• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should IPL performance be considered for National Team Selection ?

Should IPL performance be considered for national team selection ?

• Not Sure.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag suggested that it should be, What do you think . IMO it should be, atleast for ODIs and Twenty/20.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I've no problems with using it for Twenty20 and ODI - and I don't see why it shouldn't be the competition to decide those things. Playing against the best in the world should count for something.

For Test cricket though, the answer is a emphatic and resounding no. Ranji Trophy and First Class cricket should and absolutely must be the primary criteria for that.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Well, obviously someone like Marsh will looked upon in a better light, since he has performed so well in the IPL, I think selectors will surely take him into account when looking at Australia's 20-20 and possibly ODI teams. Whether they should do, I don't know, but it is inevitable that they will.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
It should be taken at 100% face value for T20Is and should be taken with a lot of credance in combination with domestic one dayers. I believe that a good (doesn't have to be great) domestic record in combination with a great IPL shduld put someone in international contention.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
You'd think it makes sense for T20 certainly, I think that has to be seen as distinct from ODI for selection. Of course, there's a problem because scheduling makes you have to take the same squad for away matches.

Interesting one where some players aren't playing though. For example, Michael Clarke, Mitchell Johnson. What do you do about those players?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
For Test cricket though, the answer is a emphatic and resounding no. Ranji Trophy and First Class cricket should and absolutely must be the primary criteria for that.
Wait for the poll dear. Test cricket is not an option. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Twenty20 is utterly meaningless where ODIs are concerned. Twenty20 is more different from the one-day game - far more so - than the one-day game is from the First-Class.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think you can take aspects out of it for other forms of the game, especially one dayers. General things, like performance under pressure, ability in the subcontinent, bowling at the death, ability in powerplays, and how they've performed against some of the world's best bowlers.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Given Australia's current situation where Hayden is returning home because of injury I think Shaun Marsh's case for inclusion in the ODI team will be furthered by his contributions during the IPL. IPL form could also help Watson get drafted into the side. I doubt it would help with selection on the test team, but definitely think it could have an impact in selection for ODIs.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think you can take aspects out of it for other forms of the game, especially one dayers. General things, like performance under pressure, ability in the subcontinent, bowling at the death, ability in powerplays, and how they've performed against some of the world's best bowlers.
Yep. You can't discard everything about it.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agree

Whilst he was in the mix anyway, I'd have thought the Australian selectors would've taken notice of Shaun Marsh's performances

sideshowtim

Banned
Yes.

Now that Hayden has gone home from the West Indies I have little doubt that the selectors will call up Marsh for the ODI series -- they wouldn't have done so if it weren't for the IPL and probably would've kept Katich over there or something.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag suggested that it should be, What do you think . IMO it should be, atleast for ODIs and Twenty/20.
There's no surprise that Sehwag suggested it :)

I think to an extent yes, it should be considered for ODI and t20 selection...But that doesn't mean very good performances in 3-4 IPL matches (like Venugopal or Gony) should earn someone National cap; neiher is failue in IPL a huge point to ruin the career of a proven prospect (like Ishaant)...

But yes, if someone gives chances to Sehwag in ODI as an opener or drops Uthappa based on how they played in IPL, that's OK...This tournament is a good platform to judge them who are on the verge of selection...

Last edited: