• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stuart MacGill announces his retirement

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Honestly, Warne was nowhere near as poor as Casson has been so far in his pre-Test-call-up

And remember too, Warne was woeful for his first 18 months of Test cricket too.
I don't think Casson will be a long term solution, but if they are going to go with a spinner, his 2nd half of the domestic season where he averaged mid-20s at least gives him some form.

Here's an article from today's SMH on the fella. Must say I hadn't read much about him before:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/...amazing-journey/2008/06/05/1212259004804.html

Interesting background re. his health.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not when you think that you're getting an allrounder. If you're looking for an allrounder it's far riskier to pick a batsman than an allrounder.
Right...when it places more pressure on the rest of the team if they let you down in both areas. The safe option's not to pick a proven performer in a batsman (some of whom were considered to be able bowl a bit as well while not being genuine all-rounders) than go with someone who in the first instance is unproven, and in the second and third instances has failed before? That's interesting.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not dissimilar, though obviously Ramprakash's problems (which appear not to have been solven) were temperamental. Bevan's were technical (and I simply cannot believe someone as good as him didn't solve them - but at Test level we'll never really know as he didn't get the chance).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think Casson will be a long term solution, but if they are going to go with a spinner, his 2nd half of the domestic season where he averaged mid-20s at least gives him some form.
Didn't said "half" amount to something like 2-and-a-half matches? Or was it 3-and-a-half?

Top_Cat

Not dissimilar, though obviously Ramprakash's problems (which appear not to have been solven) were temperamental. Bevan's were technical (and I simply cannot believe someone as good as him didn't solve them - but at Test level we'll never really know as he didn't get the chance).
Oh no, Bevvo's problems were temperamental. The perception that he was weak against short ones was not really based in fact.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh no, Bevvo's problems were temperamental. The perception that he was weak against short ones was not really based in fact.
Really?

I saw Darren Gough bounce him out with my own eyes, several times.

Sure, Bevan might have been Graeme Hick-esque in some ways - did have a weakness with the short-pitched bowling, but cured it in no time and then had his temperament cause problems, which were subsequently incorrectly put down to a long-solved technical flaw.

But I can't accept that Bevan never had any problems with the short ball.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

You obviously didn't see him facing Devon Malcolm in England in 1997.
Really?

I saw Angus Fraser bounce him out with my own eyes, several times.
Wasn't in Test matches; they only played one Test against each other in Sydney and Fraser got him caught behind in both innings.

Sure, Bevan might have been Graeme Hick-esque in some ways - did have a weakness with the short-pitched bowling, but cured it in no time and then had his temperament cause problems, which were subsequently incorrectly put down to a long-solved technical flaw.

But I can't accept that Bevan never had any problems with the short ball.
Whoa you two, I'm not saying Bevvo was a fantastic player of the short ball. He didn't play the pull or hook all that often so bouncing him wasn't the best tactic because he'd just duck. For that reason it's wrong to say all you had to do was pitch the ball short and he would panic before popping up a catch to short square leg.

Bevvo's biggest problems were definitely temperamental and his propensity to fish outside off-stump in Tests. It's probable that this was causd by his nerves and need to feel bat on ball a lot early in his innings in combination with needing to get bat on ball more often in ODI's

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wasn't in Test matches; they only played one Test against each other in Sydney and Fraser got him caught behind in both innings.
My mistake, meant Gough of course. That giant of a bowler. Actually don't recall too clearly the two Fraser dismissals, but they could've been short deliveries.

Seem to recall Caddick bouncing him out once too, though it too was a catch behind.

BTW, please don't attach Lillian Thomson's name to my posts. :@

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So you've stopped using people's first names if they ask you not to then? :p
:huh: I've never used the first-name of someone who asked me not to - have used the surnames on a couple of occasions, because those people had been dicks to me beforehand. But I don't know nor want to Lillian Thomson's actual name, so that's irrelevant really.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Technical. :huh: You reckon he wasn't bounced very often in the FC game? Issues with the short ball are about as mental related an issue you can get in cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Technical. :huh: You reckon he wasn't bounced very often in the FC game? Issues with the short ball are about as mental related an issue you can get in cricket.
Not entirely sure what how much he was bounced in the domestic game has to do with whether short-ball issues are temperamental or technical, but yes, I do think he would've been bounced plenty in the domestic game (though obviously not as much and not to anywhere near the level he was at the international because it's a step down) and that's why I can't really believe it was a fault he never solved.

And really, I'd say issues with the short-ball are technical, though obviously pretty much anything can be a temperamental weakness.