achievement remained, although the celebration of victory had ended.

The champagne laced, beer laden, hangover-inducing rejoicing of Sydney, where the final scenes had given way to the equally enjoyable round of Melbourne, where I had spent a week of farewells. More drinks, this time strictly, ice-cold Aussie beer, had been pressed into my hands in Darwin's airport by Australians who had become temporary friends united by the game. With the battle over and Ashes decided, the Australians were ready with congratulations and slaps on the back.

No doubt these very same people had been crying for my blood only a fortnight before as they sat drawn to the television sets watching the action....
    Last edited by SJS; 02-06-2008 at 07:48 AM.

State Vice-Captain
    4. Was he a fast bowler ?

Deleted and added a direct question a couple of times but since I don't feel confident I am going with a more conventional one.

5. Only if the answer to the above is yes, did he take more than 30 wickets in the above Ashes ?
    Last edited by Tapioca; 02-06-2008 at 09:40 AM.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
    4. Was he a fast bowler ?

Deleted and added a direct question a couple of times but since I don't feel confident I am going with a more conventional one.

5. Only if the answer to the above is yes, did he take more than 30 wickets in the above Ashes ?
    John Snow? I think that might be who Tapi is on too

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    John Snow? I think that might be who Tapi is on too
    Yes, the deleted question no.5 was "was he a bit of a poet" The book would be Cricket Rebel in that case ?

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    4. Was he a fast bowler ?....YES
    5. Only if the answer to the above is yes, did he take more than 30 wickets in the above Ashes ?....YES

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Q6. John Snow?.......YES

Twenty points to Archie _Mac

Tough luck Tapi

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
    Yes, the deleted question no.5 was "was he a bit of a poet" The book would be Cricket Rebel in that case ?
    It isn't really 'offered' as an answer but we will give it to you this time.

It is Cricket Rebel

Twenty points for Tapi

Easy ten points going for the subject of the book - first come first served !!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information