• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shivnarine Chanderpaul

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
When I think of the fine player Shivnarine Chanderpaul has developed into, I wonder, did anyone here see it coming? If so, what was it about his batting that clued you in?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I remember the Shiv vs. Damien Martyn thread around 2-3 years ago, one of the best cricket chat discussions I've ever read here.

I think if we were to do that now, Shiv would take it out, whereas I believe the concensus was that Martyn was the better player in 2005 (following his awesome 2004).

Isura

U19 Captain
I'd like to see him bat at 3. His average will surely go down a bit since he has to face the new ball more often. But WI are usually 30-3 or so anyways, so maybe not.

iamdavid

International Debutant
He's always been a good player.

I remember back in about 2000 there were whispers that he wasnt converting enough of his starts to hundreds (had something like 20 fifties and only one of two hundreds) and wasnt really getting the best out of himself.
However he was always one of the 'players to watch'.

Playing with Lara for so long probably robbed him of much of the credit he deserves, and he's a better player than Martyn was, incase theres still any debate.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
When I think of the fine player Shivnarine Chanderpaul has developed into, I wonder, did anyone here see it coming? If so, what was it about his batting that clued you in?

It was obvious from the first series against England that he was going to be around a long time and score a lot of runs. He wasn't the flamboyant style of batsman that the West Indies often produce but he was very difficult to get out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Chanderpaul's an excellent batsman, and I thought that the first time I watched him seriously, which was 2000. He'd already been excellent for 6 years by then, though.

pasag

RTDAS
He really is so, so good.

Wonder where he fits in in all time West Indies XI? Could he crack the second XI perhaps?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm...
Hunte
Greenidge
Headley
Sobers
Lara
Richards
Walcott

Fredericks
Haynes
Kallicherran
Weekes
Worrell
Lloyd
Dujon

Perhaps Third XI more like TBH...
Rae
Stollmeyer
Nurse
Kanhai
Chanderpaul
Richardson
Deryck Murray

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just goes to show how many exceedingly talented batsmen the West Indies have produced over the years.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I suppose it depends on what you mean. He's really had two breakthrough years in his career - in 2002 when he finally (after 8 years - by god he's been around a while now, hasn't he?!) started to suggest he was more than just a middling to good Test batsman by tripling his number of Test centuries, and in 2007 when he went a step even beyond that and announced himself as one of the best batsmen in the world.

I can't say I predicted that first one, although many probably would have - purely because I hadn't really followed his career as it was going until about 2005. I'd argue though that it was then he proved himself as a "fine player" as you say in your post, and not last year when he really started to go on with it.

As for his exploits of late.. whilst I certainly didn't expect him to do quite as well as he has, I definitely thought he'd lift his game a notch with the retirement of Lara. He has just always seemed that sort of character to me - the direr the situation, the greater the responsibility and the tougher the circumstances, the more he seems to lift. This is why his failed captaincy stint was a bit of a shock to me, but equally why I'm perhaps not as shocked at his recent runfest as some. He's just so calm, so reliable so tempermentally at ease these days. The fact that he has immense batting talent obviously helps, but we all knew that years ago.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The one thing I find most remarkable about Chanderpaul is that he's the stick-around-and-defend batsman who can hang around for a long time, thus building a partnership that counts.

Yet, he doesn't sacrifice his West Indian Hitting Ability and can score in a burst when needed. Clean hitter.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
He's just immovable. Wasn't he unbeaten for 24 hours at the crease during their tour here, or something ridiculous like that?

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
First memory of any international cricket I have (aside, actually, from the final day of the 1998 series against South Africa) was Chanderpaul batting against Pakistan in the 1999 World Cup. He's been one of my favourites ever since.

He just always looked like he could make runs, regardless of the quality of the bowling attack - and even when he didn't. (Yes, know that doesn't really make sense). Those performances in England last year were simply stunning, as were those against India back in 2002 (?). There must be very few players who have the concentration skills he has as well as the ability to play the left-arm spinner out of the rough.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I remember the Shiv vs. Damien Martyn thread around 2-3 years ago, one of the best cricket chat discussions I've ever read here.

I think if we were to do that now, Shiv would take it out, whereas I believe the concensus was that Martyn was the better player in 2005 (following his awesome 2004).
When Damien Martyn came in you always thought there was a chance of getting rid of him quickly - with Chanderpaul you just sigh and wonder when your going to get the bugger at the other end out