• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL Indian XI

Which IPL team would you have playing for India?

• Bangalore Royal Challengers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mumbai Indians

• Delhi Daredevils

• Total voters

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
If one IPL team could be converted into an Indian team, which one would it be? We may be tempted to label the team winning the IPL to be the team, but it will take a lot more- local players performing, often against internationals, good team dynamics, versatility, and of course- a team that wins a lot.

Chennai Superkings- A popular team, but doesn't have it to be the Indian team. They're heavily reliant on foreign batsmen, and their bowling is toothless and skinny, despite having (albeit off-colour) Muralitharan. None of the locals are good enough for India, bar Dhoni and Raina.

Deccan Chargers- With as many as five foreign stars, they still ended up at the bottom. Obviously, with weak bowling and a local component that isn't much good- reason enough not to choose for an Indian team.

Bangalore Royal Challengers- This team's got a lot going against it. It's heavily dependent on foreign players, and their batsmen don't fit the bill in limited-overs matches. They've got several local players from outside the catchment, but few can make an Indian team- which won't be this one.

Kolkata Knightriders- Another star-studded but under-performing team. Definitely not the team we'd have playing for India, especially when it's way off-balance, lacks all-round options and is weak on the field. And they have dreadful team dynamics.

Kings XI Punjab- Close. Very close. This is as good as can get to make into Kings XI India. But we can't expect Shaun Marsh, even in our wildest dreams, to open the batting for India.

Rajasthan Royals- Lots of local players, who've come together under Shane Warne to work wonders. They seem to lack impact, though, and a lot of them are behind their counterparts from (guess where?) some other teams, but they have a shout- purely for teamwork, versatility and impact- even though they look like they'll miss out.

Mumbai Indians- Could have been THE team, but they couldn't make the semis. For some reason, they've got more than a few problem cases (Uthappa, Saurabh Tiwary, Pinal Shah)- highly promising players who haven't delivered. Tendulkar is still in with an outside chance.

Delhi Daredevils- As Indian as an IPL team can get. But you don't want that team's middle order to go on to play for India! Their bowlers, though, have barely got a chance, and have been inconsistent, but have done well to support McGrath. If wishes came true, McGrath and Maharoof (not the injury-prone, erratic Asif!) were Indians.

So it would have to be a combination of the Punjab Kings bowling with the Delhi top order, Dhoni, Swapnil and Yusuf Pathan- but to start, it would have to be the Kings.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Dont understand why you think Badrinath doesn't deserve to make it to the Indian side...
  1. There's a whole queue of batsmen
  2. And he's no Sachin Tendulkar
  3. Nor is he a Chris Gayle.
No doubt he may be one of the best domestic performers, but he's not that relevant considering what the Indian team needs, especially when the Sachin-Sourav-Rahul-Laxman bastion (or the Sachin-Sehwag-Gambhir-Yuvraj unit in ODIs) has been so difficult to break, even for multi-skilled players. Unless one of them is 'rested' for a long time, he doesn't have a chance.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Dont understand why you think Badrinath doesn't deserve to make it to the Indian side...
Because at least Sachin, Yuvraj, Rohit, Sehwag, Gambhir and even Dravid and Ganguly are better than him both in terms of form and class at this moment...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Dravid and Ganguly are not in the scheme of things for ODIs... I think that is pretty clear. He is the next best bat in the country after Rohit Sharma. I don't think there is any doubt about that either. And he has shown his adaptability batting at no.6 for this T20 side and bailing them out and also accelerating when needed... He is more than a handy bowler in ODIs and his fielding is top notch... And I wont put Sehwag ahead of him as an ODI batsman. Sehwag is a proven mediocre ODI batsman. Tests and T20s are a different story but it is obvious Sehwag won't be in our top 7 ODI batsmen list ATM.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
  1. There's a whole queue of batsmen
  2. And he's no Sachin Tendulkar
  3. Nor is he a Chris Gayle.
No doubt he may be one of the best domestic performers, but he's not that relevant considering what the Indian team needs, especially when the Sachin-Sourav-Rahul-Laxman bastion (or the Sachin-Sehwag-Gambhir-Yuvraj unit in ODIs) has been so difficult to break, even for multi-skilled players. Unless one of them is 'rested' for a long time, he doesn't have a chance.
lets hear about this "queue" of batsmen..

coz AFAIC, there is only one genuine young Indian batsman better than him and that is Rohit Sharma. Yuvraj, Dhoni, Gambhir, Rohit and of course Sachin are guys I would put ahead of him as ODI batsmen ATM... I don't see how Uthappa or Tiwary or Raina or even Karthik are better bets than Badri ATM.

And if only Gayles and Tendulkars can make it to the Indian ODI side... what the hell is Tiwary doing there? From what I have seen of him, the guy has no clue when balls are above 140 Ks.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag will certainly be opening for us. He's always been exceptional in test and t20 and by no means he's a proven failure in ODIs....He has ODI career stats (average and strike rate) similar to Jayasuriya's...That's in no way a proven mediocricy or something....Coupled with that his recent form...He's among the best 6 Indian ODI batsmen at the moment, not 7.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I don't see how Uthappa or Tiwary or Raina or even Karthik are better bets than Badri ATM.
Well, that you can surely argue...I feel it's Raina versus Badri for the last spot (if selectors don't want to put Ganguly or Dravid on the bench, that is)...Certaily Uthappa shouldn't be in contension and Tiwary has to wait for a while....

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
lets hear about this "queue" of batsmen..
I could go on and on, including Kaif, Tiwary, Raina, Manhas- but if one of them fails and Badrinath comes ahead, there's nothing to suggest that Badri fails and the next one comes ahead, and so on. It's like- switch one for another.

We don't know what value Badri will add to the team- because he no more than just another batting prospect right now.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sehwag will certainly be opening for us. He's always been exceptional in test and t20 and by no means he's a proven failure in ODIs....He has ODI career stats (average and strike rate) similar to Jayasuriya's...That's in no way a proven mediocricy or something....Coupled with that his recent form...He's among the best 6 Indian ODI batsmen at the moment, not 7.
Averages are just numbers. Jayasuriya had a number of poor innings and a number of big ones. And he had a very average start to his career and was batting at 7 or 8 for a number of matches. I wonder if someone can dig up his stats as an opener alone and then compare with Sehwag.

Sehwag had a great 2002 but beyond that, he has been extremely mediocre. As I have said so many times before, he seems to be confused about his role outside the powerplays in the middle overs. In tests and T20s, this middle overs problem doesn't occur and he is at his free flowing best. But I guess the middle overs confuse and tie him down in ODIs. I would much rather have him at his best for Tests and T20s where we really need him. It would help his confidence too if he doesn't play ODIs and keep getting out for quick 20s and 30s which eventually will result in people questioning his place in the test and T20 sides. We have Gambhir and Sachin who are prolific at the moment and are both openers. We don't need to mess up what we already have.

Sachin
Gambhir
Rohit
Yuvraj
Dhoni

The best 5 ODI batsmen in our country ATM IMHO and them batting at the top 5 for our ODI side will help us have a settled batting line up after a pretty long time.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I could go on and on, including Kaif, Tiwary, Raina, Manhas- but if one of them fails and Badrinath comes ahead, there's nothing to suggest that Badri fails and the next one comes ahead, and so on. It's like- switch one for another.

We don't know what value Badri will add to the team- because he no more than just another batting prospect right now.
Kaif, we have seen, has an inability to hit out when it matters. And he doesn't convert starts either batting at 3. That is why he was dropped. I don't see how he has gotten any better since then. As a test match prospect, sure I will put him ahead of Badri but even that would be contentious but ODIs, you have to be joking...

Tiwary.. you have to be joking, again. He looks hopeless against real pace and is no Uthappa either when it comes to shot making. His defence does look like Uthappa's though.. in that it is hardly worth mentioning anywhere...

Raina again has shown an inability to convert starts and that is what cost him his place. Same as Kaif, perhaps a little more ability in this form of the game than Kaif.

Manhas... what next? Some other north or Mumbai player we haven't heard of... Have you even checked Badri's A team stats as a batsman?

Hate on TN players all you want.. but at least try to talk some sense. Suggesting Manhas > Badri is juz ludicurous.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Sachin
Gambhir
Rohit
Yuvraj
Dhoni
Agreed they are the best 5, but they shouldn't be the top 5 in the batting order...one among the best 5 should come at no. 6 to take care of the last 10-15 overs (Dhoni)...Other four are good enough to take care of the first 35...And a good hitter is needed for the powerplays, that's Sehwag

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Averages are just numbers. Jayasuriya had a number of poor innings and a number of big ones. And he had a very average start to his career and was batting at 7 or 8 for a number of matches. I wonder if someone can dig up his stats as an opener alone and then compare with Sehwag.
A strike rate of over 96 with an average of 31 is good enough for a power hitter for me...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
A strike rate of over 96 with an average of 31 is good enough for a power hitter for me...
But those guys who do that job (Jayasuriya and Gilchrist are the only ones comparable) do other stuff for their sides. And unless SEhwag can bowl 8 overs or so every game as a genuine bowling option, I don't see the relevance of having him in the side ahead of other batsmen who can bat well in the middle order and add to our fielding and maybe our bowling options.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
But those guys who do that job (Jayasuriya and Gilchrist are the only ones comparable) do other stuff for their sides. And unless SEhwag can bowl 8 overs or so every game as a genuine bowling option, I don't see the relevance of having him in the side ahead of other batsmen who can bat well in the middle order and add to our fielding and maybe our bowling options.
If there is one in that top 6 who can bowl a bit in ODIs, that's Sehwag....And I feel Jayasuriya would have walked into the SL side any day even without bowling, so would Gilchrist in the present Indian team (in the place of Sehwag) without his keeping...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If there is one in that top 6 who can bowl a bit in ODIs, that's Sehwag....And I feel Jayasuriya would have walked into the SL side any day even without bowling, so would Gilchrist in the present Indian team (in the place of Sehwag) without his keeping...
Again, those guys average that much because of the crests and troughs of their scores, unlike Sehwag who is pretty consistent with his 20s and 30s.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Again, those guys average that much because of the crests and troughs of their scores, unlike Sehwag who is pretty consistent with his 20s and 30s.
So, then that makes Sehwag more consistent of the three :)

Edit: This comparison with Gilly or Jaya was for the sake of it. Sehwag is not as good as them in ODIs I agree, but he's good enough to sneak a place in the 11.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Jaya and Gilly are 2 of the best 15 bats in ODI ever...You don't have to be a Gilly or a Jaya to sneak a place in the 11...You can be slightly worse than them and still be playing...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So, then that makes Sehwag more consistent of the three :)

Edit: This comparison with Gilly or Jaya was for the sake of it. Sehwag is not as good as them in ODIs I agree, but he's good enough to sneak a place in the 11.
to be honest, we had the exact argument a couple of years ago in CW and I was then on the other side advocating that Sehwag should be in the side because others weren't good enough. But now things have changed, esp. with Gambhir coming in and showing the sort of form he has done... And the emergence of Raina, Nayyar, Uthappa, Badrinath etc. means that he has pretty stiff competition now and I would rather try out those guys first.