Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Should IPL performance be considered for national team selection ?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, But only for the Twenty20 Team

10 21.28%
  • Yes, For ODIs and Twenty20 both

32 68.09%
  • No, IPL performance doesn't prove anything

5 10.64%
  • Not Sure.

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should IPL performance be considered for National Team Selection ?

Should IPL performance be considered for National Team Selection ?

Sehwag suggested that it should be, What do you think . IMO it should be, atleast for ODIs and Twenty/20.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I've no problems with using it for Twenty20 and ODI - and I don't see why it shouldn't be the competition to decide those things. Playing against the best in the world should count for something.

For Test cricket though, the answer is a emphatic and resounding no. Ranji Trophy and First Class cricket should and absolutely must be the primary criteria for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Well, obviously someone like Marsh will looked upon in a better light, since he has performed so well in the IPL, I think selectors will surely take him into account when looking at Australia's 20-20 and possibly ODI teams. Whether they should do, I don't know, but it is inevitable that they will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

It should be taken at 100% face value for T20Is and should be taken with a lot of credance in combination with domestic one dayers. I believe that a good (doesn't have to be great) domestic record in combination with a great IPL shduld put someone in international contention.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    You'd think it makes sense for T20 certainly, I think that has to be seen as distinct from ODI for selection. Of course, there's a problem because scheduling makes you have to take the same squad for away matches.

Interesting one where some players aren't playing though. For example, Michael Clarke, Mitchell Johnson. What do you do about those players?

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    For Test cricket though, the answer is a emphatic and resounding no. Ranji Trophy and First Class cricket should and absolutely must be the primary criteria for that.
    Wait for the poll dear. Test cricket is not an option.

ret
    Option 2
    Fastest gun in town

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Twenty20 is utterly meaningless where ODIs are concerned. Twenty20 is more different from the one-day game - far more so - than the one-day game is from the First-Class.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

R_D
    For ODI and T20 for sure.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Twenty20 is utterly meaningless where ODIs are concerned. Twenty20 is more different from the one-day game - far more so - than the one-day game is from the First-Class.
    It's true. AWTA, as the kids are saying.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

yes performance at any high level tournament should be considered.......

even t-20 performance for tests..

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    I'm with Dicko on this one. IPL performances should play a part in only T20 selection.
    Forever 63* at the SCG

I think you can take aspects out of it for other forms of the game, especially one dayers. General things, like performance under pressure, ability in the subcontinent, bowling at the death, ability in powerplays, and how they've performed against some of the world's best bowlers.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Given Australia's current situation where Hayden is returning home because of injury I think Shaun Marsh's case for inclusion in the ODI team will be furthered by his contributions during the IPL. IPL form could also help Watson get drafted into the side. I doubt it would help with selection on the test team, but definitely think it could have an impact in selection for ODIs.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    I think you can take aspects out of it for other forms of the game, especially one dayers. General things, like performance under pressure, ability in the subcontinent, bowling at the death, ability in powerplays, and how they've performed against some of the world's best bowlers.
    Yep. You can't discard everything about it.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information