• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quiz for the MASTER CRICKET BOOK BUFF

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Okay here is a Quiz with a difference (more than one really) Here is what I have in mind as for details.

1. The Quiz and the Objective
  • The question will be in the form of a quote from a cricket book.
  • The quote should be of minimum 200 words and must be a CONTINUOUS passage from the book. No words can be omitted from the passage as it appears in the book.
  • The objective is to guess the
a) Title,
b) Author and
c) Subject of a book​
To start with it will be only about cricket books.

2. The Format
  • The format will be similar to the "SJS-trivia' quiz except that there will only a dozen questions allowed.
  • There will be a compulsory hint after the 6th, 8th, 10th and the 12th (and the final) question.
  • The compulsory hints must also be in the form excerpts from the same book, again in continuous passage of 125 words (minimum) and must contain a hint towards the answer.
  • After the final hint only a complete answer with all three components of the question has to be offered.
  • Only one such complete answer can be offered by each person attempting the quiz.
  • The result will be declared only 24 hours after the final hint. No suggestion will be made in those 24 hours as to the correctness (partially or fully) of any of the answers affered so as not to influence others still to offer an answer.

Points/Marking
  • Correct answers will be awarded points as under
    - Title : 20 points
    - Author : 20 points
    - Subject matter* : 10 points.​
    *The subject matter can not be somthing vague like "a cricket tour" but it could be "the Ashes series of 2005". It cant be something like "a biography of a cricketer" but it could be something like " a biography of Boycott"
  • Each person asking the question will have one negative point scored against them.
  • The negative marks for a particular part of the question will not be counted for the person who is the first to answer that part correctly.
  • There will be a Master-Book-Buff declared after every 25 quizzes.

To start with only I will post a quiz since the format may be modified as we go along. We will change this once the format is settled.

Any comments, suggestions, queries before I post the first quiz ??

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Okay here we are.

Here is a 200 word+ excerpt from a cricket book. You have to ask 12 questions (which can be answered in yes or no) to arrive at
a) the title of the book
b) the name of the author
c) the subject matter of the book.

It just appears difficult but if you get one of the above three the others become pretty easy really.

Throughout the summer most of my time was spent thinking about the afternoon nets or the game to be played against another prep school and worrying in case it rained. I can remember various masters throwing things at me to try and bring my attention back from down some cricketing lane. Another irksome thing which was like a ball and chain around my enthusiasm was the compulsory lying down for half an hour after lunch every day. I would appreciate it now, but then it was like tipping itching powder over me and not allowing me to wash off. When the bell sounded at the end of this session I would be off down to the nets like some caged greyhound suddenly released to chase the hare.

With other boys of a like mind this often led to chaos in the race to be first - and much scheming. If caught by a master in the rush the penalty was being to sent the back of the queue. The art was to make a calculated last-minute effort from just behind the leaders who would spring any possible traps by the masters.

There was a tremendous enthusiasm for practice and the goal of getting into the Prep side was, for me, an added stimulant. It meant something "socially" to be in the team, and this with my basic deep seated desire for cricket and my competitive instinct encouraged me further on my success.​

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Q1. Did the cricketer play for a country from the Southern Hemisphere?....No

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Okay, clearly negative marking is not such a great idea. Instead we will give bonus points for answer given before all questions or hints are used up. That will make it an incentive to answer and not a disincentive as with negative answers.

We live to learn :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Q2. Did he play all his International Cricket before 1980?.... Yes

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Q3. Did he go on to captain England?....NO

Hint No. 1 :

The happiness of achievement remained, although the celebration of victory had ended.

The champagne laced, beer laden, hangover-inducing rejoicing of Sydney, where the final scenes had given way to the equally enjoyable round of Melbourne, where I had spent a week of farewells. More drinks, this time strictly, ice-cold Aussie beer, had been pressed into my hands in Darwin's airport by Australians who had become temporary friends united by the game. With the battle over and Ashes decided, the Australians were ready with congratulations and slaps on the back.

No doubt these very same people had been crying for my blood only a fortnight before as they sat drawn to the television sets watching the action....

Last edited:

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
4. Was he a fast bowler ?

Deleted and added a direct question a couple of times but since I don't feel confident I am going with a more conventional one.

5. Only if the answer to the above is yes, did he take more than 30 wickets in the above Ashes ?

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
4. Was he a fast bowler ?

Deleted and added a direct question a couple of times but since I don't feel confident I am going with a more conventional one.

5. Only if the answer to the above is yes, did he take more than 30 wickets in the above Ashes ?
John Snow? I think that might be who Tapi is on too:ph34r:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
4. Was he a fast bowler ?....YES
5. Only if the answer to the above is yes, did he take more than 30 wickets in the above Ashes ?....YES

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, the deleted question no.5 was "was he a bit of a poet" :) The book would be Cricket Rebel in that case ?
It isn't really 'offered' as an answer but we will give it to you this time.

It is Cricket Rebel

Twenty points for Tapi
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Easy ten points going for the subject of the book - first come first served !!:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Politics and cricket seem to mix even in seemingly unlikely parts of the world. One of the places cricket helped me was, unbelievably, the White House in Washington. I had flown from New York to Washington after the England trip and met Pierre Salinger, President Kennedy's press secretary, soon after I arrived. Pierre had obviously enquired about me ....*

'I know all about cricket', he told me. I expressed surprise. 'Yes,' said Pierre, ' I used to score for a team in Philadelphia.'

He said it was a pity I hadn't come sooner; the President was holding a press interview that afternoon and any visitor had to be vetted forty eight hours before by security. Still, because of our mutual interest in cricket, Pierre said he would try to get the rule waived. He did the trick - I was admitted but was told I could not ask any questions - details of these had to be submitted first so that the President, who pointed out which questioner he would answer, knew what to expect. A woman journalist in a big hat kept sniping at the President but he treated her kindly. He stood on a well knit podium beneath the words "The President of the USA", looking magnificently fit, well tailored, speaking quickly and musically, needing none of the trappings that seem such a part of American politics. It was the last television interview he gave.​

Name ...
- the book,
- the author and
- the subject matter​
.... for the above excerpt

* I have deviated a bit from the rules by removing the name of the embassy/consulate/high commission where the enquiry was made so as not to give such a big hint at the outset.

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Thinking loudly :

Kennedy died in November 1963. West Indies were in England till September and I would assume it was one of them who went to USA. If so, who could that be ? Frank Worrell is a likely name. Learie Constantine was involved in politics but he was settled in England by then and unlikely to talk about "England trip". There is also a strong hint that the guy was also seriously involved in writing or journalism.

One West Indian who was involved in cricket and journalism as well as politics was CLR James. He was in England from the 1930s but returned to West Indies in the mid-1950s or thereabouts. He is likely to have made a trip to England in 1963 and his Beyond the Boundary was published that year as well. So I'll go for him.

May be wrong, but a decent guess, I guess !

Last edited: