• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

For Australians: Series you most want to win

Which series do you want to win the most?

• Australian fan: vs. Pakistan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Australian fan: vs. West Indies

• Non-Australian fan: vs. Sri Lanka

• Non-Australian fan: vs. West Indies

• Non-Australian fan: vs. New Zealand

• Total voters

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Obviously I think it'll be the Ashes, but some are saying that perhaps its not? I mean the Ashes has such a huge and interesting history, the rivalry is deep and very ingrained. So I'd be surprised if its anything else.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Some Englishmen said they were happy with being worse than West Indies, Pakistan, New Zealand and India as long as they were better than Australia. Which is what happened 1986-1988.

Sadly the bubble was burst in 1989 though.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
yeah Ashes for me
Exactly. As an Indian fan, I'd say Australia is definitely the most fun on a regular basis, but India-Pakistan has too much emotional attachment, and if played on a lively track with some good performances - there is very little quite like it.

As everyone knows, I hate ODIs, but there is nothing in the limited overs world, for me, that remotely touches India-Pakistan in a World Cup (not just because India have never lost to Pakistan in the WC :p)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BTW, not entirely sure what you're on with the second part of the poll. As a non-Australian fan I most enjoy the prospect of Australia being beaten by South Africa, so I guess that's what I should vote for.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
BTW, not entirely sure what you're on with the second part of the poll. As a non-Australian fan I most enjoy the prospect of Australia being beaten by South Africa, so I guess that's what I should vote for.
I think it means as non-Australian fan whom would you like to see Australia crush..basically wants to know if there is team you dislike more than the Aussies?Atleast thats how i understood it:happy:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think it means as non-Australian fan whom would you like to see Australia crush..basically wants to know if there is team you dislike more than the Aussies?Atleast thats how i understood it:happy:
It means whatever you want it to mean. I basically didn't want non-Australian fans clouding up the poll. :p

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, I picked the series against India because they're tough to beat but, to be honest, I reckon I'd be upset more if the Saffies ever beat the Aussies.

As for the Ashes, couldn't be too upset in 2005 because the cricket was just so damn good. Was glad the Aussies won it back, though. :)

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Like T_C don't mind losing as long as the cricket is of a high standard. Reckon I'd be most pissed if we lost to South Africa no matter how good the cricket is.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Obviously I think it'll be the Ashes, but some are saying that perhaps its not? I mean the Ashes has such a huge and interesting history, the rivalry is deep and very ingrained. So I'd be surprised if its anything else.
It's better for a rivalry if both teams are competitive and they both bring the best out of each other. Even though one team may seem to have the wood on the other after a few series wins the other team finds the heart to come back and win the next series even though the other team is touted as the greatest ever of all time.

That's why the Rugby League State of Origin battle between N.S.W. and QLD is so wonderful because both teams bring out the best in each other and the overall stats are so close. Just look here to see how close it has been over the years.

Given England have only given Australia one true run for their money in the last quarter of a decade it's hard to feel that burning desire to win. If they were trading series and each contest was very close, it may be a different story.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, that's true actually.

Something else I have done a lot in the past is mixed you up with _Ed_ (because of the _ in the name) so that might be a contributing factor as well actually

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
To be honest, going by that QLD Vs NSW example, I think it is Australia who often bring out the best from India in test cricket and perhaps, vice versa, though I am not fully sure of that. Maybe the Aussie fans can tell whether they feel their cricketers go up a level when playing against India. But the Indians seem to find an extra gear against the Aussies, esp. in tests, apart from the first 3 in 2004 and I think this year's series, if played on the right tracks with the teams prepared and not undercooked, will be a great one. :)

howardj

International Coach
I just love good quality cricket, and am never too fussed on the result.

That said, losing to South Africa, especially with Smithy at the helm, wouldn't be too much fun.

Also wouldn't mind seeing us regaining the Ashes in a tightly fought series.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Normally it'd be England, but I quite like the current English side and wouldn't be too disheartened to lose to them.

Would love to belt the living daylights out of India, though.