• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Dream XI

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with the point being made by weldone (even though I dont think Jayasuriya is a good choice for number four for specific reasons). But the logic is right. Mark Waugh's example is perfect.
Thanks...I disn't say Jayasuriya for number 4, but I said he can be a contender for number 6...He might not win, but deserves to be a contender ahead of some of the others...That's what I said...

By the way, I am surprised that you supported my point of view even after Lillian Thomson said a derogatory word about it...But then everything has a first :) ... [ Or is it because this thread is not about stats?]

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
He has 6 bowlers, not 7. 6 real options is good to have so you can mix things up and cover for anyone having a crap day, but 7 genuine bowlers is probably overkill IMO.
Sorry, I meant 6 too :ph34r: . Wrong key.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I have 6 bowlers and 7 batsmen. :) 2 Spinners. Then I have Waim and Warne both can swing their bats once in a while as well.
To each their own but IMO only having 5 genuine batsmen with a few all-rounders is risky.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Adam Gilchrist (WK)
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards
Ricky Ponting
Michael Bevan
Lance Klusener
Imran Khan (C)
Richard Hadlee
Wasim Akram
Saqlain Mushtaq
Glenn McGrath
my X1

- Tendulkar
- Gilchrist [wk]
- M Crowe
- Richards
- Pieterson
- Klusener
- Imran [C]
- Warne
- Wasim
- Hadlee
- Garner

Feel both teams have 1 bowler too many, tbh. Could go for some batter who can bowl instead of one of the bowlers, I feel.

bagapath

International Captain
Inzy and Steve Waugh are battling it out for the no.5 slot. kapil and hadlee are even for the last bowling spot.

after these two spots are frozen, i am itching to go to the finisher's poll (no.6). it will feature most of our favorites like kapil, symonds and bevan. that will also be a key selection in deciding the bowler - batsman balance in the team.

the team so far...

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Richards
Ponting
Inzy or Waugh
-----
Imran
Hadlee or Kapil
Akram
Warne
McGrath

looks good to me...

ret

International Debutant
Feel both teams have 1 bowler too many, tbh. Could go for some batter who can bowl instead of one of the bowlers, I feel.
you are probably right .... i will swap Bevan with Imran, and bat him above Klusener

my X1

- Tendulkar
- Gilchrist [wk]
- M Crowe
- Richards
- Pieterson
- Bevan
- Klusener
- Hadlee
- Warne
- Wasim
- Garner

now it looks good, imo

bagapath

International Captain
with inzy's slender lead over steve looks unchallenged, and kapil and hadlee staying on even keel, i am starting the finisher's slot now. may be it will help in resolving n05. and no.8 as well.

Fusion

Global Moderator
with inzy's slender lead over steve looks unchallenged, and kapil and hadlee staying on even keel, i am starting the finisher's slot now. may be it will help in resolving n05. and no.8 as well.
What happens if Waugh somehow takes the lead over Inzi since that poll is still open? You have him listed in the new poll, but not Inzi. A bit too impatient if you ask me.

bagapath

International Captain
horror of horrors... after days of inactivity steve waugh surges ahead of inzy...

kapil moves ahead of hadlee in the bowling poll too..

i plead guilty if inzy fans feel short changed for being denied to vote for him in the no.6 slot..

i hope symonds becomes a runaway winner and leaves no doubts in anyone's mind...

Fusion

Global Moderator
horror of horrors... after days of inactivity steve waugh surges ahead of inzy...

kapil moves ahead of hadlee in the bowling poll too..

i plead guilty if inzy fans feel short changed for being denied to vote for him in the no.6 slot..

i hope symonds becomes a runaway winner and leaves no doubts in anyone's mind...
:laugh: It's ok, lesson learned for next time.

bagapath

International Captain
bevan at 6 is leading symonds by a mile.. kapil is slightly ahead of hadlee in the no.8 poll

bagapath

International Captain
saturday night 11, india time
team so far...

tendulkar
gilchrist (wk)
richards
ponting
steve waugh
bevan
imran
kapil
akram
warne
mcgrath

bagapath

International Captain
monday night 9.00 PM, India

The team has not changed from the previous post... will go for the skipper's poll and complete the team soon

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Good team...Though I believe the selection procedure could have been slightly better, but brilliant effort from bagapath, especially considering that it's his first such effort...There are always learnings from the first effort and scope of improvement...But as a first effort this one has been superlative and commands applaud...

bagapath

International Captain
Good team...Though I believe the selection procedure could have been slightly better, but brilliant effort from bagapath, especially considering that it's his first such effort...There are always learnings from the first effort and scope of improvement...But as a first effort this one has been superlative and commands applaud...
thanks mate... i hope you dont take back those compliments if i tell you the truth that it is my second such attempt after we selected best XIs from different eras and then combined them to make one all time XI, though aussie tragic ran the polls for that thread that went on for 9 months.. this team has turned out alright.. and thanks again for the encouragement..

i am thinking of having only the cup winning skippers in the poll imran, ponting, waugh and kapil dev

do you guys think viv richards and wasim akram should be in the race too? or is anyone going to stake a claim for sachin, warne and gilly as well even though they never led in world cup?

Fusion

Global Moderator
i am thinking of having only the cup winning skippers in the poll imran, ponting, waugh and kapil dev

do you guys think viv richards and wasim akram should be in the race too? or is anyone going to stake a claim for sachin, warne and gilly as well even though they never led in world cup?
Cup winning skippers sounds right to me. Should be a fun poll...I'll be lobying for Imran! :)