• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stuart MacGill announces his retirement

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Unless Warne makes a comeback this will be the first Ashes where England had a better spinner than Australia for a long long time :blink:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Warne makes a comeback after 2 years without playing cricket (note: cricket, not Twenty20) we might still have anyway.

In any case, had MacGill played on MSP would almost certainly have been better than him.

Let's think - last time would probably have been 1985 when it was John Emburey vs Murray Bennett and Bob Holland.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
If Warne makes a comeback after 2 years without playing cricket (note: cricket, not Twenty20) we might still have anyway.

In any case, had MacGill played on MSP would almost certainly have been better than him.
Such is England's 'brainfreeze' vs Leg spin of any standard, i wouldnt be so sure about that. I'll be glad if we just get to face an off spinner of some sort.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Such is England's 'brainfreeze' vs Leg spin of any standard, i wouldnt be so sure about that. I'll be glad if we just get to face an off spinner of some sort.
We played MacGill with no difficulty at all in 2002/03, and had he been selected in 2005 I see no reason to suggest we'd not have done the same. We've also had little difficulty against Danish Kaneria on a good few occasions.

If Casson is picked in 2009, I'd be smacking my lips and presuming England's batsmen would be doing the same.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Probably got a tap on the shoulders by the selectors. Take the chance to retire or get dropped. Or it could have been a pre-emptive strike.

Mister Wright

We played MacGill with no difficulty at all in 2002/03, and had he been selected in 2005 I see no reason to suggest we'd not have done the same. We've also had little difficulty against Danish Kaneria on a good few occasions.

If Casson is picked in 2009, I'd be smacking England's batsmen's lips.
Should your future wife be concerned?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Sad day for spinners, one of great modern spinner retires. You don't fluke 200 Test wickets.

MacGill retires and Tait comes back from retirement to walk into the first Test against NZ.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater

Let's think - last time would probably have been 1985 when it was John Emburey vs Murray Bennett and Bob Holland.
What sport is Twenty20?

fredfertang

I also seem to recall in 2005 Australia played a half decent leggie who had a half decent series yet we won - I doubt Peter Moores et al will be worrying about the spin attack this time

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sad day for spinners, one of great modern spinner retires. You don't fluke 200 Test wickets.
MacGill only got 164 (so far) against Test-class teams though. And while you don't fluke doing that, getting them at an average in the early-30s (which flatters him) is hardly a terrific achievement. Nor is that strike-rate people go on so much about particularly good, being just shy of 60.

howardj

International Coach
I hope MacGilla at least finds some contentment in retirement. He sure never found it on a cricket field - he comes across as so angry, like a volcano that's ready to erupt at the drop of a hat (or catch, as the case may be). I don't mind people who are a bit outside the square, but I got the impression with MacGill that he deliberately tried to be different/rebellious/hard to get along with, which in a team sport is pretty poor form.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Geez, a bit heavy for a retirement thread, isn't it?

Obviously he probably played a couple of matches too many, but he was still a very good bowler for quite a number of years and deserves at least a bit of respect IMO.

Anyway, I think most of us could see it coming. He clearly wasn't going to be able to carry on for much longer, and his performances for more than a season now were falling away pretty badly.

I always liked MacGill because he managed to be a professional sportsman and also have a personality that was slightly more interesting than a cardboard box, which is a rare feat. So, sad to see him go, in that sense.