• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Waugh on Bangladesh

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
For anyone involved to play in the first Test match in Darwin and Cairns, it’d be a big event. Bangladesh obviously aren’t a great side, it’s more the event that you’d want to be part of
- Steve Waugh

Lol, Steve Waugh is brutally honest at times. Most captains probably would have said that Bangladesh are an improving nation & that it will be a good test series..but not Waugh..im pleased to see a Captain make an honest statement.

krkode

State Captain
I haven't seen too many captains not be honest, for that matter :P

I've seen that men like Ganguly, Waugh and Fleming speak their minds...

Men like Cronje and Akram, I've noticed to be much more passive ;)

Langeveldt

Soutie
So what kind of team do you expect aus to field???

I would like to see a full strength team put out, and some severe records broken

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon they'll give Michael Clarke, Noffke, Love etc a fair go against them.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Tim said:
I reckon they'll give Michael Clarke, Noffke, Love etc a fair go against them.
I dont know about that - Australia never seem to keen to give guys a guy just for the sake of it and because they arep laying an ordinary team, but you never know.

I too would like to see them play a full lineup because it wouldn't be giving the full respect to Bangladesh if they don't.

On Bangladesh, I have been bitterly disapointed with their progress. I didn't expect them too win, but to at least improve and at the moment it seems as though they are going backwards.

And its not just losing, its the margin of their losses. They've lost like 75% of the tests they'ev played in by an innings. Even NZ didn't start that bad.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be fair though, didn't NZ start in a time of shorter Tests, so they only needed to battle for draws?

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I think Australia should field there strongest side because I hate seeing people playing for there country just to have a go. I think the pride of playing for your country should be important. Starts shouldn't be given away.

Then again I would love to see the others get a go.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm the Aussie side will be interesting

i would suggest that the side will remain near the strongest level, Steve Waugh looks set to play on, probably retire after the next sydney test.

Darren lehmann may not play n the series as he will be in england and would be fighting it out for 1 batting place with Martin Love.

The bowlers will probably rotate through and get a match off each

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
age_master said:
Darren lehmann may not play n the series as he will be in england and would be fighting it out for 1 batting place with Martin Love.
Based on the evidence of Lehmann's series (in WI), I would think he would generally be the first choice for a Test XI. Love really hasn't had a happy Test match.

krkode

State Captain
Personally, the only reason I would say why Australia should not field a 'B' side for Bangladesh is, because, it would be like straight out saying "You're not worth our A team."

It'd be insulting their ability.

Although, they aren't really a very good team, this would be an outright insult.

Personally, I'd say go 50-50.

I don't even know why they should play together at all :rolleyes:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Bangladesh have to come to terms with the fact that they're not a very good cricketing side, if they haven't already.

krkode

State Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I think Bangladesh have to come to terms with the fact that they're not a very good cricketing side, if they haven't already.
True, and that's personally, why I feel they don't deserve to be playing Test cricket with their peers, right now. They would make good competition with Kenya, Scotland, Holland and Namibia.:saint:

St-KriS

Cricket Spectator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
To continue with my habit of quoting articles today....

Why Australia should field 'B' side for Bangladesh
For a minute there I thought you were suggesting that we put in a half assed team and I really dont like that suggestion. Nor do I like it when Sri Lanka, South Africa or whoever choose to rest quality players and replace them with players who may not be up to the grade yet. So fielding a team like that would be just like an "A" national side which I would have no problem with, as long as it doesnt go down in the record books as a proper test match.

Anyway, I dont believe it will be the slaughter everybody thinks it will. Australia will probably declare after making 400 and bank on them wrapping it up quite easily to give the blokes a well deserved rest.

krkode

State Captain
St-KriS said:
Anyway, I dont believe it will be the slaughter everybody thinks it will. Australia will probably declare after making 400 and bank on them wrapping it up quite easily to give the blokes a well deserved rest.
Oh, I don't know about that... :D

Hayden and Langer seem like two hec of a batsmen, against strong and weak opposition. I wouldn't be surprised if I saw a score like 500/0 decl, each of them 200+ :P

Australia's best ;)