• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

For Australians: Series you most want to win

Which series do you want to win the most?

• Australian fan: vs. Pakistan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Australian fan: vs. West Indies

• Non-Australian fan: vs. Sri Lanka

• Non-Australian fan: vs. West Indies

• Non-Australian fan: vs. New Zealand

• Total voters

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Obviously I think it'll be the Ashes, but some are saying that perhaps its not? I mean the Ashes has such a huge and interesting history, the rivalry is deep and very ingrained. So I'd be surprised if its anything else.
I read that thread, and I think you misinterpreted a bit. I think as a whole Australians would take winning the Ashes if they could only win one series.. the point people were making was that India are the closest to Australia at this point in time and are the most likely to beat them. The series against India is more of a challenge and more of a worry than the Ashes, even though Australians would rather lose it if they had to lose one of the two.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
A win over England would be paramount, but of the teams I'd rather not lose to, it would be South Africa - it's a psychological barrier worth keeping.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Aus-Eng rivalry would have to be one of the longest in sport in general? :unsure:

India and RSA are worthy mentions but Eng for me

MrHat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Aus-Eng rivalry would have to be one of the longest in sport in general? :unsure:
Tell us the other rivalries that have gone on over a hundred years :wacko:

The rivalry amonst Ind-Aus seems to be strongest at the moment, if only for reasons of mutual spite. I'm sure Aussie fans want to see England and India beaten black and blue but there is not the same shared sense of respect and common view held between the latters supporters that builds proper rivalries. There has to be a common understanding that while the sides can rip into each other the sky won't fall in, and that arguments can be settled over a pint.

IMO riivalries built on nationalism and mutual distrust as we have seen with Ind-Pak won't last. The Ind Aus rivalry will eventually diminish bcos: Australia have to modify the way they play (witness Perth) and Aussies will hate this, plus the fact that Ganguly and his incendiary protoges will eventually retire or have their influence diminished and so that ultra competitive / spiteful mentality will peter out.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
IMO riivalries built on nationalism and mutual distrust as we have seen with Ind-Pak won't last. The Ind Aus rivalry will eventually diminish bcos: Australia have to modify the way they play (witness Perth) and Aussies will hate this, plus the fact that Ganguly and his incendiary protoges will eventually retire or have their influence diminished and so that ultra competitive / spiteful mentality will peter out.
I have lots of issues with some of the current people in the Indian side, but Ganguly is quite possibly the best captain in Indian history from the perspective of uniting a side and motivating them (along with John Wright). If the next ten years yields captains like Ganguly in his prime, I'd be a very happy man indeed. He wasn't the best at the tactics side of it, but he was quite adequate, and the the type of confidence and attitude he instilled had more than a little to do with going from 0 Test match wins outside the subcontinent, to quite a few.

India should be encouraging more players to be like Ganguly, not less. He's a great example of how I'd want an Indian captain to be. A lot of sides hate it when you start giving them a taste of their own medicine, so it was quite amusing to see a captain get under other people's skin instead of the other way around. Of course, there's a limit which certain current members have crossed (which is just boorishness, stupidity and showmanship not backed by performance, but that's another story).

Some of the best moments I've had reading a book or listening to commentary was when Waugh slags off at Ganguly and you get a sense of just how much it irritated him. Waugh was obviously a better captain, a better batsman and leader of a far superior side, but even he (and probably especially him) got irritated by Ganguly makes it all the worthwhile. Remember Steve Waugh and mental disintegration? Well Steve was too mentally tough himself to be seriously affected, but I've no doubt that Ganguly had more than a little to do with the Indian successes against Australia during that time.

Haha, wow, I've written way more than I wanted to there....

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
I'd like to beat India the most, from a personal perspective. England and the Ashes come a clear second, though, so don't worry.

I'd also like us not to lose to South Africa - Graeme Smith will be utterly insufferable if they beat us.

honestbharani said:
To be honest, going by that QLD Vs NSW example, I think it is Australia who often bring out the best from India in test cricket and perhaps, vice versa, though I am not fully sure of that. Maybe the Aussie fans can tell whether they feel their cricketers go up a level when playing against India. But the Indians seem to find an extra gear against the Aussies, esp. in tests, apart from the first 3 in 2004 and I think this year's series, if played on the right tracks with the teams prepared and not undercooked, will be a great one.
On the contrary, I don't think that India brings out the best in Australia - more like the worst. For instance, I've noticed that, all too frequently, we're beset by some kind of notable problem when we play them. In 1997/98, we had a third-rate bowling lineup. For most of the 1997/98 and 2000/01 series, we were missing Brett Lee (when he was still regarded as pace bowling's new sensation) and Shane Warne was, at least psycholgically, underbaked. In 2003/04, we were missing Darren Lehmann (a very good player of spin), along with McGrath and Warne. Even when we're not missing players, an aspect of our game seems to drop off: in 2000/01, we looked like idiots against some pretty good spin bowling and in 2003/04 and 2007/08 our catching was laughable. The only times when we weren't beset by serious issues or lapses in key areas would be both 1999/00 and 2004/05 (when India endured key injuries instead).

If you ask me, I reckon that Adam Gilchrist had something to do with this. He averaged 28 against India overall and also dropped several catches and missed at least a few stumpings during this series just gone. Against everyone else, he averaged 40+, which may go some way to explaining our success rate against everyone else.

I agree with the rest of your sentiment, though. India seem to up the tempo when they play us, at the same time when we usually seem to drop off, leading to some competitive series (2000/01, 2003/04 and 2007/08). It's probably good for the game...that being said, I'd still like to beat 'em more than anyone else. :p

Last edited:

MrHat

If India want Ganguly style captaincy they'll be spending alot of time at the judiciary.

His success at the helm coincided with one of the worlds best batting lineups plus two high quality spinners, its not a given they wouldn't have performed at least as well under Dravid. Ganguly himself has improved his behaviour and Zaheer too after his bat waving antics so they appear to be trying to correct some wrongs. There are better methods to inspire your team, for every Ganguly a Dravid and Ponting a Mark Taylor.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'd like to beat India the most, from a personal perspective. England and the Ashes come a clear second, though, so don't worry.

I'd also like us not to lose to South Africa - Graeme Smith will be utterly insufferable if they beat us.

On the contrary, I don't think that India brings out the best in Australia - more like the worst. For instance, I've noticed that, all too frequently, we're beset by some kind of notable problem when we play them. In 1997/98, we had a third-rate bowling lineup. In 2000/01, we were missing Brett Lee (when he was still regarded as pace bowling's new sensation) and Shane Warne was, at least psycholgically, underbaked. In 2003/04, we were missing Darren Lehmann (a very good player of spin), along with McGrath and Warne. Even when we're not missing players, an aspect of our game seems to drop off: in 2000/01, we looked like idiots against some pretty good spin bowling and in 2003/04 and 2007/08 our catching was laughable. The only times when we weren't beset by serious issues or lapses in key areas would be both 1999/00 and 2004/05 (when India endured key injuries instead).

If you ask me, I reckon that Adam Gilchrist had at least something to do with this. He averaged 28 against India overall and also dropped several catches and missed at least a few stumpings during this series just gone. Against everyone else, he averaged 40+, which may go some way to explaining our success rate against everyone else.

I agree with the rest of your sentiment, though. India seem to up the tempo when they play us, at the same time when we usually seem to drop off, leading to some competitive series (2000/01, 2003/04 and 2007/08). It's probably good for the game...that being said, I'd still like to beat 'em more than anyone else. :p
I think you have to separate in India vs. in Australia. Except the last two series, India have not really been competitive in Australia. In 2003/4, India were pretty much peaking while Australia was missing both of its main bowlers. Warne would not have been a big loss, but McGrath certainly would have. In 2007/8, a similar thing happened. McGrath was the danger man vs. India, and coupling that with India being able to get Ponting out cheaply a lot (previously he scored heavily in Australia vs. India) went a long way. And Gilchrist was not the same player either. Of course, India also upped their game and their bowling came a long way - though you have to remember that for most of the series, our best bowler was hurt too.

In India, it's another story. India have always been competitive at home vs. pretty much anyone for a while. Ponting has done nothing in India, Warne does badly, and as you mention, so does Gilchrist. Thats three out of their five key players who are neutralized (McGrath and Hayden do well vs. India both home and away). Basically, it says something about how good Australia are that you can pretty much remove three players from the equation and they can still beat you.

Michael Clarke helps obviously. Someone needs to break that bastard's wrist before the next series.

2001 was really exceptional because we lost the first game badly and we really would lose the second game (and the series) 9/10 times. But out of nowhere, Harbhajan took a hattrick and VVS scored 281 and the rest is history - but it took an event that has only happened a couple times in cricketing history to stop the 16 game winning streak. Australia was completely shellshocked and Harbhajan just rolled them in the third game.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If India want Ganguly style captaincy they'll be spending alot of time at the judiciary.
Definitely worth it. Every time.

His success at the helm coincided with one of the worlds best batting lineups plus two high quality spinners, its not a given they wouldn't have performed at least as well under Dravid.
I don't think they would have. We had spinners in the 90s too, and we had a very good lineup in the nineties as well. But we won 0 Tests outside the subcontinent. Zero. Not series, just TESTS. That is a ridiculous record to have.

a Dravid and Ponting a Mark Taylor.
Different horses for different courses. The style of captaincy needed to inspire and lead a team that never wins vs. a team that always does is completely different. Ganguly's style may not work in Australian team and Ponting's may not work in the Indian team. Dravid, I felt, was a good captain, but was not good as a motivator and under his leadership the locker room was very factionalized, which happened less so with Ganguly (of course, Ganguly would simply not play the players he didn't like, which was great to see).

MrHat

Definitely worth it. Every time.

I don't think they would have. We had spinners in the 90s too, and we had a very good lineup in the nineties as well. But we won 0 Tests outside the subcontinent. Zero. Not series, just TESTS. That is a ridiculous record to have.

Different horses for different courses. The style of captaincy needed to inspire and lead a team that never wins vs. a team that always does is completely different. Ganguly's style may not work in Australian team and Ponting's may not work in the Indian team. Dravid, I felt, was a good captain, but was not good as a motivator and under his leadership the locker room was very factionalized, which happened less so with Ganguly (of course, Ganguly would simply not play the players he didn't like, which was great to see).

India's win outside the subcontinent was probably also a consequence of more touring and finally familiarising themselves with foreign conditions, plus the pitches around the world have flattened out considerably in this period. You have listed the lucky breaks India got around 2003/4 why does Ganguly take so much credit?

Given that India has broken the overseas hoodoo why do you want that sort of culture to continue when it creates trouble on every tour. With England there was 'jellygate' and then 'harbygate' in Aus, Ind can't fly under the radar anymore with offialidom so it may not be an option anyway.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
I think you have to separate in India vs. in Australia.
I was discussing general trends, but perhaps that would've been the prudent thing to do, yes, given the different conditions, circumstances and mentalities with arise in both Australia and India.

Except the last two series, India have not really been competitive in Australia. In 2003/4, India were pretty much peaking while Australia was missing both of its main bowlers. Warne would not have been a big loss, but McGrath certainly would have.
Warne's presence may have galvanised the team - it certainly did in Sri Lanka later on (he also would've done better than Stuart '50' MacGill, too, but that goes without saying). I agree with the rest of this, though.

In 2007/8, a similar thing happened. McGrath was the danger man vs. India, and coupling that with India being able to get Ponting out cheaply a lot (previously he scored heavily in Australia vs. India) went a long way. And Gilchrist was not the same player either. Of course, India also upped their game and their bowling came a long way - though you have to remember that for most of the series, our best bowler was hurt too.
Yeah, Zaheer Khan (and Sreesanth) had little to no role in the Test series. I still think that Australia was below their best during the series, though (with regards to catching, anyway).

Michael Clarke helps obviously. Someone needs to break that bastard's wrist before the next series.
For our part, we probably need to neutralise Anil Kumble and/or Sachin Tendulkar. :naughty:

2001 was really exceptional because we lost the first game badly and we really would lose the second game (and the series) 9/10 times. But out of nowhere, Harbhajan took a hattrick and VVS scored 281 and the rest is history - but it took an event that has only happened a couple times in cricketing history to stop the 16 game winning streak. Australia was completely shellshocked and Harbhajan just rolled them in the third game.
I have long realised this...mentioning it, though, would probably make me look graceless. It also wasn't that relevant to my overall argument.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
India's win outside the subcontinent was probably also a consequence of more touring and finally familiarising themselves with foreign conditions, plus the pitches around the world have flattened out considerably in this period. You have listed the lucky breaks India got around 2003/4 why does Ganguly take so much credit?

Given that India has broken the overseas hoodoo why do you want that sort of culture to continue when it creates trouble on every tour. With England there was 'jellygate' and then 'harbygate' in Aus, Ind can't fly under the radar anymore with offialidom so it may not be an option anyway.
Wtf? How did India create 'jellygate'? England player(s) threw jellybeans on the pitch, and it's somehow India's fault? Not to mention, the Harbhajan/Symonds controversy involved both teams. Really don't see where you get off always having a go at the Indian team, their behaviour of recent times has been nothing worse than we've seen from Australia for the last decade (and more).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If the next ten years yields captains like Ganguly in his prime, I'd be a very happy man indeed. He wasn't the best at the tactics side of it, but he was quite adequate
Y'think?

Personally I always thought Ganguly was a relatively poor tactician. His inspirational qualities, relating to Indian players, were second-to-none and calling him the greatest captain in Indian Test history would not be outrageous, though I think the likes of MAK Pataudi have a fair shout too.

But tactically, he was decidedly average if not below IMO.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
Lol..these Aussies..theyr eally seem to lose it when they come up against India..and recent success of India is not due to any of those reasons you mentioned MrHat.Infact they are absurd.The best thing Aus cricket is that they seem to consider themselves guardians of spirit of the game and they and they alone define the boundary "everyone knows when to stop..."

I personally condone the recent behaviour of IND team esp while playing with AUS..just tailor-made for them infact..

Last edited:

Lambu

U19 Debutant
Y'think?

Personally I always thought Ganguly was a relatively poor tactician. His inspirational qualities, relating to Indian players, were second-to-none and calling him the greatest captain in Indian Test history would not be outrageous, though I think the likes of MAK Pataudi have a fair shout too.

I think he was below average at times in terms of stratergies.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
India's win outside the subcontinent was probably also a consequence of more touring and finally familiarising themselves with foreign conditions, plus the pitches around the world have flattened out considerably in this period.
The wickets flattening-out may have played a part, certainly, but India hardly lacked tours in the 1990s.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
India's win outside the subcontinent was probably also a consequence of more touring and finally familiarising themselves with foreign conditions, plus the pitches around the world have flattened out considerably in this period.
Flattening out of pitches means more draws and sometimes it means India are more competitive, but surprisingly, quite a number of Indian victories have come in pitches like these. That's just an extreme example.

You have listed the lucky breaks India got around 2003/4 why does Ganguly take so much credit?
Because that's just one series, there were many. Plus, even with the breaks, India of the 90s was unable to take advantage of them. You'd think that in 15 years before this decade, they'd take advantage of breaks just freaking once and get lucky enough to win a Test - the fact that they didn't tells you quite a bit. And then all of a sudden there was this huge resurgence and India started winning tests on virtually every tour. Huge huge turnaround.

With England there was 'jellygate' and then 'harbygate' in Aus, Ind can't fly under the radar anymore with offialidom so it may not be an option anyway.
I quite enjoyed the England tour. There was jellygate, but that's a weird thing to blame on the Indian side. I suppose you think its appropriate to throw stuff on the pitch? You would be better off mentioning the beamer to KP and the intentional overstepping by Sreesanth - and as I've mentioned he's one of the idiots and I'd agree with you.

Warne's presence may have galvanised the team - it certainly did in Sri Lanka later on (he also would've done better than Stuart '50' MacGill, too, but that goes without saying). I agree with the rest of this, though.
Would he? He averages 62 in Australia vs. India. 50 would have been outperforming his usual (and he might have). It's really not his fault, and it's hard to hold a spinners performance against them in conditions like those, but let's not pretend something that isn't true. I think 62 is probably unlucky for him and doesn't represent his performances (and 5 is probably not quite enough to judge), but around 50 seems accurate in terms of how he bowled and how he was played and the pitches that existed.

Yeah, Zaheer Khan (and Sreesanth) had little to no role in the Test series. I still think that Australia was below their best during the series, though (with regards to catching, anyway).
Yea, I'd agree with that. Though sometimes pressure can do those things to anyone, especially if you're psyched up to break the world record of consecutive wins in a row and things aren't going your way. Of course, that's a guess and you'd be right in that their catching was not up to par.

For our part, we probably need to neutralise Anil Kumble and/or Sachin Tendulkar. :naughty:
Kumble is not the type of player he was, and it would depend on the pitches. If we give pitches like the first two Tests vs South Africa, you can kiss India goodbye. It remains to be seen if we can return to the type of pitches that made India very very hard to beat at home - assist spin throughout. It's getting rarer and rarer to find pitches like that. If we get those, I fancy our chances, but I fear that it maybe a dull drawn series if we get the wrong sort of pitches.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Y'think?

Personally I always thought Ganguly was a relatively poor tactician.

Yea, I wouldn't have problem calling him average or slightly below. He was adequete as I mentioned considering his other on field qualities (e.g, annoying the opposition). :p

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Wtf? How did India create 'jellygate'? England player(s) threw jellybeans on the pitch, and it's somehow India's fault? Not to mention, the Harbhajan/Symonds controversy involved both teams. Really don't see where you get off always having a go at the Indian team, their behaviour of recent times has been nothing worse than we've seen from Australia for the last decade (and more).
Misleading comment. Just about any on-field cricketing controversy will involve two (or 'both', as you put it) teams (or possibly even more, if umpires and officialdom comes into the equation).

Besides, isn't India's recent behaviour, according to official standards (not an ideal criteria, but the least subjective and nationalistic one out there, for my money), actually worse than Australia's?

As for the Harbhajan/Symonds controversy, let's just get over that, OK? That stuff came to pass months ago.