• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

For Australians: Series you most want to win

Which series do you want to win the most?

• Australian fan: vs. Pakistan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Australian fan: vs. West Indies

• Non-Australian fan: vs. Sri Lanka

• Non-Australian fan: vs. West Indies

• Non-Australian fan: vs. New Zealand

• Total voters

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
As a non-Australian fan I like seeing India vs Australia test series. India are the only side to have consistently competed against the Aussies in the test arena over the last decade and it's produced a phenomenal standard of cricket from both sides (though India were poor in 2004). I would still rate that 2001 series as the best I've ever seen, better even than the Ashes 2005. It just had absolutely everything. As an Indian fan I look forward to our tour of Australia more than any other series, it brings out the best in our best players and we always seem to discover a new talent in the series. Can't wait till the return series later this year.

In fairness the South Africans really should have consistently gone toe to toe with the Aussies but they've been a dissappointment. If they win in England they should go to Australia with a lot of confidence and in Steyn they have a real spearhead. Also for the first time since readmission the Aussies won't have a significant spin threat which has probably been the difference between the 2 sides.

England were good in 2005 but that Aussie side was coming off an Indian tour they'd been preparing for over 2 years. Losing Mcgrath was also a huge blow and let's face it, England had some massive amounts of luck.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
In fairness the South Africans really should have consistently gone toe to toe with the Aussies but they've been a dissappointment. If they win in England they should go to Australia with a lot of confidence and in Steyn they have a real spearhead. Also for the first time since readmission the Aussies won't have a significant spin threat which has probably been the difference between the 2 sides.
I agree with everything here. I think its vital SA dominate England and really make a huge statement before they land in Australia. They'll come here full of confidence, and with Steyn who if I recall, other than IPL matches, the last time Aus faced him he was bowling pies in the CB Series, far before he became the gun he is.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
South Africa's of-times shocking catching has cost them even more for my money. Had their catching been better, they could easily have won many of the Tests they've lost 1996/97-2005/06. Enough to reverse the results? Who knows. But certainly enough to reverse the results of some Tests.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I agree with everything here. I think its vital SA dominate England and really make a huge statement before they land in Australia. They'll come here full of confidence, and with Steyn who if I recall, other than IPL matches, the last time Aus faced him he was bowling pies in the CB Series, far before he became the gun he is.
Steyn's only played 1 match against Australia UIMM, in which he bowled, what, 5 overs or something.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Steyn's only played 1 match against Australia UIMM, in which he bowled, what, 5 overs or something.
Yeah I recall one horrendous over he bowled when he was hit for something like 20+, got a flukey wicket in the over, and was then super-subbed.

Even then, despite his crapness, you could see he had 'it'.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I recall one horrendous over he bowled when he was hit for something like 20+, got a flukey wicket in the over, and was then super-subbed.

Even then, despite his crapness, you could see he had 'it'.
Can't remember a quicker turn around or growth off the top of my head, at least recently. One minute he's bowling pies, the next he's bowling thunder bolts and getting top quality batsmen out. Couldn't believe some of the results he was getting myself.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yep, that CB Series (which he really shouldn't have been picked for, it was after the entire first-line attack pretty much was invalided) was only, what, 3 months before he was annhailiting New Zealand twice, taking twin seven-fors. And from that moment on, he's always posed a threat. However, from Sri Lanka in 2006 and Pakistan in 2007/08 he's come a long way to India in 2007/08. Though admittedly circumstances were hardly comparable on those two tours.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't really have much of a preference TBH. Obviously I don't want Australia to beat New Zealand, and I want to see India get up, and I'd be quite happy if South Africa beat them too.

Just went with Pakistan because I don't like seeing them do well.