• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Watson, you're a star

pasag

RTDAS
I remember when he was being written off as a longer format player only and now he's been named the player of the tournament in a premier, extended Twenty20 competition with shedloads of international stars.

What a gun.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's a special talent that is for sure. Hopefully he can stay injury free and he can really show us what he is capable of. I think we've found how to use him. Make sure he doesn't bowl anymore than 4 overs a day.

social

He's a special talent that is for sure. Hopefully he can stay injury free and he can really show us what he is capable of. I think we've found how to use him. Make sure he doesn't bowl anymore than 4 overs a day.
Yep

Let him bat, the guy is high quality

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
His bowling is suited to T20, and his batting is fantastic.

I remember a commentator (I think Damien Fleming) during the world cup saying he'd spent a ridiculous amount of time in the nets developing his hitting so he could bat at No.7 for Australia in ODI's. And his innings when the side were in trouble in this tournament were mature and brilliantly timed.

duffer

When he gets back into the Aussie side he'd be wasted at 7. Wouldn't mind seeing him getting the opening slot again.

yaju

State Vice-Captain
In a team like Australia, where guys like David Hussey having a first class average of 56 don't make their international debut till the age of 29, Shane Watson made his debut at the age of 21. The selectors must have spotted something special in him to give him a break at such a young age.

Hats off to the Player of the Tournament, very well played by him, he has developed a cult following not only in India but the whole world must have stood up and took notice of the stuff that he is made of.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
When he gets back into the Aussie side he'd be wasted at 7. Wouldn't mind seeing him getting the opening slot again.
Yeah imagine that's the first place he'd get a shot. Still not sure whether or not he'll be successful there, but that's the first place I'd want to see. If it doesn't work, try him at seven again.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Voila.
Where Watson is now is what many people call 'the zone', a place for which many long but few reach. Watson claims he is "nearly there", and going by the kind of performances he has put in, it is hard to disagree. He was set to be crowned Man-of-the-tournament and yet is draped in humility.

"The IPL has been an amazing opportunity and redemption for me. I'm lucky to have been a part of this extravaganza. It feels so great to be performing, being fit, and playing as well as I know I can. I have enjoyed it tremendously."

Watson has long been ridiculed for choosing intensity over longevity and wanting to emulate Andrew Flintoff, whereas actually, he has only followed the English hulk in cracking up frequently. When asked about his 'Freddie fixation', Watson was hesitating, though forthright.

"Yes, a couple of years ago, I used to compare myself to Flintoff.

“But now I am trying to be the best cricketer I can be, which means performing as an all-rounder. Flintoff is a great cricketer in his own right but we are different players, and I have realized that."

Now much wiser

Dressed in a Jimi Hendrix T-shirt and multicoloured bermudas, Watson appears a man at peace. As an impressionable youngster, he had been guilty of getting ahead of himself, but experience has certainly made him wise.

"I am not gonna think too far ahead now and bother myself. I know I have always been good at that and paid the price. I'm enjoying what I am doing, how I am doing it, and stringing a few games together.

“Hopefully, the opportunity to play for the country will come along soon, but I am serene now."

It is said recuperation from an injury, especially for a fast bowler, is more mental than physical. There is always that lingering fear in the back of the mind that there might be a relapse if one strains too hard. Watson says that he has gone through this confining feeling, but has now eradicated the thought. And it is this "free mind" that has been the key in his rehabilitation.

"My mind is free and I have now the confidence in my body that I lacked. Now, I don't have things at the back of my mind like what happens if I get injured… This has been the difference," he confessed.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Been my favourite player for a fair while now. Glad to see him performing as well as a lot of us felt he could with adequate opportunity and fitness.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With Australia's attack looking uncertain in the medium term, Watson may be vital if he could come back and bowl, say 10 overs a day. He'd just be so handy to have in the side. Certainly his batting technique looks up to test class, and he needs the opportunities to see whether he has the temperament to match.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Pick him for Australia at number 4 in the ODIs I say.

Haydos the gun, can retire from ODIs, a side like this would be great, especially for Watto.

1 Marsh
2 Clarke
3 Ponting
4 Watson
5 Symonds
6 Haddin [switch with hussey if you like]
7 Hussey

Top_Cat

Pick him for Australia at number 4 in the ODIs I say.

Haydos the gun, can retire from ODIs, a side like this would be great, especially for Watto.

1 Marsh
2 Clarke
3 Ponting
4 Watson
5 Symonds
6 Haddin [switch with hussey if you like]
7 Hussey
Hussey back to 7 below Haddin? And Watto above Symonds? Surely you jest. Both of those two are still above Watto in the pecking order for middle-order spots and are amongst Australia's best-performed ODI players.

I would suggest the opening spot would be a tussle between Watto and Hopes with Marsh brought in to experiment later in the series if needed. No way will Marsh get a start, as well as he played in India.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hussey back to 7 below Haddin? And Watto above Symonds? Surely you jest. Both of those two are still above Watto in the pecking order for middle-order spots and are amongst Australia's best-performed ODI players.

I would suggest the opening spot would be a tussle between Watto and Hopes with Marsh brought in to experiment later in the series if needed. No way will Marsh get a start, as well as he played in India.
Nope no jest, I just picked the side I would go for, I didn't mean this series against the Windies cause Watto isn't even in the squad. Just the side they should be looking at selecting down the track.

Like I said you can pick Hussey and Haddin the other way around, I think it depends on the game situation. Watto ahead of Symonds would be fantastic. I like both of them, just think our lineup looks better with Symonds at 5 rather than 4.

Top_Cat

Like I said you can pick Hussey and Haddin the other way around, I think it depends on the game situation. Watto ahead of Symonds would be fantastic. I like both of them, just think our lineup looks better with Symonds at 5 rather than 4.
Why? Symonds at 4 has been a powerhouse for years; why on Earth would you want to mess with that?