Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shane Watson, you're a star

Shane Watson, you're a star

I remember when he was being written off as a longer format player only and now he's been named the player of the tournament in a premier, extended Twenty20 competition with shedloads of international stars.

What a gun.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    He's a special talent that is for sure. Hopefully he can stay injury free and he can really show us what he is capable of. I think we've found how to use him. Make sure he doesn't bowl anymore than 4 overs a day.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Here's hoping Watson can make a comeback to some cricket soon.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright View Post
    He's a special talent that is for sure. Hopefully he can stay injury free and he can really show us what he is capable of. I think we've found how to use him. Make sure he doesn't bowl anymore than 4 overs a day.
    Yep

Let him bat, the guy is high quality

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Here's hoping Watson can make a comeback to some cricket soon.
    This series represents a marathon for him so here's hoping

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    His bowling is suited to T20, and his batting is fantastic.

I remember a commentator (I think Damien Fleming) during the world cup saying he'd spent a ridiculous amount of time in the nets developing his hitting so he could bat at No.7 for Australia in ODI's. And his innings when the side were in trouble in this tournament were mature and brilliantly timed.

When he gets back into the Aussie side he'd be wasted at 7. Wouldn't mind seeing him getting the opening slot again.

In a team like Australia, where guys like David Hussey having a first class average of 56 don't make their international debut till the age of 29, Shane Watson made his debut at the age of 21. The selectors must have spotted something special in him to give him a break at such a young age.

Hats off to the Player of the Tournament, very well played by him, he has developed a cult following not only in India but the whole world must have stood up and took notice of the stuff that he is made of.
    Yaju
    Self Proclaimed World's Greatest 12th Man.

I like wasting homo sapiens' time - like the way I wasted yours just now.

Quote Originally Posted by 5N1p3R j0C|<
    Why are you wasting time your reading others' quotes?
    Quote Originally Posted by DD
    <quack>

Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    When he gets back into the Aussie side he'd be wasted at 7. Wouldn't mind seeing him getting the opening slot again.
    Yeah imagine that's the first place he'd get a shot. Still not sure whether or not he'll be successful there, but that's the first place I'd want to see. If it doesn't work, try him at seven again.

Can anyone read the last two pages of this article on Watto?

http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryP...2%80%99s+world

I'd like to but it's not working for me.

Voila.
    Where Watson is now is what many people call 'the zone', a place for which many long but few reach. Watson claims he is "nearly there", and going by the kind of performances he has put in, it is hard to disagree. He was set to be crowned Man-of-the-tournament and yet is draped in humility.

"The IPL has been an amazing opportunity and redemption for me. I'm lucky to have been a part of this extravaganza. It feels so great to be performing, being fit, and playing as well as I know I can. I have enjoyed it tremendously."

Watson has long been ridiculed for choosing intensity over longevity and wanting to emulate Andrew Flintoff, whereas actually, he has only followed the English hulk in cracking up frequently. When asked about his 'Freddie fixation', Watson was hesitating, though forthright.

"Yes, a couple of years ago, I used to compare myself to Flintoff.

“But now I am trying to be the best cricketer I can be, which means performing as an all-rounder. Flintoff is a great cricketer in his own right but we are different players, and I have realized that."

Now much wiser

Dressed in a Jimi Hendrix T-shirt and multicoloured bermudas, Watson appears a man at peace. As an impressionable youngster, he had been guilty of getting ahead of himself, but experience has certainly made him wise.

"I am not gonna think too far ahead now and bother myself. I know I have always been good at that and paid the price. I'm enjoying what I am doing, how I am doing it, and stringing a few games together.

“Hopefully, the opportunity to play for the country will come along soon, but I am serene now."

It is said recuperation from an injury, especially for a fast bowler, is more mental than physical. There is always that lingering fear in the back of the mind that there might be a relapse if one strains too hard. Watson says that he has gone through this confining feeling, but has now eradicated the thought. And it is this "free mind" that has been the key in his rehabilitation.

"My mind is free and I have now the confidence in my body that I lacked. Now, I don't have things at the back of my mind like what happens if I get injured… This has been the difference," he confessed.

Thank you.

awesome talent!! hope he makes a comeback soon.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Been my favourite player for a fair while now. Glad to see him performing as well as a lot of us felt he could with adequate opportunity and fitness.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    With Australia's attack looking uncertain in the medium term, Watson may be vital if he could come back and bowl, say 10 overs a day. He'd just be so handy to have in the side. Certainly his batting technique looks up to test class, and he needs the opportunities to see whether he has the temperament to match.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information